Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Osteochondritis dissecans

• 16-08-2011 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi,

Has anyone on here every had a dog with Osteochondritis dissecans (OCD)? Our poor irish setter is 22 weeks & we had her back in vet again today.
    She is currently waiting to get x-ray to see what the issue is, have been looking up internet & Osteochondritis dissecans comes up alot. Was just looking for real life information.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I've no experience of OCD but I do have experience of looking up symptoms online and stressing out lol!!! Hold off until you get the xrays done and try not to worry. It's a lot easier said than done I know. My guy got tons of xrays done and i had him diagnosed with all sorts while we waited for results and second opinions. He has a hock deformity btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭kmmh58

I suppose its a case of animal self diagnosis :)

She's had her Xrays & we have an appointment this evening @ 5.45pm to get the results. I feel sick with worry, poor little snooki, hope its not too serious.

I will let you all know once I get the results.

So having been to the Vet today, it turns out she has a fracture in both her shoulders. They said this was quite unusual never really came across it.

They are sending the xray's off to the ortho surgeon for a 2nd opinion.
    Does anyone have any experience with this?

They've told us to keep her caged for 2 weeks. Well this is a red setter keeping her caged is going to be hard hard work. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

kmmh58 wrote: »
    So having been to the Vet today, it turns out she has a fracture in both her shoulders. They said this was quite unusual never really came across it.

They are sending the xray's off to the ortho surgeon for a 2nd opinion.
    Does anyone have any experience with this?

They've told us to keep her caged for 2 weeks. Well this is a red setter keeping her caged is going to be hard hard work. :D

We had 6 weeks of crate rest! It's not that bad you just have to be tough and ignore the saucer eyes asking you to let them out!! :D Do you have a Kong? We fed all the meals in Kongs to keep him busy and he had nylabones too. I ended up with 4 kongs - 2 on the go and 2 in the dishwasher lol! :pac: We played loads of clicker games like which hand(is the treat in), touch, look, leave it take it etc. You can work on stay too - obviously they're not going anywhere lol but you can work on building up how long you can leave her and eg going into the next room.

6 weeks agony. It's only been a few hours & we are cracking. Thanks for the suggestions though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

I've just finished 6 weeks of crate rest with my guy who had a knee operation. It wasn't as bad as expected, after the first two weeks I extended the crate by barricading a corner of my living room so he could move a little and stretch out and lie down without overdoing it. I also got him an x pen for outside so on good days he could get some fresh air and have some sun and smells. He's quite sensible and good at accepting that he's been put a place and shouldn't get out though, I wouldn't risk a pen with a jumpy dog!

Now he's six weeks post op, he's progressed to having the living room to move around in, but he'll be on restricted activity for another few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Aw the poor girl, best of luck, definitely recommend the kongs.

Any idea how it happened? Does the vet think they're old fractures, from before you got her? Not the same obviously, but my nephew broke his collar bone as he was being born, wonder if this could have been a traumatic birth?

the vet did not really know how they happened. We had her for 2 weeks when she fell off a garden chair, hit the ground & started yelping. the vet gave her anti-inflammatory & she seemed perfect.
    On Sunday we were playing & she bashed into the kitchen door, more yelping started to limp a little after. Yesterday the limp was so bad when she came home from dog sitter (bf mom), so organised for vet this morning.
    We have a small kong, so gona get a bigger one tomorrow on the way home from work.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

kmmh58 wrote: »
    the vet did not really know how they happened. We had her for 2 weeks when she fell off a garden chair, hit the ground & started yelping. the vet gave her anti-inflammatory & she seemed perfect.
    On Sunday we were playing & she bashed into the kitchen door, more yelping started to limp a little after. Yesterday the limp was so bad when she came home from dog sitter (bf mom), so organised for vet this morning.
    We have a small kong, so gona get a bigger one tomorrow on the way home from work.:)

Oh yes, I remember her falling off the chair, and how worried you were when that happened. Poor little thing. I'm sure she'll enjoy being spoiled rotten now for the next few weeks:)

Advertisement