Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SV1000S for use in NZ

• 16-08-2011 5:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

Some of my adoring fans may recall that I'm heading the NZ for a year. I was wondering what I would do for transport when I get there but was pretty disappointed how much bike cost over there. I want to hit the road for a few weeks when I get there and I'll need daily transport thereafter.

The bike I think I've almost settled on is a Suzuki SV1000S like this one.

181476215_full.jpg

They seem to be the best value that I could find while still being re-sellable reasonably quickly if need be.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I have one, in that (the best) colour and they are a cracking bike. The noise is great, and the torque is big. Comfy enough to ride for distances and they will also handle on the track. They are slightly longer than a full race bike (eg gixxer) thanks to the V twin so they sweep nicely. They are also reasonably light (something like 189kg dry) and narrow ish compared to the il4's.

Fuel wise, I get ~220km per 11.8 l reserve to reserve which is not bad for a big twin driven sensibly. If you mess about I got 180km for the same fuel on a trackday. Fire away with any questions on them and I'll be happy to answer to the best of my ability. There is also forums.sv650.org and svportal that would probably have good buying check lists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Just kinda bumping this thread. I've actually booked my flight for the 01Oct. Bricking it!!

Thanks for the offer, Idleater. I may pick your brain again at some stage. My only reservation is that being as tall as I am, at 6'4", I'm wondering how I'd fare on longer trips. They do seem popular which is important when I may wish to flog it at short notice.

The only other way of skinning the cat is that I might try to find a well minded, higher mileage Bandit or something like that. I'm at the stage where I just need a shortlist of bikes to consider.

Anyone know anyone out there? I can't log on to trademe.co.nz (their equivalent of Done Deal for bikes) because I'm not physically located in NZ or Aus.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 BikerTech

Great Minds think alike eh Bru, interesting. Would like of these too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

You lucky b*stard OP! I'm jealous as f*ck!

Faith+1 wrote: »
    You lucky b*stard OP! I'm jealous as f*ck!

I'm jealous as f*ck too! Jealous of my past self, that is! Had a great time in NZ and was due to tour the South Island but ended up home in Summer due to circumstances beyond my control but whatchagonnado:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

cantdecide wrote: »
    I'm jealous as f*ck too! Jealous of my past self, that is! Had a great time in NZ and was due to tour the South Island but ended up home in Summer due to circumstances beyond my control but whatchagonnado:rolleyes:

Lol! The thought of being able to ride in nice weather just makes my eyes water! I look like the Mitchlen man with all the gear on during winter!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I love the sv in that color. Burned oprange i think they call it.
    Mine is candy blue but sure it still just cant compare to that delish color above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Anyone know anyone out there? I can't log on to trademe.co.nz (their equivalent of Done Deal for bikes) because I'm not physically located in NZ or Aus.

What ya wanna know ? ;)

goodlad wrote: »
    I love the sv in that color. Burned oprange i think they call it.
    Mine is candy blue but sure it still just cant compare to that delish color above.
    "copper " according to my tax disc :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭dejopadu

off-topic, but regarding bike parking in NZ city centres, the ticket wardens are f*ing w*nkers.......

be careful where u park coz if you dont park in a designated motorbike parking area, u will probably get a ticket

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭wile1000

My only reservation is that being as tall as I am, at 6'4", I'm wondering how I'd fare on longer trips.

OP, by reading over the thread, I'm guessing you've been to NZ and back - nice one! Was there in Jan (but driving).

Did you get the SV in the end? I'm 6'5" and just wondering how you got on re comfort on longer spins. I'm eyeing off the SV650 as a 2013 purchase and for those in the know, is there much difference with riding position between the two?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

wile1000 wrote: »
    OP, by reading over the thread, I'm guessing you've been to NZ and back - nice one! Was there in Jan (but driving).

Did you get the SV in the end? I'm 6'5" and just wondering how you got on re comfort on longer spins. I'm eyeing off the SV650 as a 2013 purchase and for those in the know, is there much difference with riding position between the two?

Do you mean the difference between the 650 and the 1000? I own a 1000 and i have driven the 650 before and didnt really notice any difference in the seating position.

I loved the bike but disliked the riding position so i put on apex adjustable risers. There is also helibars and a few other things like then that all change riding position.

, is there much difference with riding position between the two?
    I had a 650 and now have the 1000. They are similar but different. The thou is heavier and the engine is different (as opposed to a bigger bore) as are the components.
    Personally I love the twins and the 650 is great for learning on but the thou is nicer on long journeys.

I ended up with an XJR1200 in the end. I wanted to get the SV but they were just not popular enough over there to be reasonably sure I wouldn't end up stuck with it. As it happened, I did end up having to scuttle it so it turned out to be the right choice although I had gotten really used to the idea of an SV.

Have a look at this website http://cycle-ergo.com/

Advertisement