Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what should I do?

• 16-08-2011 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have been offered a job covering a maternity leave from end of August to the mid term in February. However, today, they(the VEC I will be working for) informed me that a fixed term position may arise in another of their schools and if it does would I be interested in taking it. The only thing is the maternity leave is 22 hours a week while the other job is only 11. Can anyone offer advice as I dont know what to do!?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

11 hrs a week for the whole year? When will they be able to tell you for certain?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭cailindana

yes its 11 hours a week for the full year. the lady I was talking to said it was being discussed today.. not sure when Ill be told though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28 Dahix

I would take the 11 hour fixed contract if they are RPT hours they are more likely to remain yours next year. Though of course theres no guarantee; you are almost guaranteed no hours after february if you take the maternity leave.

The 11 hour contract seems to be the better option. The will probably give you supervision hours and you could also look for grinds and extra work elsewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Just check whether these hours are yours or whether they belong to another teacher. You can get an RPT contract for jobsharing for instance but the hours wouldn't belong to you the following year if the teacher came back. Something else to consider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

The 11 hours seems better to me too, especially if they are contracted hours as you would be paid for your holidays (and could have good tax relief Id imagine)

Post Number 300 :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

11 hours would mean you will be paid for the holidays. As other posters have said there is the chance of picking up supervision hours in the school and maybe a couple of extra hours once the term starts. Those hours might be there again next year - if you are offered the job ask about the hours - is it a career break, job share, retirement etc etc.

At least with the 11 hours you have work for a year. With the maternity leave you will be looking for work again in February. Even if you only picked up one subbing class a week for the year or an extra 40 mins on your contract you will be better off finanically on 11 hours for 52 weeks that 22 hours for 26 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭cailindana

thanks for all your comments! as a NQT Im a bit clueless when it comes to things like this and knowing the best thing to do! I think my gut instinct is to take the 11 hours IF it is offered to me.. Ill have to wait and see...

Advertisement