Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Measurement Units Question

Options
  • 16-08-2011 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Hi,

I made grenola bars the other day for the first time which turned out pretty well, the only thing is that they didn't bind perfectly. I reckon using butter instead of oil (followed recipe) would provide better results.

So, my question is.... How much butter would be equivalent to a mugful of sunflower oil? Can't find out elsewhere so said I'd try ever reliable boards!

Thanks for your help in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

The problem with using sunflower oil in that sort of a recipe is that it is not a solid at room temp like butter usually is. The butter binds the ingredients together, oil won't do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,419 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

A mugfull is quite a vauge measurement. i'm not being funny, but the equivalent amount of butter would be a mugfull. Butter and oil are pretty much directly transferable.

And, coconut oil might be the best option.
    Tastes the best, is solid at room temp, and is the healthiest oil/fat

• Registered Users Posts: 11,457 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

So you want to substitute the oil and replace it with butter?

They are pretty much the same density, so put your measuring mug on the scales and zero the scales, pour the oil into the mug and measure the amount to oil on its own weights. This weight corresponds to how much butter you should put in

duploelabs wrote: »
    So you want to substitute the oil and replace it with butter?

They are pretty much the same density, so put your measuring mug on the scales and zero the scales, pour the oil into the mug and measure the amount to oil on its own weights. This weight corresponds to how much butter you should put in
    Would it not be easier to fill the mug with butter?

The density of oil for cooking isn't that far off water. 1ml = just less than 1g
    100ml is something like 91 or 92 grams

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Mellor wrote: »
    Would it not be easier to fill the mug with butter?

The density of oil for cooking isn't that far off water. 1ml = just less than 1g
    100ml is something like 91 or 92 grams
    The only trouble is smearing it into the mug to fill the full volume, and cleaning it out again, could be melted I suppose. You can use the density trick you mention though. Put the mug on the scale, zero it and fill it with water, if it is 300g, then you need 300*0.9=270g butter.

• Advertisement

I make a chocolate cake in a mug with table spoon measurements and i melt it like you suggest.

But multipling mls by .9 would be perfect for any recipie imo

Advertisement