Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Steak in Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Kai has great steaks when they are on the menu - second best would be Rouge in Dominick Street - consistently good.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Bit old thread but sure, steaks are timeless.
    Best steak so far has been in Kai but they don't always serve them so you have to be lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭macgabhs

I had the 10oz Ribeye in the Huntsman during the week and have to say it was very very good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

The Summerfield does a fantastic steak out in claregalway. The place itself isnt much to look at, outside or in, but it's well worth a visit for the food.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I am actually going to change my vote from Kai to Massimo.

Just because of the price difference and it's about the same quality, they use the same supplier for beef as far as I know and the lads from Cava aren't too shabby when it comes to frying beef.

Great value, especially on thursdays, €15 for a steak and a pint.

Menu say's 10oz but the last one I was was probably over 12oz. maybe tipping 13, it was insanely big. Use the pint glass to judge the scale!

351guop.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

You could buy this and this plus the meat and still cost a load less than dinner for 2 at Kai. Plus you'd have enough steak spice to make awesome steaks every week for about 3 years.

newkie wrote: »
    You could buy this and this plus the meat and still cost a load less than dinner for 2 at Kai. Plus you'd have enough steak spice to make awesome steaks every week for about 3 years.

Two good sized steaks from Brady's or Castlemain would run at about €15.

So that's €30 for the steaks and the (terrible quality) grill pan.
    Then 28.50 for the seasoning.

So that's €58.50 for two steaks, a bad pan and some seasoning (Which you could probably make yourself for a lot less, and to be honest, keep that pish off my steak, good meat only needs salt and pepper).

Two steaks from Kai = €50.

I know the point you were trying to make and that it's not much difference, really, but you are neglecting to mention the following.

1: Jess Murphy is, without doubt, the best chef in Ireland west of the shannon. She has trained in Michelin Starred kitchens all over the world and something she cooks WILL be better than a steak you cook at home.

2: Brady's and Castlemain normally age their beef for 21 days, and that's not a bad time for dry ageing at all, however, for places like Kai, Eight, Atrisan, Kirwans, The White Gables etc, they age their meat for an extra 7-14 days (depending on the cut), The restaurants also a lot of the time wrap the entire strip in muslin and leave it a few more days, just to make it extra tender.
    These 7-14 days extra make a massive difference in the texture and taste of the meat but they also add to the cost for the kitchen and the supplier.

3: Kitchens have massive over heads. Insurence, wages, rent, equiptment payments, cleaning costs, cost of pruduce etc etc etc.

Comparing the cost you can achieve at home to the price you would pay in a restaurant is a silly thing to do all in all. It's like saying
    "why bring your car to a mechanic when you can buy a set of tools from lidl and do it yourself?".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

For a well decent steak at home, buy the steaks in Aldi, think it's €14 for two. Rub with oil, quick flash in a redhot pan then salt and pepper. It's the business.

I cannot for the life of me find a decent steak in Galway, never cooked as ordered for a start.

I'll try Kai though sounds good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Had a great steak in Elwoods on Forster Street a while ago.

Saw McSwiggans mentioned a couple of times earlier in the thread. I know two different groups of people who were there recently and they all had steak way overdone compared to what they asked for. It was funny because the two different groups of people told me a day apart about the awful way the steaks were served!

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭StonedRaider

Just a note for any steak lovers that want/prefer to cook at home for the family I would recommend investing in a cast iron griddle/skillet. Will last a lifetime if looked after and don't actually cost very much
    http://www.nisbets.ie/vogue-rectangular-enamelled-grill-pan/K417/ProductDetail.raction
    http://www.nisbets.ie/4/Kitchen-Cookware-Cast-Iron-Cookware-Vogue-Griddle-%26-Skillets/c01c01c03c04.r10.1
    Anthony Ryans do a posh version ala le creuset

Simple seasoning that you can make at home:
    2parts natural sea salt flakes
    2parts whole black peppercorn
    1part whole pink peppercorn
    Into a coffee grinder or crushed in a pestle and mortar.

Talk to your local butcher. Almost all good butchers these days age their beef for apprx 3weeks. Depending on how much you want to spend,get the best breed (angus/hereford/limousin/belgian blue etc) and cut (sirlion/fillet/rib eye/t-bone/roasting rib etc) you can afford.

Not forgetting a good bottle of red to de-glaze your pan and all the flavours to use as a sauce instead of that oxo sh*te. Bob's yer uncle
    pfft 50quid for 2 steak dinners :rolleyes:

ps; tormeys do a lovely top quality roasting rib that's as good as a prime cut but a much cheaper alternative.just be prepared for a little bit of prep work

pps; I'm missing 2 ingredients to that seasoning mix,wont post it on here as want to keep it simple,drop me a pm if interested

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Seaneh wrote: »
    Jess Murphy is, without doubt, the best chef in Ireland west of the shannon. She has trained in Michelin Starred kitchens all over the world and something she cooks WILL be better than a steak you cook at home.

No, it won't... because I cook the best steaks in Galway.

newkie wrote: »
    Jess Murphy is, without doubt, the best chef in Ireland west of the shannon. She has trained in Michelin Starred kitchens all over the world and something she cooks WILL be better than a steak you cook at home.

No, it won't... because I cook the best steaks in Galway.

i challenge you to a steak off. me, you and our chosen cooking aparatus.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Ludikrus

And don't forget the steak seasoning from ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Ludikrus

Two good sized steaks from Brady's or Castlemain would run at about €15.

2: Brady's and Castlemain normally age their beef for 21 days, and that's not a bad time for dry ageing at all
    ".

Are these available in Galway?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

It's a Steak Off. I'll take David Bowie's place and be the judge.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Robbo wrote: »
    It's a Steak Off. I'll take David Bowie's place and be the judge.

Think you need a panel of judges, an odd number, i'll be judge no2 :pac: (rare btw ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

I nominate myself as the taste testing judge no. 3

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

I think there needs to be a female influence on the judging panel so I'll be number 4

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cL0h

OP you need to decide whether you are looking for the "best steak in the city" or "a good steakhouse".

Otherwise you will end up in the wrong place... i.e. is it a Masterchef convention or a bunch of lads on a stag!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

cL0h wrote: »
    OP you need to decide whether you are looking for the "best steak in the city" or "a good steakhouse".

Otherwise you will end up in the wrong place... i.e. is it a Masterchef convention or a bunch of lads on a stag!

The OP hasn't been online since posting this thread just shy of a year ago ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Could we have a Come Steak with Me?

Rare pls.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Galway Boards BBBQ Cookoff? The extra B is for BYOB.

Robbo wrote: »
    Galway Boards BBBQ Cookoff? The extra B is for BYOB.

Glad to see that you eliminated the BYOBB typo.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

The huntsman does a savage one, had one there around christmas and was great, had mcswigins a few months back but wasnt cooked enough for me.

The huntsman does a savage one, had one there around christmas and was great, had mcswigins a few months back but wasnt cooked enough for me.

I always have the opposite problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,486 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I always have the opposite problem.

Me too.

I always order rare but usually get medium rare or even medium.

Except in Germany where it was blue and still moving.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Me too.

I always order rare but usually get medium rare or even medium.

Except in Germany where it was blue and still moooooving.

fyp :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

I tried the steak in dillisk butter in Kai last night. I asked for rare but got medium/well done, but it was still meat fit for a king. Would have been perfect if it was rare, but I was well looked after when the bill came. Kai is class.

SeanPuddin wrote: »
    I tried the steak in dillisk butter in Kai last night. I asked for rare but got medium/well done, but it was still meat fit for a king. Would have been perfect if it was rare, but I was well looked after when the bill came. Kai is class.

It was that over cooked?
    Really?
    That's really surprising.

I'd have sent it back...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭chickendinner

It was that over cooked?
    Really?
    That's really surprising.

I'd have sent it back...

This discussion has been closed.