Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best before dates - how important?

Options
  • 16-08-2011 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Howdy,

the ingredients for my next kit+hacks brew arrived today, and the Best Before date on the kit can is 25th September 2011 :-/

And the plastic outer lid had been removed and the yeast was just sellotaped on top with a photocopied set of instructions. I'm obviously not bothered about the instructions (they're no use anyway), and to be fair they might have removed the lid to pack stuff in better, and I bought a separate packet of yeast, but.... I'm concerned.

How important are BB dates? The date on my last kit was 02/2013, so that's a big difference. I did want to do a brew on Thursday (day off - my 40th birthday :-) but would I be mad to go ahead with it? I don't want to have to wait while I get on to them and argue about it and pay to return this one and wait for a replacement to come out, but I don't want to brew 5 gallons of complete p**s either!

What would you guys suggest?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

I had the same issue. I currently have an unopened tin of John Bull Irish Stout waiting to be brewed. The best before date is Feb 2007. I was told that the best before dates are on there for the sachet of yeast only. But it was up to me if I want to put the brew on or not, at my own risk. So its at your risk too.

I also would like to hear what people have to say about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭guildofevil

Best before dates most certainly do make a difference and it isn't just for the yeast. As matter of fact, the yeast usually has it's own BBD printed on it.

The liquid malt extract that makes up the kit will oxidise over time. This happens in the can and the process is accelerated by poor storage, as high temperatures or in sunlight, for example.

The older your kit, the more oxidised the contents and the more likely you will experience "kit tang" in the finished beer.

Little Beoir study on the issue here.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

merc230ce wrote: »
    Howdy,

the ingredients for my next kit+hacks brew arrived today, and the Best Before date on the kit can is 25th September 2011 :-/

And the plastic outer lid had been removed and the yeast was just sellotaped on top with a photocopied set of instructions.

Who was selling the kit with the sept. best before and photocopied instructions? That sounds very unprofessional. The kit could/should? have been sold as damaged with sept expiry.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭merc230ce

mayto wrote: »

Who was selling the kit with the sept. best before and photocopied instructions? That sounds very unprofessional. The kit could/should? have been sold as damaged with sept expiry.

I don't want to say here without at least hearing what they have to say (emailed them this morning, no reply yet)
    I just posted here because I wanted to get peoples' opinions on whether it'd be ok to go ahead with the brew. I REALLY don't want off-flavours: I'll need all the help I can get to get decent-tasting beer, I don't need it to be flawed before I even start! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭merc230ce

Best before dates most certainly do make a difference.

The older your kit, the more oxidised the contents and the more likely you will experience "kit tang" in the finished beer.

Little Beoir study on the issue here.

DAGNABBIT!! >-[

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Fat Joe

I have just bought a kit with the same issue. Don't want to name names but this is getting ridiculous. The supplier is constantly on here posting about this that and the other but then selling below par kits. I follow them on face book and noticed they are offering a free yeast upgrade with all Muntons beer kits. These I suspect are all expired beer kits also. I would like to see them come on here an explain themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

From now on I would email them in advance and ask what dates are on the item you want. They might have old & new stock and if they know you are picky they will send the newest.

Its no wonder it goes out of date though, many are holding a large variety. I have seen some sites sell it off when near the BB.

Advertisement