Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling Celbridge

• 16-08-2011 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for some local knowledge, direct personal experience or informed opinion here.

This is, I think, a gyratory in Celbridge.

What is it like negotiating this junction on a bike, compared to this large junction in the Netherlands for example?

Any other cycling-related comments on this Irish junction, which I am led to believe is state-of-the-art for cyclists in Ireland? I presume that legal, infrastructural and cultural matters are all relevant.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    I'm looking for some local knowledge, direct personal experience or informed opinion here.

This is, I think, a gyratory in Celbridge.

What is it like negotiating this junction on a bike, compared to this large junction in the Netherlands for example?

Any other cycling-related comments on this Irish junction, which I am led to believe is state-of-the-art for cyclists in Ireland? I presume that legal, infrastructural and cultural matters are all relevant.
    eh..... it's a motorway flyover roundabout thingy. You cycle around it, just like the cars drive around. Same as any other roundabout 'cept this one has a hole in the middle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's not Friday. I don't understand what's going on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I'm going to guess that the OP is trying to compare the cycle lane facilities on our roundabout to those on a similarly large roundabout in NL.

My answer to that is that they appear quite similar in terms of segregating the cycle lane out of the way to "cross" the on/offramp. One difference is in the demarcation of the "crossing" (cycling/footpad:pac:) traffic. In NL this traffic gets the zebra crossing and ramp to highlight this traffic.

The other difference is that it is probably safer and easier to use the road "as normal" here than it is to use the cycling infrastructure in NL where the road traffic tends to go around and cycling goes through.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

OK they are not equvalent junctions as the Irish one is a rural motorway junction and the Dutch one is an urban roundabout.

Also the Dutch cyclists have roads dedicated to cyclists that run parallel to the other roads and are catered for at the junctions. The Irish treatment is a red-painted "footway" at the road edge.

So rather than being cycling facilities the Irish version is a motoring facility

Advertisement