Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which AIB credit card to go for?

Options
  • 16-08-2011 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hi there.
    I'm a postgraduate student, and i'm looking to get a credit card with AIB.
    I dont know which to go for - the
    Student Credit Card, or the Click
    credit Card.

I have a few grand in the account, and dont intend to be in any debts - i'll only be using this for a few purchases here and there.

However, i have no clue about what the best credit card i should get is.
    I would go with the student card, but the rates seem to go up higher after a year. That's not good, right?

Can anyone help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

Think click is only if ur working full time might be better off going with student credit card

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Zigmund wrote: »
    Hi there.
    I'm a postgraduate student, and i'm looking to get a credit card with AIB.
    I dont know which to go for - the
    Student Credit Card, or the Click
    credit Card.

I have a few grand in the account, and dont intend to be in any debts - i'll only be using this for a few purchases here and there.

However, i have no clue about what the best credit card i should get is.
    I would go with the student card, but the rates seem to go up higher after a year. That's not good, right?

Can anyone help?
    If you're not in debt, the rates don't matter. You only ever pay interest on a credit card if you are not using it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

dotsman wrote: »
    You only ever pay interest on a credit card if you are not using it right.

Are you serious?

By definition a credit card gives you credit of money you may not have. It allows you to purchase things you may not be able to afford in one go and spread payments. This is what it was originally designed for, not online purchases etc which is the reason a good few people get them now, and keep them clear.

So in actual fact you only pay interest on a card if you use it the way it was originally designed. WHich most definitely doesn't have to be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

alexlyons wrote: »
    Are you serious?

By definition a credit card gives you credit of money you may not have. It allows you to purchase things you may not be able to afford in one go and spread payments. This is what it was originally designed for, not online purchases etc which is the reason a good few people get them now, and keep them clear.

So in actual fact you only pay interest on a card if you use it the way it was originally designed. WHich most definitely doesn't have to be the case.

The credit card is merely the extension of the charge card. The concept behind them is simple:
    • You purchase items on credit.
    • At the end of the month, you receive an invoice to pay for the items and given until the end of the next month to pay.
    • Payment:
      • With a charge card, if you don't pay you bill in full, your card is ripped up and you account closed.
      • With a credit card, if you don't pay in full, as long as you pay the minimum (some token amount) you are charged a high rate of interest on the outstanding balance. The high rate of interest reflects the risk - a person who is not paying their bill in full is not financially sound/responsible.

Advertisement