Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website ownership.

Options
  • 16-08-2011 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi There,
    Can anyone tell me what the situation would be when the website publisher goes out of business. I have a site at present which was designed and published by a web development company. The have now gone bust and no one is answering their phone. I still have access to the CMS via my own password but if I wanted to make technical adjustments to the site what can I do. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Wats_in_a_name

Do you have any FTP or CPANEL details?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭macl

sparky28 wrote: »
    Hi There,
    Can anyone tell me what the situation would be when the website publisher goes out of business. I have a site at present which was designed and published by a web development company. The have now gone bust and no one is answering their phone. I still have access to the CMS via my own password but if I wanted to make technical adjustments to the site what can I do. Any advice would be appreciated.

Find the host - go to them and ask them for advice or to contact the publisher (designer I presume) on your behalf. there might be some channel of communication there. If the hosting account is in their name, you're in trouble.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭MyBusinez.com

Hi Sparky28,
    If you PM the domain name to me I can find the hosting company for you. As the above poster touched on the hosting company (depending on which company they are) will often only speak to the person the domain name or hosting is registered to and won't speak to a third party about it.

If the domain owner doesn't cancel the account you will just have to wait until the domain name and hosting expires. It usually expires after 1 year (I can find this out for you also) but sometimes you could be wating 3 years if they have registered the domain for that long.

Another issue may be that the hosting account it is on might be paid month by month which means if they don't keep up their monthly repayments the site will go down quicker. If you want to keep the website, again, you will have to speak to the hosting company to try and get the files.

If you can find the host, you can state your case but if the hosting company can't contact the domain owner they won't do anything about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

please ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 sparky28

Hi Guys, Thanks for all the advice in the above posts. Things may not be as bad as I first thought. The hosting account is in my name as is the domain name. I still have control over what happens in that regard. Since I posted the 1st post the web developing company MD has contacted me and assured me that the business will be back in operation in two weeks. As long as this happens I should be ok.
    Thanks again for all the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Since I posted the 1st post the web developing company MD has contacted me and assured me that the business will be back in operation in two weeks. As long as this happens I should be ok.

That's great.

Ask him for hosting control panel details anyway, just so you can pull down a backup of your files and databases.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Zonua

Hi Guys, Thanks for all the advice in the above posts. Things may not be as bad as I first thought. The hosting account is in my name as is the domain name. I still have control over what happens in that regard. Since I posted the 1st post the web developing company MD has contacted me and assured me that the business will be back in operation in two weeks. As long as this happens I should be ok.
    Thanks again for all the advice.
    Glad to hear this, although very sad that the business is shutting down.
    Please make sure that you get all the passwords from the MD.
    If you need to transfer hosting, you will need to get an unlocking code to do this. If you have email addresses like info@yourwebsite.com, that you access using your phone, or Outlook, or something similar, then you will need to set that up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 sparky28

Thanks again for all the advice. Much appreciated.

Advertisement