Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ashfield college - Have any LC repeaters tried it?

Options
  • 16-08-2011 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm just wondering if I can get some insight from some ex Ashfield students on the place. I was thinking about going back to do my Leaving Cert there as I heard alot about it over the years from the time I done mine. I recently rang them up and felt encouraged to give it a shot, only for them to tell me the fees for the year were €5000. Yes my jaw hit the floor. It's an aweful lot of money for someone like me who doesn't have a job, nevermind a good one, to pay for this. That's why I'd really appreciate some info about this place and if it is really worth it. I'll be going there to have a chat with the founder and the principal on Thursday to find out a bit for myself what it's like, but I'd love that valuable knowledge from an ex student.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 TeachMealog

There is an open day on saturday http://www.ashfieldcollege.ie/?page_id=206
    It may be worth going to.
    Also look up rate my teachers/facebook groups and other forums to see how they rate

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I know one of the teachers who tutors there and he is top notch! If the standard of teachers in the school is any way like this guy, it would be well worth the money. (I had him as a teacher in another institution).

Just to ask - is there a reason you particularly want to resit the Leaving Certificate? There are many ways to get into third level education as a mature student. In my opinion, doing the full leaving certificate wouldn't be the easiest of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Lenmeister

I know what you mean, but I've heard from friends that applying as a mature student is extremely hard and you will most likely be refused. Considering the current economy I can only imagine it will get worse. They listed things you need and must do to qualify and I have very little of them. Sure it's always worth a shot but this is probably the safest way to get the points and for the most part guarentee a place in future in whatever course - as long as you study hard and get the points. I don't want to be 1 of the ones who tries and fails and has nothing to fall back on except another application the next year.

Either way I got very little in my LC the 1st time around and my options are extremely limited. I've very few choices at the moment and it's either apply as a mature student or go do my LC again. I know you say there are many ways to get in but I've been to college before, there aren't that many ways to get into a good course in a university. Trying not to sound pessimistic or cynical but you basically need the points or need to get very lucky and be chosen as 1 of the few mature students who qualifies for a place.

PS I know about the open day Teach, was on the phone with them earlier, thanks though. The rate my teachers sounds like a good idea though.

What area are you hoping to get into?

Science UCD points were 450 or something last year. I dont 3 science subjects for the LC though so that will count somewhat.

• Advertisement

Lenmeister wrote: »
    Science UCD points were 450 or something last year. I dont 3 science subjects for the LC though so that will count somewhat.

It might be a bit late now, but if you enrolled in the access to science course in UCD, once you get 60% average in your subjects you are guaranteed a place on the course!! The really good teacher I speak of above, taught me on this course!

Here's the contact details: http://www.ucd.ie/adulted/prospectivestudents/accesscourses/accesstoscienceandengineering/ I'd get in touch tomorrow and see if there are places available still.

Funny you should mention that as I had a look at it a few days ago. I could not even make sense of the Sample Maths Test A or B! Though it seemed all the information was missing. It also seems like they make you do the exact same thing that a college does to see if you quaify as a mature student - Sit an interview, take certain tests to assess your abilities in different areas etc. And there's a €1750 fee? I hope you can get assistance with that.

Funny you should mention that as I had a look at it a few days ago. I could not even make sense of the Sample Maths Test A or B! Though it seemed all the information was missing. It also seems like they make you do the exact same thing that a college does to see if you quaify as a mature student - Sit an interview, take certain tests to assess your abilities in different areas etc. And there's a €1750 fee? I hope you can get assistance with that.

Those Maths tests seem to be a new entry assessment. I didn't have to do that. The tests aren't that difficult if you know what you're doing, you just need to know what sequence you need to start working out the sum. BODMAS should help you calculate it! http://www.mathsisfun.com/operation-order-bodmas.html

Well, first you sit in a lecture. You are given time to write an essay on what the lecturer has covered. I just regurgitated what he spoke about. It's to see how your writing, listening and comprehension skills are like. You're then called for an interview. It's a pretty informal interview to see what you are like and what you want out to get out of the course and are you committed to the course. The course is over subscribed every year and they want to make sure if they give the place to you, you stick the year out. There is a good few people that drop out every year for whatever reason.

I think you can pay the fee in instalments.

You seem to be negative about the course. I highly recommend going for it if you want to study Science at third level. I got offered places in my top three choices after I completed this course. The year before I got none. It's a much better way of doing it than doing the full leaving certificate where you'll do subjects that you'll have no interest in. It's also helped me get up to a standard that is equal to the school leavers.

I really should start getting commission from them! :pac:

Haha sorry sorry - but I said I might sound pessimistic or cynical :P I'm going in to UCD on monday morning with the application form. Their lecture is on wednesday. They said it would not be too late but that I am cutting it very close either way. See I never knew about any of all these options until only recently.. God knows how long most of them have been around. Anywho, I'm still a little worried about passing whatever tests they give me. It's been a long time since I did any real acadamia to do with science or maths.

I'm actually waiting to hear about a visa currently so I hope this doesn't impede my chances of getting onto the course, though I imagine it will.

Oh yes about the fee, if you've been out of the education system for more than 5 years then you must pay fess. No idea why but that's what I heard on the phone just a while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭cairdre

Hi

Not sure how you got on and if you are totally set on UCD Science but have a look at this link for Colaiste Dhulaigh. I know Colaiste Ide also do science for pre-entry.

Could be worth a look.

http://www.colaistedhulaigh.ie/full-time-courses/science-and-technology/pre-university-science.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

Hi there,

Not sure who advised on the fee issue.

The best place to look is here: http://www.hea.ie/en/student_finance and specifically here: http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp9377/course-fees/index.html

Most courses at third level are funded by the Free Fees Initiative, the 5 year rule you refer to is that you must not have been in third level in the past 5 years. Say you finished a degree 4 years ago, then you will not be eligible for the 1st year of your degree. This is not applicable to you if this is your first attempt at third level.

I note you mention a visa, there different rules for non EU residents.

In order for the free fees you should have been resident in an EU/EEA/Swiss State for three of the five years proceeding the year of entry.

If you are from outside the EU then the course will have to be paid for by you.

I am making that assumption on notice of the visa. If that is irrelevant then apologies!

Best of luck !

I'm only interested in UCD Science. Thanks for the link though. Good to know there's more places around.

I must have misheard the woman on the phone, she said I'd be fine, so what you say makes sense. I didn't mean waiting on a visa for Ireland, I'm Irish. I'll head to this thing on wednesday and see how I get on. If I get a visa I can always cancel, better check the story with that too while I'm there monday.

Haha sorry sorry - but I said I might sound pessimistic or cynical :P I'm going in to UCD on monday morning with the application form. Their lecture is on wednesday. They said it would not be too late but that I am cutting it very close either way. See I never knew about any of all these options until only recently.. God knows how long most of them have been around. Anywho, I'm still a little worried about passing whatever tests they give me. It's been a long time since I did any real acadamia to do with science or maths.

The access course in UCD celebrated 10 years this year! :)

I'd advise looking at those Maths sample tests and doing a bit of research on -line or if you know someone who is good at Maths to go through it with you before you have to sit the test. It's easy once you know how. (and this is coming from someone who is not the best at Maths. The Maths tutor on the course is excellent!)
    Oh yes about the fee, if you've been out of the education system for more than 5 years then you must pay fess. No idea why but that's what I heard on the phone just a while ago.

I don't really understand what you're saying here? The access course is a part-time course and not covered by the Free Fees scheme, hence why you have to pay.

Just to say, make sure you fill out the application properly and state why you want to do the course and where you want to go from there.

And good luck for Wednesday! :)

The lecture was today, learnt all that stuff years ago and don't have a clue what the formulas etc are anymore lol. Went well I think, we'll see. Someone said they could call as early as Friday. They made youwrite out an essay based on what you thought of the lecture, I tried to talk the way I think nowadays but meh, if someone is better at wording things than me I'll lose out, let's see what happens ^_^

Advertisement