Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenways [greenway map of Ireland in post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Dats me

ED E wrote: »
    Dodder Greenway will serve schools, Marian College and The High School along with others.

From what I've seen it looks really disappointing: https://irishcycle.com/2018/10/02/conflict-ahead-as-dodder-greenway-plan-mixes-walking-and-cycling/

But yeah it could be really good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭serfboard

blueballfc wrote: »
    From that Connacht Telegraph article:
    AN €11 million ‘pot’ was announced today for greenway, cycleway and walkway projects across Ireland. A sum of €800,000 of the monies allocated will go to Greenway projects in Mayo
    Good man, Minister for Mayo Michael Ring, bring home the bacon! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

Money to do the section from Pullogh to join up with the Lough Boora parklands walks and cycle ways. Offers lots of opportunity to walk or cycle to and from the parklands.

From the Offaly Express
    The works in Offaly include €200,000 for the clompletion of linkage of the Grand Canal Greenway to the Royal Canal Greenway
    from Ballycomon Bridge, Campbells Bridge, and Kilbeggan, as well as a further €200,000 for an extension from Poolagh to the Lough Boora Discovery Park, Offaly's primary tourist attraction.

https://www.offalyexpress.ie/news/home/356637/offaly-s-grand-canal-greenway-gets-huge-400-000-funding-boost.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

How are they connecting the 2 canals? Is there an abandoned link or is it through secondary roads?

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

How are they connecting the 2 canals? Is there an abandoned link or is it through secondary roads?

Abandoned canal branch from Ballycomon Tullamore to Kilbeggan. Not sure of route from Kilbeggan to Mullingar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭blueballfc

Partly through the kilbeggan branch and then from there to the old rail trail
    History of the kilbeggan branch is here
    http://www.askaboutireland.ie/reading-room/environment-geography/transport/inland-waterways-in-westm/the-royal-canal-the-grand/
    Bit more detail on kilbeggan the old rail trail which links royal canal here

https://www.offalyindependent.ie/news/roundup/articles/2018/11/29/4165842-500k-for-greenway-at-kilbeggan-harbour/

Substantial work has already been completed on the cycleway from Kilbeggan to the Streamstown access point on the Old Rail Trail Greenway

My hope is that over time, as more and more start cycling, that there will be a shift in society away from the car centric view to a more holistic and inclusive view.

A shift in planning, development, and expectations so that when something is being built all users are considered and not just cars

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Dats me wrote: »
    From what I've seen it looks really disappointing: https://irishcycle.com/2018/10/02/conflict-ahead-as-dodder-greenway-plan-mixes-walking-and-cycling/

But yeah it could be really good

SDCC screwed the pooch on that one. It had(has) lots of potential if they listened to the original consult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

blueballfc wrote: »
    Partly through the kilbeggan branch and then from there to the old rail trail
    History of the kilbeggan branch is here
    http://www.askaboutireland.ie/reading-room/environment-geography/transport/inland-waterways-in-westm/the-royal-canal-the-grand/
    Bit more detail on kilbeggan the old rail trail which links royal canal here

https://www.offalyindependent.ie/news/roundup/articles/2018/11/29/4165842-500k-for-greenway-at-kilbeggan-harbour/

Substantial work has already been completed on the cycleway from Kilbeggan to the Streamstown access point on the Old Rail Trail Greenway

If anyone is able to find more information on this "Substantial work" I would greatly appreciate it, can see nothing on the Westmeath CoCo website...

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ForiegnNational

Cork Council have approved the progrssion of the Middleton to Youghal greenway

Details in the Evening Echo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭blueballfc

If anyone is able to find more information on this "Substantial work" I would greatly appreciate it, can see nothing on the Westmeath CoCo website...

So was on the old rail trail at streamstown had a look around for any sign of works on the link to Kilbeggan referenced in the article I quoted from. Not a sign of anything that even remotely looked like greenway construction. Dan scally might be confusing an on road cycle route than a greenway

Added the upper section of the lee2sea greenway to the map, most of the remainder of it is already covered by other greenways, but good to have a cohesive idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Added the upper section of the lee2sea greenway to the map, most of the remainder of it is already covered by other greenways, but good to have a cohesive idea.

Say what?
    Is this a thing.?
    I've thought a walkway, from gougane Barra to the city and on coulld be a serious tourist route, and most of it already state owned...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Say what?
    Is this a thing.?
    I've thought a walkway, from gougane Barra to the city and on coulld be a serious tourist route, and most of it already state owned...

Seems like a new campaign to try to tie together the existing sections and add on a major central and west section, which could then comparatively easily be pushed west.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭Markcheese

City Council (I assume) own the Lee fields, John A Woods owns most of the rest of the way to carrigrohan... Cork Co. Co. own ballincolig regional park, to inniscara Bridge, and esb own from just past the bridge to out past the Gearagh, on the way to Inchigeela, I assume it's mostly individual land owners who own the rest of the river banks, back to gougane...
    It'd be an amazing walking route..
    (that's not to say there wouldnt be objections from some home owners and farmers who the path would go right in front of their houses..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Further information requested by ABP on the South Kerry greenway: https://www.radiokerry.ie/bord-pleanala-requests-information-relation-south-kerry-greenway/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Work has started on the short extension to the Great Southern Greenway at Barnagh tunnel

https://www.facebook.com/southerntrail.374/posts/2317302028505368

Edit: More of a diversion than an extension!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

€17.5 million in funding has been allocated for a section of the Dublin Bay greenway between Booterstown and Dún Laoghaire, according to the lord mayor of Dún Laoghaire Rathdown County Council. Cllr Ossian Smyth (Green Party) said: "Happy to announce that €17.5m has been allocated by the NTA for the S2S coastal greenway from Booterstown to Dún Laoghaire. Design and planning is underway."

https://irishcycle.com/2019/02/12/e17-5-funding-for-new-section-of-s2s-dublin-bay-greenway/

When asked by a member of the public on Twitter would it be routed along the coast, Cllr Smyth said: “Mostly – the only section in doubt is from Blackrock to Merrion Gates and this is still being worked on.”

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

17.5 million for a 5km greenway is a gross waste of money. Could build a 50km greenway on an old railway track between 2 towns in Ireland for less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

17.5 million for a 5km greenway is a gross waste of money. Could build a 50km greenway on an old railway track between 2 towns in Ireland for less.

"The Mayo Greenway cost €7.5 million and the Waterford Greenway cost €20 million and the return on investment was almost immediate.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/travel/ireland/the-story-behind-ireland-s-greenway-success-1.3352239

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

The Dundrum bypass was 44 million for 1.2km of road. Was that also a gross waste of money?

Given the route is along the coast I'd assume the cost probably includes coastal protection measures so its a bit early to judge it a waste before full details on costs are known.

And some progress along the East Coast trail is better than none.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

And once this stretch is finished perhaps they can get on and bulldoze one through between Greystones and Wicklow - Greenways are the answer to everything - especially providing badly needed jobs. But aren't we already at 'full' employment? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Though this greenway will likely carry vastly more people then any rural greenway ever would.

Obviously building any infrastructure in a busy city costs more then an empty rural area. But you also have to look at it's likely utilisation.

A fairer way to look at this would be the cost divided by the number of yearly users.

An example of this would be the WRC. It cost just 100million, relatively cheap for a rail project. But the problem with it is how few people use it. 100million wouldn't get you a fraction of that distance in Dublin, but would have likely carried hundreds of times more passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

it's worth noting that the headline figure for the 2km of the S2S between Clontarf & St Anne's park was €5m, yet this included a complete rebuild, resurfacing and realignment of the road, new water mains, flood protection and footpaths for the 2km stretch, as well as the cycle track.

from time to time I still hear the "€5m for a cycle lane" sh1te trotted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

bk wrote: »
    Though this greenway will likely carry vastly more people then any rural greenway ever would.

Obviously building any infrastructure in a busy city costs more then an empty rural area. But you also have to look at it's likely utilisation.

A fairer way to look at this would be the cost divided by the number of yearly users.

An example of this would be the WRC. It cost just 100million, relatively cheap for a rail project. But the problem with it is how few people use it. 100million wouldn't get you a fraction of that distance in Dublin, but would have likely carried hundreds of times more passengers.

Can easily walk on a footpath from Booterstown to Dun laoghaire already, which can't be done between 2 towns in Ireland.

A greenway in the country revitalises the area, attracting tourists from everywhere. Spending 17.5 million on a 5km greenway is obscene, especially as it's unlikely to be used given anybody could already cycle or walk between the 2 areas and it doesn't have much attraction for tourists either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Can easily walk on a footpath from Booterstown to Dun laoghaire already, which can't be done between 2 towns in Ireland.

A greenway in the country revitalises the area, attracting tourists from everywhere. Spending 17.5 million on a 5km greenway is obscene, especially as it's unlikely to be used given anybody could already cycle or walk between the 2 areas and it doesn't have much attraction for tourists either.

I'm sorry but this is just a completely unfounded opinion - there's plenty of evidence that a greenway along Dublin Bay would be a huge attraction for tourists.

Phoenix Park is always swimming with tourists on rental bikes from the store near the Heuston Gates, even in the depths of winter. In the summer it's a very popular activity. And that's just Phoenix Park, which while beautiful, doesn't have a whole lot to see or do in it.

Dublin Bay has some absolutely stunning views, and the coastline is dotted with great places to eat and drink. Tourists already love to hike and walk Howth and Bray Heads, so it's clear there's a big market for leisure activities for tourists.

Also, let's see what the breakdown is on the spending for this. I'd wager, much like the Clontarf to St Anne's section mentioned before, there's a lot included in this figure that has little to do with the actual greenway itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

it's not just a greenway - it will be a cycling highway at rush hour, I'd far prefer to cycle along this than take my chances on the Merrion Road.

It'll be very heavily used 7 days a week and it's great news that there is finally some progress. Hopefully they'll get on with the Strand Road section as well, there's loads of space there for a cycle path but it's been tied up in the whole Merrion Gates fiasco for years.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

loyatemu wrote: »
    it's not just a greenway - it will be a cycling highway at rush hour, I'd far prefer to cycle along this than take my chances on the Merrion Road.

It'll be very heavily used 7 days a week and it's great news that there is finally some progress. Hopefully they'll get on with the Strand Road section as well, there's loads of space there for a cycle path but it's been tied up in the whole Merrion Gates fiasco for years.

The Merrion Gates fiasco was derailed (pardon the pun) by the NIMBY crowd led by the IT who objected to the bus lane taking their parking spaces in their front gardens.

They should do the project in isolation, but were hiding the funding in a cycle lane project. It is really a Dart expansion project to eliminate the Merrion Gates to assist the ten minute Dart project.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

loyatemu wrote: »

It's also worth remembering that more people commute by bike in Dublin than commute by Luas, DART and suburban rail combined - just to put the respective investments into context.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It's also worth remembering that more people commute by bike in Dublin than commute by Luas, DART and suburban rail combined - just to put the respective investments into context.

Do you mind me asking for the source of this information?

Advertisement