Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Honest Jon's Chop Up!(Ft Damon Albarn & Flea) - Vicar St - Nov 1st

Options
  • 16-08-2011 4:06pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Featuring Damon Albarn, Tony Allen, Flea, Fatoumata Diawara, Kelan Phil Cohran Hypnotic Brass Ensemble, Theo Parrish, Actress and more artists to be announced. Tuesday 1 November 2011 at Vicar Street. On sale this Friday, 19 August at 09:00

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Got my ticket this morning, looks fantastic! Any reports on what we can expect from the evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 BornToRun75

is the gig over-18s by any chance? im nearly 17 and a huge albarn fan and id love to go... will they check for id? also ive never been to vicar street... are u able to get close to the act cos i was at the gorillaz last october and damon albarn jumped into the crowd so i wouldnt mind get close if he does!
    Cheers...

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

is the gig over-18s by any chance? im nearly 17 and a huge albarn fan and id love to go... will they check for id? also ive never been to vicar street... are u able to get close to the act cos i was at the gorillaz last october and damon albarn jumped into the crowd so i wouldnt mind get close if he does!
    Cheers...

According to Ticketmaster it will indeed be an over 18's event, with I.D. required. I've never been to Vicar St. before though, they could be fairly easygoing on the whole age thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

I wonder how tickets are selling for this, i'm surprised there seems to be so little interest in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭vrobot

comet wrote: »
    I wonder how tickets are selling for this, i'm surprised there seems to be so little interest in it.

I'm wondering why there isn't more of a fuss about it too. Got my ticket the morning they were advertised thinking that it would be sold out in a flash.

I just know it's gonna be a cracker of a gig with a line up like that plus the Savoy is cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 jdubbleya

IMHO

This was more cop out than chop up, ok, I understand that this was going to be a "world music" night... man, what a dissappointment. €45 to see a troup of mediocre pap bar the percussion. Sorry HBE, your first track was hypnotic and made me smile but it had already been marred by someone attempting to coax a crowd to get their hand's in the air 30 seconds into the opening number.

This was a bad omen that rang true from cradle to grave, after starting nearly an hour late Albarn came on to a half hearted cheer. (he obviously didn't read about Axel Rose turning up late and the thanks he got)

Anyway, with my hopes dimmed but my ears cleaned out I focused and once again smiled at the excellent grasp of percussion held by Tony Allen, the Hypnotic Ensemble were a welcome if somewhat uninspired break from the singing. Beautiful in note and firm in emotion but my appreciation for emotive ballads or upbeat chants in a foreign tongue don't extend far enough to cover what I was expecting at the gig, formed on the back of my knowledge of Honest Jon's recording artists. At one point I was asked "What do you reckon?" not the greatest sign of any gig when you get asked, my answer was "It's a bit of a pisstake" no sooner had these words left my mouth and we were treated with 180bpm fischer price techno undermined by the on stage performers in wigs, masks and costumes that screamed and fudged their way through what to me seemed a barely rehearsed set. Sun Ra would have moved house on half of this crew.

This sh1t has magic, maybe even voodoo but not when it's an hour late on a Tuesday night after a bank holiday at €45 + booking fee.Being performed to by a bass player who seemed more content focusing on his head movements as opposed to his fingers was entertaining for a while, what a tonk. Flea? How about Flee!! Last time he was this entertaining he was wearing a sock on his cock for an album cover.

As the night trundled along I found myself scanning the talkative crowd who were busy chatting to each other and I did something I haven't done in any gig ever before... I got the urge to boo, yes with a B not P. I refrained, as I would hate to tarnish an already mediocre gig. So I did the other unthinkable thing that seemed to be the lesser of the two evils: I left early

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

wow totally different reaction to Jim Carroll and most of the people commenting on his blog
    http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/ontherecord/2011/11/02/here-comes-the-chop-up/

what exactly were you expecting? serious question not taking the pish.

I wish I'd gone as it sounds like my cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

jdubbleya wrote: »
    IMHO

This was more cop out than chop up, ok, I understand that this was going to be a "world music" night... man, what a dissappointment. €45 to see a troup of mediocre pap bar the percussion. Sorry HBE, your first track was hypnotic and made me smile but it had already been marred by someone attempting to coax a crowd to get their hand's in the air 30 seconds into the opening number.

This was a bad omen that rang true from cradle to grave, after starting nearly an hour late Albarn came on to a half hearted cheer. (he obviously didn't read about Axel Rose turning up late and the thanks he got)

Anyway, with my hopes dimmed but my ears cleaned out I focused and once again smiled at the excellent grasp of percussion held by Tony Allen, the Hypnotic Ensemble were a welcome if somewhat uninspired break from the singing. Beautiful in note and firm in emotion but my appreciation for emotive ballads or upbeat chants in a foreign tongue don't extend far enough to cover what I was expecting at the gig, formed on the back of my knowledge of Honest Jon's recording artists. At one point I was asked "What do you reckon?" not the greatest sign of any gig when you get asked, my answer was "It's a bit of a pisstake" no sooner had these words left my mouth and we were treated with 180bpm fischer price techno undermined by the on stage performers in wigs, masks and costumes that screamed and fudged their way through what to me seemed a barely rehearsed set. Sun Ra would have moved house on half of this crew.

This sh1t has magic, maybe even voodoo but not when it's an hour late on a Tuesday night after a bank holiday at €45 + booking fee.Being performed to by a bass player who seemed more content focusing on his head movements as opposed to his fingers was entertaining for a while, what a tonk. Flea? How about Flee!! Last time he was this entertaining he was wearing a sock on his cock for an album cover.

As the night trundled along I found myself scanning the talkative crowd who were busy chatting to each other and I did something I haven't done in any gig ever before... I got the urge to boo, yes with a B not P. I refrained, as I would hate to tarnish an already mediocre gig. So I did the other unthinkable thing that seemed to be the lesser of the two evils: I left early

What on earth are you on about? Albarn was one of the first on the stage. Great gig, very interesting and entertaining stuff, the crowd were well into it.

Flea, Albarn and Tony Allen will have an album out next year

leakyboots wrote: »
    IMHO

What on earth are you on about? Albarn was one of the first on the stage. Great gig, very interesting and entertaining stuff, the crowd were well into it.

Flea, Albarn and Tony Allen will have an album out next year

Albarn was the 1st on stage, 1 hour late, as stated above. Read the above, then you will know what (on earth) I am on about. Glad you enjoyed the gig.

wow totally different reaction to Jim Carroll and most of the people commenting on his blog
    http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/ontherecord/2011/11/02/here-comes-the-chop-up/

what exactly were you expecting? serious question not taking the pish.

I wish I'd gone as it sounds like my cup of tea.

I just had a look at that link, it's a mixed bag of comments. As for Jim Carroll, I wonder why he is talking so much about things other than the gig if he is reviewing the gig? To ramble on about the Oasis feud is as irrelevant as his comments on them selling jackets or Flea being a Bona Fide Rock Superstar. I'm sure Jah Wobble would have been a much greater addition to such a gig. What was I expecting? Value for money, better punctuality on a school night, there was no warm up act so no excuses especially not for the annoying buzzing (like a bad earth) coming from the port side speakers for the first few songs... Thankfully the sound engineers sorted that. More diversity, more lyrics I could understand, Errol Bellot? Trembling Bells? Terry Hall and Mushtaq even manage some bilingual action. Maybe I'm getting too hard to please but I definitely wouldn't be encouraging anyone to fork out €45 to catch them.
    What's your cup of tea ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Albarn was the 1st on stage, 1 hour late, as stated above. Read the above, then you will know what (on earth) I am on about. Glad you enjoyed the gig.

One hour late?? We asked the bouncers when we arrived what time they'd be on and he said 8.45, he and the rest were on about 5 mins after that from my recollection

You could get tickets for 40e all in from Choice Cuts and I saw them on Toutless for 30e aswell.

leakyboots wrote: »

One hour late?? We asked the bouncers when we arrived what time they'd be on and he said 8.45, he and the rest were on about 5 mins after that from my recollection

You could get tickets for 40e all in from Choice Cuts and I saw them on Toutless for 30e aswell.

It was €106 via Ticketmaster all in for two. I don't care to argue just how late the gig started or question the accuracy of the bouncers info. If the gig "hit the spot" I wouldn't care about steep ticket prices or punctuality

Advertisement