Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Insurance quote for Cork city?

Options
  • 16-08-2011 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,
    I'm shopping around for a home insurance quote but I'm not having much luck. A lot of companies are declining to quote for new business as the address is in Cork city.
    Is anyone else having this problem or could you recommend a broker/company that will quote for new business?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 CatMH

Hi
    I'm not in Cork city but i got my home insurance (new policy) through a broker with Allianz. Broker is in Dublin - Glennon's insurance. Only chanced them as i have car insurance with them already but they turned out to be the cheapest at €242. The next nearest quote was €343, €101 in the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Problem for people getting quotes for properties in Cork City is that it is a high risk area for flood and subsidence claims.

Your best bet is to go to a brokers to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

My parents had the same problem when theirs came up for renewal a few months ago and I have to say the brokers were useless. In the end, after getting many knock-backs from insurers who only had to hear Cork and say no (even though their house is high on a hill with no subsidence history) they managed to get it through their bank (PTSB) who are selling policies underwritten by Allianz. They don't have a mortgage with PTSB but they had the best deal on the premiums at the time.

Eagle Star won't touch most of the city, likewise with Royal Sun Alliance. Allianz seem to still be writing business for Cork so if you approach them directly or go through one of their brokers you might have some luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

The problem with getting insurance from a bank is that in general its a more stripped down policy with more loopholes for getting out of paying claims.

For example,I encountered one guy that had had a leak in his roof which resulted in his attic then bedrooms getting water damaged.His policy covered him for the standard perils cover - fire,lightning,storm,explosion,flood and theft however when he tried to make the claim his bank refused it because the valleys in the roof were done with tin rather than lead so fell under the remit of "shoddy workmanship".

This,despite the fact the bank first sent out an assessor to inspect the property before allowing the guy to draw down the mortgage and he passed it with flying colours.

Id advise anyone thinking of signing up to a bank for insurance to read the fine print very carefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

The problem with getting insurance from a bank is that in general its a more stripped down policy with more loopholes for getting out of paying claims.

For example,I encountered one guy that had had a leak in his roof which resulted in his attic then bedrooms getting water damaged.His policy covered him for the standard perils cover - fire,lightning,storm,explosion,flood and theft however when he tried to make the claim his bank refused it because the valleys in the roof were done with tin rather than lead so fell under the remit of "shoddy workmanship".

This,despite the fact the bank first sent out an assessor to inspect the property before allowing the guy to draw down the mortgage and he passed it with flying colours.

Id advise anyone thinking of signing up to a bank for insurance to read the fine print very carefully.
    I'd have to agree there. I'd rather buy insurance from a bloke down the pub than a bank or building society. In my job I have to deal with them on a regular basis and it is shocking the level of product knowledge they possess

• Advertisement

oldyouth wrote: »
    I'd have to agree there. I'd rather buy insurance from a bloke down the pub than a bank or building society. In my job I have to deal with them on a regular basis and it is shocking the level of product knowledge they possess

It's no worse than many of the 'brokers' I've dealt with in Cork, believe me. Luckily I know my policy wordings inside out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 spondoolies

Thanks for all your replies. So far Aviva, Royal Sun Alliance and Zurich have refused to quote due to the Cork address. I was considering contacting my bank for a quote but judging from the comments above I doubt I will. My existing insurer will continue to provide cover but they know they have you over a barrel so they can charge what they like and their quote is very expensive.
    I might sned an email to teh competition authority to see what they say but I won't be holding my breadth!!!

Did you try Allianz? They don't have any major exclusions in Cork at the moment...unless they're the current insurer you're talking about.

pow wow wrote: »
    Did you try Allianz? They don't have any major exclusions in Cork at the moment...unless they're the current insurer you're talking about.

Bit of an odd comment. Allianz don't have exclusions, unless they are the insurer excluding you:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Marcanthony

Hi
    if your not in an area prone to flooding or subsidence and have not made claims in excess of 5k in the last 3 years. You should not have a problem obtaining a quote. 123.ie are owned and underwritten by RSA. They are a good provider and quotes are reasonable.
    If you do not fit into the above. It would be best to call a broker and obtain quotes.Also using a good broker will give you piece of mind as he /she will make sure or advice you of the best possible cover in case of the unexpected.Cheap policies are not the best policies.Theres a reason for them been cheap.For example some policies will not cover resulting damage from showers or baths. I would not like to have a house flooded after paying a premium and not been covered for the damage.

• Advertisement

oldyouth wrote: »
    Bit of an odd comment. Allianz don't have exclusions, unless they are the insurer excluding you:confused:

Not really, you're just reading it wrong. They (Allianz) don't have any blanket exclusions over Cork at the moment (Zurich for example do), but if the OP is currently insured through Allianz and they have declined to renew or the OP has approached them and they declined to quote, then his/her property is effectively excluded from the risks Allianz are willing to write in Cork.

I've read my original post several times and it still makes sense to me...

pow wow wrote: »
    Not really, you're just reading it wrong. They (Allianz) don't have any blanket exclusions over Cork at the moment (Zurich for example do), but if the OP is currently insured through Allianz and they have declined to renew or the OP has approached them and they declined to quote, then his/her property is effectively excluded from the risks Allianz are willing to write in Cork.

I've read my original post several times and it still makes sense to me...

I'm not reading you wrong but your change of the word major with blanket is not helping the OP with his issue, so we'll leave it at that

Well clarity is apparently necessary and may be helpful for other people who find themselves in the OP's position. Declining to quote one client does not constitute a major/blanket exclusion, unless that's the reason they're given (i.e. we're not quoting for Cork). That's what both of my posts meant.

Advertisement