Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary school Teaching :)

• 16-08-2011 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi I'm looking to obtain some information with regard to the various colleges covering the Bed course and what the various aspects of college life are like... eg social life,what the subjects are like that you take... the standard of irish within the college

Thanks in advance :):D:D:D:D:D

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

grantyrs10 wrote: »
    Hi I'm looking to obtain some information with regard to the various colleges covering the Bed course

The colleges are Mary Immaculate (Limerick), St. Pat's (Drumcondra), Marino (Dublin somewhere) and Froebel (Maynooth). There's also the Church of Ireland College. From September 2013 all courses will be 4 years long.
    and what the various aspects of college life are like... eg social life,

They are more less the same as any college. The colleges are much smaller though (save Froebel now that it's part of NUIM, I would imagine), meaning you'll get to know a lot of people fairly quickly. The size of the colleges often inspires negative connotations, but each of the colleges are close to larger universities (e.g. Mary I, LIT and UL).
    what the subjects are like that you take

That's a pretty vague question tbh. You'll take modules on the pedagogy of each of the 11 primary school subjects, as well as an Irish course (and an English course in certain colleges). For the moment if you do the B.Ed in Mary I or Pats you'll also do an arts subject (e.g. English/Maths/Geog/Hist) with your education subjects.
    the standard of irish within the college
    There's a minimum grade of a C3 for a reason. In fact it's been touted that it will rise to a B1 (but that probably won't happen anytime soon). Irish in primary schools is meant to be taught completely through Irish.

That said, the standard of Irish can vary wildly. In Mary I for example there are quite a few students who are Gaeltacht applicants, who are fluent in Irish. Others can hardly string two words together (says a lot about LC Irish:rolleyes:). As I said you'll receive lectures in Irish to ensure you improve as you go through the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭grantyrs10

Thank you very much for your detailed reply. I was just enquiring about the standard of irish as I am hoping to become a Gaeilscoil Teacher once finished in college.

If anyone else has an input please do so as it will be greatly appreciated ... thanks:D:D

Go Raibh maith agaibh

Thank you very much for your detailed reply. I was just enquiring about the standard of irish as I am hoping to become a Gaeilscoil Teacher once finished in college.

The colleges should allow you to complete some of your teaching practices in Gaelscoileanna if you ask (you can in Mary I anyway).

If you have any more specific questions feel free to ask them here.

Go n-éirí leat, ach ná roghnaigh múinteoireacht gan smaoineamh faoin nganntanas postanna atá ann faoi láthair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭fearbainne

I am hoping to become a Gaeilscoil Teacher once finished in college.
    dambarude wrote: »
    The colleges should allow you to complete some of your teaching practices in Gaelscoileanna if you ask (you can in Mary I anyway).

I'm in Pat's on the Gaeltacht Applicant scheme, so all my Tps are in Gaelscoileanna/Scoileanna lán-Gaeilge, so any Qs just ask, and yeah you can ask to do them in Gaelscoileanna if your not a GA in Pat's as well..

Also this thread should prob be in the new Primary Teaching Training forum...

(no offense, just want to try advertise it a bit, it'd be nice if it took off! :D)

Anyways, if your leaning towards St.Pat's I can help you with any Qs, am sure dambarude can answer any Qs you have on Mary I!

^^^ In the state it's currently in I don't think anybody should be posting in the Primary Teacher Training forum to be honest! It doesn't have a moderator (well not officially anyway), has no charter, and there's considerable disquiet about what its actual purpose is or should be!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭fearbainne

^^^ In the state it's currently in I don't think anybody should be posting in the Primary Teacher Training forum to be honest! It doesn't have a moderator (well not officially anyway), has no charter, and there's considerable disquiet about what its actual purpose is or should be!

Could be your time to shine!!:rolleyes:

If you have any more specific questions feel free to ask them here.

Go n-éirí leat, ach ná roghnaigh múinteoireacht gan smaoineamh faoin nganntanas postanna atá ann faoi láthair.

Go raibh maith agat Dambarude. Ba mhaith liom a bheith i mo mhúinteoir bunscoile fadó ó shin agus mheasfainn go mbeadh deis níos fearr post a fháil mar mhúinteoir i ngaeilscoil. An bhfuil mé ceart ? i do thuairimse ?

Thanks again for all of your replies. Could i ask any of yea to inform me of what irish entails as a subject during the Bed

Ba mhaith liom ceist a chur oraibh faoina gnéithe éagsúla a dhéanamh an t-ábhar Gaeilge i gcoláiste muire gan smál nó Coláiste droim conrach

:D:D:D:D

Also what are your views on a non-gaeltacht applicant becoming a Gaeilscoil teacher.. do u feel one needs to possess irish as their first language ?

Thanks for replying fearbainne :)

Go raibh maith agat Dambarude. Ba mhaith liom a bheith i mo mhúinteoir bunscoile fadó ó shin agus mheasfainn go mbeadh deis níos fearr post a fháil mar mhúinteoir i ngaeilscoil. An bhfuil mé ceart ? i do thuairimse ?
    Seans ann, ach ni bheinn ag brath ar phost Gaelscoile. Is dócha go gcabhródh sé leat go bhfuil Gaeilge ar do thoil agat, agus go mbeifeá in ann cur isteach ar níos mó postanna (i nGaelscoileanna) dá bharr. Ach ná bíodh tú ag ceapadh go siúlfaidh tú isteach i seomra ranga éigin gan aon stró mar gheall ar an líofacht sin.

Trans: Maybe, but I wouldn't depend on a Gaelschool post. I suppose it would help that you have good Irish, and that you would be able to apply for more jobs (in Gaelscoils) as a result. But don't think that you'll walk into a classroom without a bother because of that fluency.
    Thanks again for all of your replies. Could i ask any of yea to inform me of what irish entails as a subject during the Bed

If you do it as an Arts subject it will be basically the same as if you did it through Arts. Literature, poetry, grammar etc. If you don't, you'll study it as a professional subject, looking mainly at grammar, oral and the language needed to teach the language.
    Also what are your views on a non-gaeltacht applicant becoming a Gaeilscoil teacher.. do u feel one needs to possess irish as their first language ?
    Plenty of teachers teach in Gaelscoils without being a native speaker.

Tuigtear domsa nach siúlfaidh mé isteach sa phost de dheasca an líofacht agus go raibh maith agat mar tá eolas agam anois go mbíonn mórán múinteora ag obair i ngaeilscoileanna gan "Gaeilge Nádúrtha Líofacht" .

I mo thuairimse, níl mo ghaeilge thar barr ar chor ar bith ach tá súil agam go mbeidh mé in ann a bheith i mo mhúinteoir trí mhéan na gaeilge le cúnamh Dé amach anseo.

An cheapfainn tú go mbeidh sé ar mo chumas an líofacht riachtanach a bhaint amach i rith an cúrsa i gColáiste Muire Gan Smál nó i gColáiste Droim Chonrach ??

Go raibh maith agat.

Má bheidh mé ag oilúint mar mhúinteoir bunscoile,cé acu níos fearr a dhéanamh chun an líofacht a bhaint amach ?? Gaeilge mar ábhar (arts) nó an Ghaeilge Ghairmiúil ??

• Advertisement

Before I answer your question, I'd be wary of posting solely in Irish in this forum! I read somewhere that we're meant to provide translations :pac:

Má roghnaíonn tú Gaeilge mar d'ábhar acadúil is dócha go mbeadh ardchaighdeán bainte amach agat faoi dheireadh an chúrsa.

Trans: If you choose Irish as your academic (arts) subject you'd probably have a high standard by the time you finish the course.

Go raibh maith agat. Níl sé ar eolas agam go dtí seo go mbíonn aistriúcháin riachtanach. Ar aon nós, Cuirfidh mé sí ar fáil sa todhchaí.

Thanks i didnt know a translation was necessary . Anyway I'll provide them in the future.

Would the arts subject also integrate oral work and the necessary standard to be confident to teach irish i scoil lán gaeilge ?

An mbeadh obair cainte fite fuaite leis an ábhair acadúil chun a bheith muiníneach mar mhúinteoir i scoil lán gaeilge??:D:D

Would the arts subject also integrate oral work and the necessary standard to be confident to teach irish i scoil lán gaeilge ?

An mbeadh obair cainte fite fuaite leis an ábhair acadúil chun a bheith muiníneach mar mhúinteoir i scoil lán gaeilge??:D:D

The question you've asked is a very apt one at the moment. In an nutshell the Teaching Council want to put an end to Arts subjects as they currently stand. In Mary I (and I'm guessing Pat's too) the Gaeilge Acadúil isn't tied to teaching in anyway. You do the same Gaeilge modules as somebody doing Arts. In your case you'd be hoping that your general language ability would get better from choosing the subject, not your ability to teach the language (though the two are linked). If the Teaching Council have their way (and they most likely will), Gaeilge Acadúil would probably have to be tied more closely to teaching.

Any third level Arts Irish course includes oral work, and Gaeilge Acadúil in Mary I/Pat's is no different.

Thank you :) ... by the way am i making sense with my replies as gaeilge ??

Thanks for all your replies... i definately think the Irish subject should be more geared towards being able to teach throught the language :)

Déanann sé ciall domsa ar aon nós! Ní dóigh liom go mbeidh fadhb ar bith agat léi.

Makes sense to me anyways! I don't think you'll have any problem with it.

Déanann sé ciall domsa ar aon nós! Ní dóigh liom go mbeidh fadhb ar bith agat léi.

Makes sense to me anyways! I don't think you'll have any problem with it.

go hiontach ! Go raibh maith agat don cabhair a thabhairt dom i rith an snáith seo :):D

translation aistriúcháin
    Great! thanks for the help you gave me throughout this thread (smiley )

While on this thread... does anyone have any suggestions as what college to put down as first preference next year on the cao... im kind of geared towards pats or mary i any suggestions ??:D:D:p:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

It would probably help OP, if you posted in English, while anyone here doing primary school teaching should be able to understand you, others may be able to give advice about the colleges etc if they could understand what you are asking.

I would post, but I'm not going to waste my time translating Irish.

I would post, but I'm not going to waste my time translating Irish.
    In fairness the OP is new to the board, and has translated her last two posts after I pointed it out.
    While on this thread... does anyone have any suggestions as what college to put down as first preference next year on the cao... im kind of geared towards pats or mary i any suggestions ??:D:D:p:confused:
    Where do you live? I'm not looking for you to answer the question, but I'm guessing that location should play a big part. Nobody will be able to give you an answer over which is better because they're more or less equivalent, providing much the same courses. Don't forget about the other colleges either.

In fairness the OP is new to the board, and has translated her last two posts after I pointed it out.

Where do you live? I'm not looking for you to answer the question, but I'm guessing that location should play a big part. Nobody will be able to give you an answer over which is better because they're more or less equivalent, providing much the same courses. Don't forget about the other colleges either.

It's he by the way :D ... i am living down in the south east so either location will be a consideration ie travel to limerick or dublin ....

thank you ...:D

• Advertisement

It's he by the way :D

Sorry about that. Guessing you were a female was more likely to be correct, given the imbalance between males and females doing PT.

i am living down in the south east so either location will be a consideration ie travel to limerick or dublin ....
    You should visit the open days of the colleges, it might help you decide.

Sorry about that. Guessing you were a female was more likely to be correct, given the imbalance between males and females doing PT.

You should visit the open days of the colleges, it might help you decide.

Thanks Dambarude must look up when they are going to be on :):D

Advertisement