Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Exams are now after Christmas

Options
  • 16-08-2011 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Not many people know it, mainly because of DKIT's Stellar communication with it's students, but our Christmas exams have now been moved to after Christmas, this is after they held a vote of all students, a vote that excluded a majority of students for some odd reason, to see our opinion to this. I don't have the exact numbers but the percentage of the no vote was very large, but once again the college doesn't listen to the students, just like when we all apparently said we wanted our Halloween study week taken from us.

Personally I've had enough of the awful communication with and interest in the welfare of the students the college needs to know when people are angry about these kind of things, the Carrols building didn't have Wi-Fi for the first 12 weeks because it was decided that " it wasn't needed in the building" you know, the building with the IT and Computing students in it.

I don't know about anyone else but my own thoughts about this have 3 or 4 main points. First off, yeah , the Christmas exams were stressful as hell, but hey, we had a (relatively) stress free Christmas afterwards to look forward to, but now , if I was to follow my study plan that I had before the Christmas exams I'm going to be shutting my self in a room for 2 weeks.

Another concern of mine is students who live away from home, I don't just mean Erasmus students, though they fall under this heading too, what about those of us who are from other sides of the country, where traveling home and back for exams just isn't a possibility, do we miss spending Christmas with our family?

But I think the point that annoys me most is this, I know others have mailed the head of the college with similar complaints about time, and some have received, what I would class as down right insulting responses to it such as "we are aware of the students opinion on this but the decision has been made" basically, "we don't care"

Something I think many people will find interesting is this

http://ww2.dkit.ie/staff_and_admin/governance/academic_council/archive_of_minutes/2010/academic_council_meeting_no_114

It seems even the lecturers are displeased with the change in exams, and that's something I didn't even take into consideration, they have to write and supervise and correct these exams , missing out on their own Christmas.

So I think as a student body we need to stand up and do something, these next few weeks are going to be vitally important to us. College is going to be hard enough with grants being cut and our lives made more difficult without having to deal with the extra stress of after Christmas exams.
    Failed to load the poll.

Advertisement