Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couscous cooker/steamer - in Dublin

Options
  • 16-08-2011 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Anyone recommend a store selling a couscous cooker/steamer in or around Dublin? Or a brand that I can get on the web? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭arknine

Any steamer with a fine gauge will work...personally I just use sieve in a normal saucepan with a lid in top.... or for couscous... add boiling water to couscous in a large glass bowl and cover. Works brilliantly, just get the ratios of water to couscous right so you don't drown it. Covering the couscous in glass bowl with clingfilm allows the couscous to Steam and fluff up beautifully.

I like the sound of Aoifes toasted couscous too and must try this too
    Link

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You only really need a couscous steamer if you're using non pre-cooked couscous. I've seen them being used in France, ages ago, but haven't seen one since. They call them a "couscousiere" so if you really want one, that's maybe what to search for.

Practically all couscous available in the shops is pre-cooked so as arknine says, just add boiling water or stock and leave covered for 5 minutes, that's it.

Actually, I like to do it slightly differently, as I think it keeps the grains separated better. I heat a little oil or butter in a pan, chuck in the couscous, and stir it around to make sure all the grains are coated, then add the water/stock, remove from heat and cover with a lid. Then fluff up the grains after about 5 minutes with a fork.

Advertisement