Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenways [greenway map of Ireland in post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

marno21 wrote: »
    Is this not CPOing land that was previously the railway?
    Markcheese wrote: »
    Yes there would be some farmers on the route with genuine concerns about access
    I would suggest that they be taken to West Limerick to see how that has been done on the Great Southern Trail. Accesses are a red herring, which can be easily taken care of.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭Markcheese

serfboard wrote: »
    Is this not CPOing land that was previously the railway?

I would suggest that they be taken to West Limerick to see how that has been done on the Great Southern Trail. Accesses are a red herring, which can be easily taken care of.

I agree, most of it easily taken care of...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Good grief. Honestly I believe that some some people don't actually understand what the concept of the greenway is.

"Everybody would have a stake in the greenway [if they tolled it]". Amazing.

marno21 wrote: »
    So this guy is suggesting that access is not the problem - the problem is that there's no trough for farmers to stick their snouts into.

If he's wrong, I'd expect the IFA to issue a statement expressing their outrage about the suggestion that the issue is about money.

If he's right, then, number one, 'tis pue gobmeenism, and number two, "Hey enterprising farmers, why not stick a shed on your land and offer something for passing walkers and cyclists to purchase - tea, coffee, snacks ..."

There's a great example of this at the bottom of the Knocknarea walk in Sligo, where a woman, whose family land adjoins the walk, sells tea, coffee and (delicious) crepes that she'll make up there on the spot.

And her little shed cafe is called "Base Camp" :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

What's even more evident is that it shows a "them and us" mentality.

This greenway "isn't for the farmers/landowners". There needs to be "something for the farmers/landowners". This is something for someone else, in their eyes.

In that respect, they literally don't understand what the greenway (and potentially any other civic amenity for that matter) is.

I certainly wouldn't contemplate paying a toll to use a greenway in Kerry.

I certainly wouldn't contemplate paying a toll to use a greenway in Kerry.
    Neither would anyone else. It's a completely ridiculous suggestion.

Kerry Radio must be stuck for content to have even entertained it.

I forgot - we're dealing with Healy-Rae country here, where no suggestion or idea is too ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Easy solution to all this.

1. All disused railways and greenways made State lands
    2. Run JCBs down all encroachments.
    3. Tell squatters to go F.
    4. Charge farmers for access. If they get shirty about it, go back to option 2.
    5. Pave or rail over all greenways and use them exclusively for public transport.
    6. Give cyclists safe route cycling. This will be done by reclassifying most rural roads as access only for cars etc. and reclassifying them as “roads used as public paths” (RUPP).

Problems solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭Markcheese

1. All disused railways and greenways made State lands
    2. Run JCBs down all encroachments.
    3. Tell squatters to go F.
    4. Charge farmers for access. If they get shirty about it, go back to option 2.
    5. Pave or rail over all greenways and use them exclusively for public transport.
    6. Give cyclists safe route cycling. This will be done by reclassifying most rural roads as access only for cars etc. and reclassifying them as “roads used as public paths” (RUPP).

Problems solved.

My word, why haven't you run for office...
    Some of the ideas, like just running a bull dozer down publicly owned routes should be done ASAP, (isn't always as easy as that either) bit more tricky though when the land is privately owned,
    Access for cars only on rural roads... What about tractors and delivery collection lorries, and when you add in local access that's pretty much all the traffic using a rural road...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

Ah, here....

1. All disused railways and greenways made are State lands. ( under the ownership of CIE Property)
    2. Run JCBs down all encroachments- ( criminal damage).
    3. Tell squatters to go F. ( put that in writing to the owner of the piebald ponies)
    4. Charge farmers for access. If they get shirty about it, go back to option 2. (:D:D:D yellow vests from under the bed immediately)
    5. Pave or rail over all greenways and use them exclusively for public transport. ( cycling is a means of transport )
    6. Give cyclists safe route cycling. This will be done by reclassifying most rural roads as access only for cars etc. and reclassifying them as “roads used as public paths” (RUPP). ( explain "etc" :confused: ?)

Problems solved.

• Advertisement

Muckyboots wrote: »
    Ah, here....

Leave it ouh! :pac:

Joking aside, there are path and road options in rural England and Wales that fall under the categories “RUPP” and even “BOAT”...

Linky - https://naturenet.net/row/rowdefinitions.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Leave it ouh! :pac:

Joking aside, there are path and road options in rural England and Wales that fall under the categories “RUPP” and even “BOAT”...

Linky - https://naturenet.net/row/rowdefinitions.html

To quote your link
    Some highways are still legally classified as a RUPP, which is a very vague definition. Most of these are being reclassified as BOATs or other highways, but this process will go on for many years yet. Meanwhile their status remains ambiguous, and probably local custom is the best indication of what you can and cannot do.

So we wouldn't want to turn anything into a RUPP as its vague and being phased out. They should become BOATs/Restricted Byways (Note these definitions certainly rely in part on the Public Right to Roam existing in Great Britain but not in NI or Ireland) or some format not classified in the UK but probably similar to the German Fahrradstraße (I cant find the rural equivalent but essentially local access only apart from pedestrians and cyclists)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Work has started on the next (short) stretch of the Old Rail Trail in Athlone, from the N55 to the river here: https://goo.gl/maps/8rErfVocu7y

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Work has started on the next (short) stretch of the Old Rail Trail in Athlone, from the N55 to the river here: https://goo.gl/maps/8rErfVocu7y

I noticed some clearance works have taken place at the other end as well, not sure if they are strictly related though. They only need to cut across that patch of land to get from the railway line to the hospital, but the clearance works were right up to the road.

469435.jpg

http://www.westmeathcoco.ie/en/media/Part_8_August%20_2015_drawings.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Cheers for that, added to the map, along with the Ballinasloe Canal Greenway, theres a campaign group going for that also on facebook. If a Shannon bridge was made at the end of the Grand Canal It could offer an additional access to the Galway - Athlone section of Euro Velo 2

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Planning permission lodged for Grand Canal Greenway from 12th Lock to Hazelhatch, according to the Tallaght Echo.

spacetweek wrote: »
    Planning permission lodged for Grand Canal Greenway from 12th Lock to Hazelhatch, according to the Tallaght Echo.

And another bit of timelessness near Dublin gets an unwelcome ‘makeover’.

An Taisce need to get cracking about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

You can always put your money where your mouth is by making your observation to the planning authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

You can always put your money where your mouth is by making your observation to the planning authority.

A waste of time - and money.

Thanks for telling me the obvious but to put your mind at rest I will be doing that anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

What exactly is getting a makeover that you're unhappy with?

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭G-Man

That timelessness is being vandalized as it is, now with passing cyclists and pedestrians, it will be valued more..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone know how successful the greenways around Athlone/Mullingar/Longford have been so far? It seems Westport and Waterford get all the media attention. Are the midlands greenways attracting many domestic day trippers from outside the area?

Also does anyone know the status of the Blessington greenway? I remember some fanfare about a year back but heard nothing about funding or progress since. With its close location to Dublin and superb scenery around the lake I think the Blessington one has huge potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Anyone know how successful the greenways around Athlone/Mullingar/Longford have been so far? It seems Westport and Waterford get all the media attention. Are the midlands greenways attracting many domestic day trippers from outside the area?

Also does anyone know the status of the Blessington greenway? I remember some fanfare about a year back but heard nothing about funding or progress since. With its close location to Dublin and superb scenery around the lake I think the Blessington one has huge potential.

we did the Mullingar/Athlone last year and found it very good. From the people i spoke to on the route it seam to be mainly westmeath natives using it, maybe it was just the day that was in it but i think its good that so many locals where using it , these should be more than just a tourist generator and should be aimed at being an amenity for the public

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

roadmaster wrote: »
    we did the Mullingar/Athlone last year and found it very good. From the people i spoke to on the route it seam to be mainly westmeath natives using it, maybe it was just the day that was in it but i think its good that so many locals where using it , these should be more than just a tourist generator and should be aimed at being an amenity for the public

certainly in and around Athlone the greenway has been a huge success for locals, from what I've heard. I was on it on Christmas eve at around 5pm (so after dark) and there were plenty of people out walking on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Anyone know how successful the greenways around Athlone/Mullingar/Longford have been so far? It seems Westport and Waterford get all the media attention. Are the midlands greenways attracting many domestic day trippers from outside the area? .

Athlone Mullingar is different to Longford/Royal Canal in that it is more or less finished and has a fantastic smooth surface and is reasonably wide to the best of my recollection. someone I was on it with described it as boring and its true it's not scenic in the way the other two are but it's so peaceful and relaxing to cycle 2 or 3 abreast (wasn't busy that day) and chat without traffic noise or worries

Longford itself is a spur off the Royal Canal, poor surface, extremely narrow in places and badly in need of an upgrade. The long Clondra to Spencer Dock Royal Canal Greenway isn't finished yet but of course large sections in midlands are, again lots of gravel surface, not especially wide, countless gates with narrow openings, (not a patch on Waterford design), lots of road crossings and desperate signage. Still worthwhile to get to cycle off-road but again quiet peaceful water views and lovely old bridges rather than stunning scenery.

Agree very much that it#s very important for locals to have off road amenities like this and the Longford Tourism may follow with the opening this year of Centre Parcs but route is currently imo only suitable for hybrid or mountain bike tho Mercian Pro posted here I think and probably used his road bike. More seriously it's not currently (because of gates) suitable for cargo/trailer/e-bikes, adult trikes or recumbent bikes so def not cycling for all. I read last year somewhere that Waterways Irl or the Co Co's or maybe a consortium have set up a marketing group for this Greenway so we'll see what happens this year.

Signage in Longford town for it is very poor. there was no bike parking in Clondra tho' it's the ultimate destination! Only the pub was geared to tourists!

Sorry long post but you asked! Neither Greenway at the races yet when it comes to marketing. Now if when Liffey Cycle Route gets built you could take bike on train to Mullingar from Connolly, cycle to Athlone and get train back to Heuston, if train took more than 2 bikes of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭G-Man

This is good. But why can't we have decent cycling and walking facilities near our schools , shops and houses..

Cycling and walking should not be something we need to go somewhere to do..

With these new Greenways we make it seem all is good but all we have done is made lack of access a problem .. what do these Greenways do for kids in an inner city school or car less family be able to go about their daily lives safely

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Dats me

G-Man wrote: »
    This is good. But why can't we have decent cycling and walking facilities near our schools , shops and houses..

With these new Greenways we make it seem all is good but all we have done is made lack of access a problem .. what do these Greenways do for kids in an inner city school or car less family be able to go about their daily lives safely

They're separate issues: commuting and recreation.

I don't think you'll find anyone who follows these forums who wouldn't advocate for investment in cycling and walking infrastructure for both

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

G-Man wrote: »

Dodder Greenway will serve schools, Marian College and The High School along with others.

Advertisement