Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching to Ulster Bank

Options
  • 16-08-2011 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Hello,

This is my first time on this forum but I've searched through it for something similar regarding my query.

I'm thinking about switching from AIB to Ulster Bank. One of the main reasons is that where I live now, there is an UlsterBank where as I'd have to travel a bit to get to my nearest AIB.

What I'm wondering is, would it be worth it? I've got a direct debit with O2 that comes out of my current account, I've a bit of credit card debt that I'm chipping away at and it shouldn't take me long to clear it.

Will it be awkward changing credit cards etc? Will I have all new account numbers/credit card numbers etc?

I'm absolutely clueless when it comes to this craic so I was hoping someone would be so kind as to literally talk me through it step by step.

Thanks,
    Aoife

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Make an appointment and make it clear at the time you switching account from aib.
    They'll tell you exactly what to bring in.

The process is fairly easy. UB will keep you up to date via text message as the process happens etc.

You'll have an account number straight away. Card and pin within a week. All dd and s/o will be switch over for you. Anytime banking will be sorted upon receipt of the card and can be done via the branch in 5 mins with full access straight away.

Credit card will take at least 4 weeks, regardless of what they say. A balance switch over may not always be granted.

All account numbers will change but they do the switch so it should not effect you.

If at any stage you want an updatenyou can call the advisor, but the text message service is meant to be the best way to be kept up to date.

As for if it worth it. No fee, visa debit etc. So it has its advantages.

As for the switching process, 9/10 it's flawless but it can have issues. They range from issues with getting cards to the bank your leaving not playing ball or your direct debits not up dated by the company in question. But again this is across the board and not specific to UB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Do you have to change credit cards? Switching current accounts is a breeze btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

Could not recommend UB highly enough! You're doing the right thing by switching from AIB - All the info is above, and they make it very simple :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

aoife2k wrote: »
    Hello,

This is my first time on this forum but I've searched through it for something similar regarding my query.

I'm thinking about switching from AIB to Ulster Bank. One of the main reasons is that where I live now, there is an UlsterBank where as I'd have to travel a bit to get to my nearest AIB.

What I'm wondering is, would it be worth it? I've got a direct debit with O2 that comes out of my current account, I've a bit of credit card debt that I'm chipping away at and it shouldn't take me long to clear it.

Will it be awkward changing credit cards etc? Will I have all new account numbers/credit card numbers etc?

I'm absolutely clueless when it comes to this craic so I was hoping someone would be so kind as to literally talk me through it step by step.

Thanks,
    Aoife

Im with Ulster. In all honesty i wouldnt bother with the service of changing. Do it all yourself, will be much quicker and less hassle, yes, less hassle.

I opened mine in 15 mins, had my debit card in 7 working days, my brother did the bank service, took nearly a month to get sorted for various reasons. Neither of us had alot to change over either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I'd agree, it's easy to do it yourself. But the switcher is there if your not bother.

Like I said it can go wrong, generally when it does it's a pain in the arse.

• Advertisement
Advertisement