Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Steak in Galway

Options
  • 16-08-2011 2:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Interested to know where people think is the best steak in the city...have some steak-eaters visiting soon and would like to find a good steakhouse

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Try Scotty's Steakhouse in Cúirt na Coiribe. Best burgers in (just outside of...) town. Haven't had their steaks, but have dined with people who've gotten them. They're supposed to be some of the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

According to the Best Of sticky:
    Cajun Fillet Steak in McSwiggans but Park House is probably close.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭SparKing

Best burgers in (just outside of...) town.
    I'll have to disagree, quantity over quality.
    Boogaloo Burger, Jack Duggans Kitchen, Gourmet Tart Co. (Salthill), even Eddie Rockets are better.
    Haven't had their steaks,
    Hearsay, your honour.
    McSwiggans does a good steak even though a lot of people consider the place to be old-fashioned, I don't see that would apply to a steak though, their Surf 'n Turf is good.
    Since Boogaloo Burger rebranded itself as a Steak and Burger place, I had a nice Ribeye Steak there, I think if you book ahead you get a free bottle of wine when you spend over €45, but that was a while ago.
    Can see this being a busy thread

Sorry biko, is that sticky a closed thread?

No worries, that sticky is just the best foods in Galway summarized by dinneenp as a suggestion to new-comers to the forum.
    If you want to have a thread separate that's cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

+1 for Bugaloo Burger

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭puddinboxxx

claregalway hotel if you wanna go outa the city by ten mins

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

Would have to agree on the McSwiggan's Cajun Fillet. Kirby's/Busker's used to do a fine rib-eye too but I haven't had it in a while. Mmmmm I feel like a shteeak for dinner now!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I liked KC Blakes steak years ago...haven't had a steak in a Galway restaraunt in a long time...those were the days!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

SparKing wrote: »
    Jack Duggans Kitchen

Are you serious? That was one of the worst burgers I've ever eaten. It tasted like pork. They aren't even homemade. They're brought in shaped and processed from a foods company. How difficult is it to make a homemade burger out of mince meat?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Best steak I've had in Galway was in the ardilaun hotel 2yrs ago. As a whole galways steak offerings are pretty poor, looking forward to reading some more suggestions though.

1 That was one of the worst burgers I've ever eaten. It tasted like pork. 2 They aren't even homemade. 3 How difficult is it to make a homemade burger out of mince meat?

1 - I love Pork burgers.
    2 - Fair enough;, though that doesn't mean they can't taste nice,
    3 - Judging on how hard it can be to get a good burger in town? it seems very.

Bit off topic anyway, it seems it's hard enough to get a daycent steak in Galway, always thought there'd be a market for an out and out Steakhouse in Galway City.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

-1 for Scotty's.

It's gone downhill fast.
    It used to be always busy but not so much anymore. I was there for a kid's party 2 weeks ago and it was poor. I had a burger which was bland. The father of the kid had a steak and he was disappointed. To be fair, the kids all enjoyed their meals. And the deserts were good.

6/10

(It was 9/10 in 2008)

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭left_behind

I had a steak in the new restauraunt Kai on the sea road. Fantastic steak. They change their menu regularly so you might be unlucky.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 204 ✭✭GuessWho2009

would recommend scotty. love there steak and there chicken wings, even if there wings arent is nice as eddie rockets one. there menu is up at www.whatsfordinner.ie/menu_scottys_steakhouse_galway.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jmauel

I agree on Kai. I had a steak there a few weeks ago and must say it was the best I ever had in a restaraunt. ( I cook a mean steak)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

The steak in the Dail isnt bad but i was after a few pints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭inkwell

O'Connors in Doolin. I never eat steak - only there once a year, dont know why its great. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭carmex21

#2 for Kai. Steak is amazing. It was a strip loin cut the night I was there. The only thing to look out for if you are going with meat eaters is that there is a lot of fish on the menu. The fish is lovely and they have unusual choices but it means usually only 1 meat selection...

Oscars have lovely steak too - the menu is more varied and would be happy to eat in either!

I had a great steak in Ard Bia but only after the waitress had spotted that it was medium and not rare and changed it for rare. Long story short but they forgot our order and by the time the steak arrived I was so hungry I didn't say anything. The waitress noticed and I got a new rare steak pronto which was pretty good.

Ranking them would probably be 1. Kai, 2. Oscars, 3. Bk's (closedd), 4. Ard Bia
    Oh, just to say that Kappa Ya have amazing steak but it is not really a steak venue - you would have to like Japanese style cooking. But if you do the meal menu with Teppanyaki steak is out of this world!!

I never cook steak as I am usless at the timings - I like it rare, rare and more rare!- so I order steak quite often when eating out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Oscars on Dominick Street...their fillet steak is just gorgeous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

had a lovley steak cooked in garlic butter in padhraicians in furbo (few mins drive)

well worth it, have had scotties a few times,good steak, cactus jacks do good food, galway needs a real steakhouse where the meat is the main attraction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Arianna_26

The Malt House do a very nice steak.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 theprisoner

+1 for Kai had steak there savage.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Think I'll try Kai next time i wanna treat myself to steak :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

For consistently good steak it is very hard to beat Park House.

Either the Fillet or the Surf n' Turf are excellent.

...... and the service from the well trained staff is second to none.

.......and the wine list is varied and hard to pick a bad bottle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 samuelj

why is there no proper steakhouse in town?

Proper BBQ food etc, it would clean up

Had the steak yesterday in Nimmo's, medium.
    At 25 euro I must say I'd expect more.
    It was nice but I've had the same or better for half that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

inkwell wrote: »
    O'Connors in Doolin. I never eat steak - only there once a year, dont know why its great. :pac:

I had a good steak in America, I should post about it in a best steak in Galway thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bellebell

How about buy some and cook yourself, recently bought steaks in butcher by tescos thought they were dear best steak ever cost €8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭chris1970

had a striploin steak in rouge domicks street last saturday week,$ , lovely, cheap you never bother buying and cooking for the price of the meal, good stuff nice to recommended a place, artisan over tig neachtains recommeded too $$, different style higher price, agree with last post, buy your own, dunnes sirloin, normally good, marinade over night or for 4 hours min ,in light soy sauce, ketchup,pepper , you wont get better :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement