Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Jodi Picoult fans here?

Options
  • 16-08-2011 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

I read My Sister's keeper a few years back and really enjoyed it.

The other day whilst browsing the book section of my local Oxfam I found another of Jodi's books called 'Salem Falls' and promptly snapped it up.

Can anyone recommend any of her other books that they read and loved.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Brian017

I read My Sister's Keeper too and I loved it (shame they messed about with the ending for the film but thats another discussion in another forum)

The first book of hers that I read was The Pact, at the recommendation of a friend, which I enjoyed. Maybe you should give that a go if you haven't already.

I'm also reading Nineteen Minutes at the moment which is proving to be a though read but hopefully its just a slow burner and I get into it soon

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

I'm a big Jodi Picoult fan. I've read House Rules, My Sister's Keeper, The Pact, Perfect Match, The Plain Truth, Salem Falls, The Tenth Circle, and Vanishing Acts (I made all my favourites bold). They were all excellent reads. Jodi Picoult chooses good topics and her writing style really pulls you in. I've got Nineteen Minutes and Handle With Care in a stack of books waiting to be read.

Someone told me that Diane Chamberlain's books were very similar to Jodi Picoult's. Is that true? Has anyone here read her stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I've read My Sister's Keeper, The Pact, Handle With Care, Mercy, Plain Truth, Nineteen Minutes, Salem Falls, Keeping Faith, Change of Heart, Vanishing Acts and Perfect Match.

I liked My Sister's Keeper, The Pact and Plain Truth (these three are the best), Nineteen Minutes, Keeping Faith and Change of Heart.

I didn't like the others, Mercy and The Tenth Circle in particular but wouldn't re-read any of the rest. (And I'm big on re-reading). Some of them just strive too hard for a thought-provoking storyline to an almost embarassing level whereas in others it's effortless. Also there's a recurring theme of huge dramatic court cases and it gets old, fast- for which reason I am not buying any more of her books (there's about 5 I don't have).

Diane Chamberlain is a better writer- they're similar in that they have dramatic storylines but they flow so much better and it's never forced. I've read Before the Storm and The Bay at Midnight- I'll buy a few others if I see them but I never do, it's only ever those two. I highly recommend her though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Kauto0709

I'm a fan of Jodi Picoult. Have just finished reading "House Rules" which I really enjoyed. Have also read "My Sister's Keeper", "Plain Truth" and "Vanashing Acts". I'm reading "The Tenth Circle" now but I don't like the way it's written. I prefer the way she usually tells the stories from the different characters point of views. I find the chapters in this book very long..

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

I have only read two of Jodi Picoults books - House Rules and Change of Heart. I really didn't like them at all. I felt like the plots were just a bit ridiculous and in House Rules she spent the entire book leading up to some sort of twist at the end but it was completely obvious from the beginning. I just didn't get it.

I've heard great things about My Sister's Keeper though. Is it worth reading if I didn't appreciate her other books?

• Advertisement

Definately! "My Sister's Keeper" is brilliant!!

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

Yeah I think I've read nearly all her books. I went through a phase where she was the only author I would buy. But... then I read Vanishing Acts (I think it was that one) which was about ghosts, and I nearly put my head through a window trying to escape the horrible plot. And haven't read any of the new work because between that and the nonsense of 'change of heart'.

I read her first novel 'Songs of the Humpback Whale' as well which is in a way completely different to her other work, there is not that 'hook' of the moral dilemma, which she is a master of. It's more prose, which is nice, but it highlights her deficiencies as a writer (for me anyway, although it was her first one so maybe I should cut her some slack!)

As for Diane Chamberlain I read 'The Secret Life of CeeCee Wiles' which was good. Very similar to Picoult although Picoult edges it with the likes of My Sisters Keeper and Nineteen Minutes.

Edit: Actually just had a look at Picoults bibliography on wikipedia and it would appear I've read all of her books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 upwoodmihalios

I'm a big Jodi Picoult fan.

I just finished "The Tenth Circle", have to say I wasn't that impressed! On to "Change of Heart" now...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

x_Ellie_x wrote: »
    I'm a big Jodi Picoult fan. I've read House Rules, My Sister's Keeper, The Pact, Perfect Match, The Plain Truth, Salem Falls, The Tenth Circle, and Vanishing Acts (I made all my favourites bold). They were all excellent reads. Jodi Picoult chooses good topics and her writing style really pulls you in. I've got Nineteen Minutes and Handle With Care in a stack of books waiting to be read.

Someone told me that Diane Chamberlain's books were very similar to Jodi Picoult's. Is that true? Has anyone here read her stuff?

I'm a huge fan of Jodi Picoult but I actually find Diane Chamberlain's books to be better. Sometimes I find I really have to force myself to read Picoult just because I want to know the ending. With Chamberlain, I find myself getting emotionally attached to her characters. I snapped up a lot of her books in my local charity shop and read 3 of them in a week.

• Advertisement

I just finished "The Tenth Circle", have to say I wasn't that impressed! On to "Change of Heart" now...

Tenth Circle is awful. My least favourite of her books.

Just finished "Change of Heart", it was brilliant...couldn't put it down!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I'm a fan of Jodi Picoult but also Diane Chamberlain :):)

I've read all of Diane Chamberlain's books that I can get my hands on since that last post, but they do seem to be getting weaker. The Midwife's Confession was great but The Lies we Told and the other recent one which I can't remember the name of
    the one with Liam, Mara and the pregnancy etc
    were much weaker. I really want to find The Lost Daughter book but can't get it anywhere.

I refuse to look at the Jodi Picoult part, but I do re-read some of the better ones, My Sister's Keeper, 19 minutes and Plain Truth especially.

I've read all of Diane Chamberlain's books that I can get my hands on since that last post, but they do seem to be getting weaker. The Midwife's Confession was great but The Lies we Told and the other recent one which I can't remember the name of
    the one with Liam, Mara and the pregnancy etc
    were much weaker. I really want to find The Lost Daughter book but can't get it anywhere.

I refuse to look at the Jodi Picoult part, but I do re-read some of the better ones, My Sister's Keeper, 19 minutes and Plain Truth especially.

The Lost Daughter is brilliant. Really recommend it, I got it in Oxfam! Didn't like the shadow wife and the lies we told as much, but they were still decent reads. I'm reading the Bay at midnight at the minute and have to say I'm really enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

If you like her, Jodi is doing a reading in Dun Laoghaire on the 30th March at 7.30pm :)

Tickets cost 5 Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Vahevala wrote: »
    If you like her, Jodi is doing a reading in Dun Laoghaire on the 30th March at 7.30pm :)

Tickets cost 5 Euro.

What bookstore do you know???

Autosport wrote: »
    What bookstore do you know???

It's the Pavillion Theatre.

lizt wrote: »
    The Lost Daughter is brilliant. Really recommend it, I got it in Oxfam! Didn't like the shadow wife and the lies we told as much, but they were still decent reads. I'm reading the Bay at midnight at the minute and have to say I'm really enjoying it.

The Bay at Midnight is definitely my favourite. Before the Storm seems to get as much attention, not as good but still very good.

The Bay at Midnight is definitely my favourite. Before the Storm seems to get as much attention, not as good but still very good.

I didn't really like before the storm to be honest. Didn't like the ending.

Finished The Bay at Midnight, definitely one of my favourites.

• Advertisement

Was anyone else at the reading last night? It was really good, Jodi came across as such a lovely woman!

Advertisement