Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oasis reunion - will it ever happen?

Options
  • 16-08-2011 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

Just something that had me thinking as Noel Gallagher is bound to be successful with his new band and Beady Eye are losing fans rapidly. In the next year or so we may just see all the pieces starting to fall together for a possible Oasis reunion.

Firstly Noel is going to be a success. Why is that?
    - his tour sold out in 20 seconds
    - The Death of You and Me quickly recieved 1,000,000 views on youtube
    - The Death of You and Me has so far recieved more airplay than any Beady Eye songs so far
    - the album is talked about to death, unlike Beady Eye's were everyone was thinking "meh" and just looking forward to the tour

Reasons why Beady Eye will fade away very soon;
    - pretty much everyone is sick of their bland lifeless performances. Oxegen was a disaster, everyone said they were boring and just had no interest
    - Beady Eye's album and singles are constantly reaching low chart positions, even their debut single was a flop
    - Liam lacks the massive fanbase Noel has

So what do you think?
    Votes please.

Will it happen? 40 votes

No and it never will
    0% 0 votes
    Yes I'm sure of it
    40% 16 votes
    It might
    27% 11 votes
    Unfortunately not
    17% 7 votes
    Hopefully soon
    15% 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

It's got to the stage where an Oasis forum would be a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

smokedeels wrote: »
    It's got to the stage where an Oasis forum would be a good idea

I know there was a general Oasis topic a while back but I set up this one as I wanted to create a poll to view the general consensus of boardsie Oasis fans.

Mods if you want to merge the two forums you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Can'tseeme

Can't see it happening for a while as there still seems a lot of bad blood.

I'm actually enjoying the fact that we're getting output from two sources atm instead of an Oasis album once every 2/3 years. Enjoyed the Beady Eye album, there's talk of having another out early next year and Noel has 2 albums in the bag to look forward to.

This thing about record sales is a bit of a non story. No one is making money from record sales because of the internet. Artists and groups are making their money from touring and Noel and Beady Eye are selling out tours atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

No I don't think they will get back together. This split is final for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

I hope not, it would ruin my opinion of Oasis. Kinda similar to U2, if they had called it a day in the early 90's I think people would hold them in higher regard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

If they were to reform it wouldn't be for the music.. Noel's better songs in the last 6 years were all sung by him so it's a natural progression for him to go towards a solo route.

Beady Eye will have to slip a bit further and not progress to the bigger arenas that they desire.
    Gem and Andy have only been members since 2000. Chris Sharrock was never an official member and wasnt on any recorded material.

I cant see them returning within the next 5 years, as i predict Noel to be very successful. Noel could sell out shows in every major city for the next twenty years if he desires.
    So if Oasis do return for a tour what line up would it be?

Original line up: Noel, Liam, Bonehead, Guigsy, McCarroll (Definitely Maybe)
    Most successful line up: Noel, Liam, Bonehead, Guigsy, White (What's the Story / Be Here Now)
    3rd line up: Noel, Liam, Gem, Andy, White (Standing on the Shoulders / Heathen Chemistry)
    4th line up: Noel, Liam, Gem, Andy, Zak (Dont Believe the Truth / Dig Out Your Soul)
    Final tour: Noel, Liam, Gem, Andy, Sharrock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Where's the "hopefully not" option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

Obviously they'll reunite and tour, and it won't even be that far into the future when they do. They're too used to milking the Oasis brand to stop now.

They'll soon move on from this publicity stunt made-up feud cat fight and get back to what they do best - squeezing as much cash as they can from their remaining fans while churning out the same old clunky tunes with new nonsense lyrics over them. Don't worry, they'll be back to pick your pocket in no time :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

They'll soon move on from this publicity stunt/made-up feud

LMFAO.

I wish that were the case. If it was the secret of their non-existent fued would have leaked to Peggy by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭strokemyclover

Of course they'll get back together! They know the meaning of money just like Pink Floyd, Duran Duran, The Police, etc. etc..

Noel's solo career will flop, Beady Eye will flop, they'll get bored and old and stadia across europe will be filled with men and women in their 40's and 50's singing incorrect lyrics in 10 years time. FACT!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I'd be surprised if they didnt reform at some point. Perhaps for the 20th anniversary of Definitely Maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

No "Fortunately not" option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

karaokeman wrote: »
    - pretty much everyone is sick of their bland lifeless performances. Oxegen was a disaster, everyone said they were boring and just had no interest
    - Liam lacks the massive fanbase Noel has

That's fairly harsh, Oxegen is brutal for a lot of bands - because its a sh*thole with a terrible crowd and a worse atmosphere. Oxegen was 2/3rds empty and thus a brutal gig for the likes Arcade Fire and The Cure aswell.
    Besides oxegen, what are you basing the 'boring live' statement on? They are still packing out their venues, they destroyed the Olympia that time.

Liam definitely lacks the massive base Noel has, and he brings most of the hatred on himself by living up to his own stereotype. The initial buzz of the first Oasis spin-off is definitely wearing off at a rate of nowts now that Noel is back in the spotlight aswell, but he'll always have a loyal fanbase out there aswell.
    I can see him and Beady Eye maintaining a status/popularity level similar to say Ian Brown.

Could see a reunion but definitely not for 10+ years if even.

Everyone is going on about them doing it for the money, especially Noel. If whats happening now proves anything is that Noel won't need the rest of Oasis for the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

Course it will ..and it will sell tickets..maybe they are taking a leaf from PF roger and dave etc..Oasis are completely ****e IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

The OP is a tiny bit wishy washy, really. How are Beady Eye losing fans "rapidly"?! They are playing a gig only tomorrow in Ireland. The talk of the album coming out next year is also promising and I'm sure tour dates next year will sell out as well as the ones this year. We've already disagreed with their performance at Oxegen; I enjoyed it: they got up, performed, had the craic with the audience and left. It was the quintessential Liam Gallagher performance really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

I think it will happen eventually, even at the recent gigs they managed to draw quite a young crowd despite not having any mega-hits since the nineties. Their songs still get played in clubs and pubs all over the place and they still maintain a rabid fan-base that are buying up tickets for Beady Eye and the High Flying Birds. Individually Noel and Liam will never be as big as Oasis but together their pulling-power can't be denied.

Even if it was just Noel and Liam on stage with a few nameless supporting-musicians just playing songs from Definitely Maybe or Morning Glory it would still sell-out IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭WinstonOno

Obviously they'll reunite and tour, and it won't even be that far into the future when they do. They're too used to milking the Oasis brand to stop now.

They'll soon move on from this publicity stunt made-up feud cat fight and get back to what they do best - squeezing as much cash as they can from their remaining fans while churning out the same old clunky tunes with new nonsense lyrics over them. Don't worry, they'll be back to pick your pocket in no time :pac:

couldnt agree more, they'll milk as much money as they can out of these two side projects, wait till interest in them start to wane, then reform oasis and make a **** load more money. all the time proclaiming their next album to be "the greatest thing we've ever done". how people still listen to them is beyond me, have offered nothing interesting since their first album. pub band

WinstonOno wrote: »
    have offered nothing interesting since their first album. pub band

Nonce-sense.

Nonce-sense.
    i think your reply shows you are exactly the market there pub songs are aimed at

People who format their sentences correctly? People who use capital letters at the start of said sentences? People with a third level education?

I presume that is what you meant pal, yeah? :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

As a huge Oasis fan I hope to God that this doesn't happen.

It's done, forget about it and move on!

As Noel said when he left Oasis that he takes "some glorious memories" with him and so do I! Landsdowne Road (2000), Witness (2002), Marley Park (2005) and Slane (2009), all great gigs and I'm delighted that I saw them a few times.

Noel's solo career will be a success without a shadow of a doubt.
    As for Beady Eye, I thought their debut album was ok. I saw them in the Olympia and what you got was a typical Liam Gallagher show which was great.

By this time next year there will be 2 Noel Gallagher albums and a new Beady Eye album which I can't wait for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

People who format their sentences correctly? People who use capital letters at the start of said sentences? People with a third level education?

I presume that is what you meant pal, yeah? :cool:
    no mate, people who cant spell simple words

WinstonOno wrote: »
    no mate, people who cant spell simple words

It was a pop cultural reference. I presumed that all Noel Gallagher fans were Phil Collins fans, as well. Don't worry about it though, fella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Pal, mate, fella?! We're all very friendly here, chums.

Indeed, very much a pub atmosphere going on here. Coincidence, I'm sure, eh gents?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Could be a while yet. Liam's jibes, while still kind of funny, are getting more more and pathetic.

http://www.nme.com/news/beady-eye/58750

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Where's the "Don't give a f*ck" option?

niallo24 wrote: »
    Could be a while yet. Liam's jibes, while still kind of funny, are getting more more and pathetic.

http://www.nme.com/news/beady-eye/58750

The High Flying Turds, lulz

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

The latest twist in the legal case......
    Liam Gallagher's lawsuit against brother Noel has taken a surprising turn after pictures emerged of him partying the night before Oasis' cancelled show at V Festival in 2009.

Liam is suing his older brother over claims at his solo press conference that the show was pulled because the singer had a hangover. Liam claims laryngitis, and says he has a doctor's note to prove it.

http://www.nme.com/news/oasis/58738

Advertisement