Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Da Cooley Thrilla

• 16-08-2011 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

Anyone doing this on saturday? I have been talking about doing this one for a while but yet to do it.

What sort of times to complete the course.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

The Elites should finish the larger 51k loop in about 3 hours...Mere mortals about 5-6 hours...
    Better to do the shorter loop, you would be looking at around 3hours to complete depending on your fitness level...

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭MREGAN

I prefer longer events as it takes me ages to get going. Still would be a long way of the elites but time doesnt bother me.

Its a place I have never ridden but sounds amazing single track

From what i hear its a bit of grind to the top where the masts are but the desent is worth it from what i hear... should be a great day out just for the scenery alone :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭Rein-in

Looking forward to it! I did half of it on Sunday - the mast side - and the trails are in good nick, if a little on the soft side, but hopefully it won't rain too much between now and then.

I don't think that it's quite as long as advertised - iirc last years was only around 43 or 44 km and I think it's the same route this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jiffybag

I'm doing it for the first time , should be fun . New bike coming on Thursday, will probably get a baptism of fire in the Cooleys !!
    The longer route is 52km , maybe somebody from the host club could confirm distance and attach a Garmin style map of the route ?

• Advertisement

jiffybag wrote: »
    The longer route is 52km , maybe somebody from the host club could confirm distance and attach a Garmin style map of the route ?

http://dacooleythriller.wordpress.com/the-race/

*Edit, would like to know for sure if its 43k as per the Garmin on the site??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭Enduro

MREGAN wrote: »
    Its a place I have never ridden but sounds amazing single track

It's one of the best places in Ireland. Couldn't recommend this race strongly enough. Fantastic mountainbiking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭davey101

I'm doing it, have done it the last two years and i could swear the distance is getting longer each time! But still its a class race, a lot of big climbs and great decents along with superb open single track. I expect to do it in four hours.

Recommended kit for the bigger loop?

Camelback + bottle
    chainlinks
    puncture repair kit/tube
    Garmin! :)
    Powerbar/gels etc..
    Windbreaker
    multi-tool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭cipo

Yeah, giving this a belt too..

Good challenge! Not too concerned about how long it's gonna take... Love a nice long ride on the mtb.. Sufferfest!!

Heard it's great and trails are fantastic!

^^dont forget your chamois cream!!!^^ ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭Rein-in

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    *Edit, would like to know for sure if its 43k as per the Garmin on the site??

Here's a mate's Garmin route from last year and he measured 47km, if you compare it to the one linked above, there's a slight difference on the road up to the mast (at Tullaghomeath) which would account for the difference. It's going to be one or the other!

Here's what I did on it this evening - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/107099113. As far as I know, that's the short loop for this year aswell. [If Johnny is looking, I hope I'm not giving anything away! ;)]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭columbus_66

Did this event last year in between the road races and it was great fun. The last hour is a killer and the road section up to the mast is a real slog but that is the high point of the route so you could say it's more or less downhill from there! Great scenery, great mixture of trails, not much dismounting, and a super descent to the finish. All in all a great day out.

Would someone that is good on the descents make up much time lost on the climb or is it not a technical descent?

Not really no, Only one slightly technical decent its after the masts as far as i can remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭columbus_66

Yea the descent after the masts is a good one but overall not that much time to be made up on the descents, the one to the finish is short and just nice to finish that way.

Better get pedalling then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭Mr November

Any detailed (reliable!) forecasts for the area tomorrow?

Weather: 4seasons 1day.

Even if I had an 'accurate' weather prediction- this is Irish weather prediction and so I would ignore it completely.

I ll be packing a long sleeve jacket, maybe knee warmers- but no matter how bad it is, you're still always roasting on the mtb!!!!!
    ;-)

cipo wrote: »
    Weather: 4seasons 1day.

Even if I had an 'accurate' weather prediction- this is Irish weather prediction and so I would ignore it completely.

I ll be packing a long sleeve jacket, maybe knee warmers- but no matter how bad it is, you're still always roasting on the mtb!!!!!
    ;-)

This is true!...

Knee warmers!? :eek: Even up in the snow I've never got cold knee's on a bike!

I'm mildly optimistic that we'll get a half decent day... short sleave top all the way I reckon... if i get cold it just means I'm not pushing hard enough! :P

Yours dead right. Kneewarmers are madness... I was just thinking of using them if it pissed all day!!!! ;-(

As for being roasting- I'll be the one swearing on the start line.....

• Advertisement

The day of the Bull Raid there was flooding in Warrenpoint and newry yet when we got to bellurgan it was bright and sunny. We could see the weather coming in both sides but missing us most of the day.

Its only weather! As a wise man said there is no such thing as bad weather, Just bad preparation for it.

Well what a day it turned out to be, i brought my rain jacket and ended up getting a serious burning. That has to be the best weather the part of the country has seen in a long time.
    Anyway great race, great pasta, great showers, great t-shirt and a PB from me :D Did it in 3.52, i was so sore on that last decent, Jebus my hands and arms were hanging by the time i got to the finish line.
    I did see one boardsie at the start area didnt get a chance to say hello as we were just heading off and i was trying hard to get up the front :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Any link to the results??Great weaher should lead to fast time's.

Any link to the results?

Amazing finish time by Ireland's No.1 Mountain biker: http://dacooleythriller.wordpress.com/results/

It's days like that which make me appreciate this country. What a stunningly amazing setting for a race. It's a shame 95% of the country are too lazy to get off their 'fat x-factor watching arses' to see it for themselves...

That's my 'positive' spin on the day anyway!... In reality it was 52k of absolute self enduced sadistic torture!... but what a buzz (relief!) seeing those yellow flags at the finish :cool:

Class event and brilliantly organised. Well done to all involved

Brilliant event, well organised.

Cuchullain are some club!! Fair play to then. They deserve all the praise they're getting.

Really enjoyed my ride in the Cooleys- great spot to ride your mtb for a good long torture session!!

Will be doing that again....

Seymour is a beast!! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭instinct

Yes an awesome event. Never ridden in a group with so many. The spin around the village before the start was a spectacle.

But torture, suffering, cramp, pain like I have never felt. Getting to the finish was a achievement. If there is only one thing I will look back on and take pride in it is that. The rest, including my poor performance Id rather forget but then there is always next year and the preparation before it.

Keep an eye out for the ballyhoura marathon coming up soon.

http://www.wix.com/tballyhoura/tballyhoura

• Registered Users Posts: 8 SpartanBaz

Hmm that Ballyhoura xc looks interesting, I'll have to read up on that one!

Took me about 5 and a half hours to complete the Cooley Thriller, I heard afterwards some dude completed it TWICE on the day :-o Amazing stuff on such a tough course!

Advertisement