Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenways [greenway map of Ireland in post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,647 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Two further sections of the Royal Canal Greenway are underway now:

Sheriff Street to North Strand construction has started. This hasn't had any public access recently if ever. Bridge to be built over the railway line at Newcomen Junction so this will make pedestrian and bike commuting from Ballybough to the IFSC shorter and in the case of cycling, vastly safer.

The level crossing at Intel up to Louisa Bridge station is currently being upgraded - this was already compacted gravel so not the worst, but I think the banks weren't that stable. It is only compacted dirt from the level crossing to Dukes Harbour further west as far as I know.

Currently you need to use the R148 to get between these two locations if on bike/foot, not ideal but no way around it.

When it's all done I'll probably do the round trip just for the hell of it - however my current endurance isn't anywhere near up to it and 100% of my cycling for over a year has been on a exercise bike at that as the frame buckled on my Halfords Special!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Del.Monte wrote: »
    One answer would be to build an Information Centre at each end of a Greenway showing the place as it used to be before construction of the greenway, with a few specimens of whatever wildlife used to be present in display cases and then bulldoze away - tarmac/white lines/signage/rubbish bins/toilets/seating/information boards etc.

What?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod:

@ Del Monte - cut the rubbish, and do not add insult by repeating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Hey, saw the much derided tweet of Shane Ross dancing with Arlene Foster, politics aside, great to see the profile of the Enniskillen-Sligo Greenway being raised. I wonder will there be border checkpoints on it when its completed....

Edit: Had a look for some articles on the SLNC Greenway, a few mentioned that theres a demonstration section opened in Dromahair in 2016 and apparently Ross and Foster were in Glenfarne to open another demonstration section, but I havent a clue where either of these sections run, the only one i'm sure of (not marked on my map currently) Is a somewhat useless stub built when they upgraded part of the road between Glenfarne and Manorhamilton (A shocking display of forethought)

Anyone know where they run?

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Hey, saw the much derided tweet of Shane Ross dancing with Arlene Foster, politics aside, great to see the profile of the Enniskillen-Sligo Greenway being raised. I wonder will there be border checkpoints on it when its completed....

Edit: Had a look for some articles on the SLNC Greenway, a few mentioned that theres a demonstration section opened in Dromahair in 2016 and apparently Ross and Foster were in Glenfarne to open another demonstration section, but I havent a clue where either of these sections run, the only one i'm sure of (not marked on my map currently) Is a somewhat useless stub built when they upgraded part of the road between Glenfarne and Manorhamilton (A shocking display of forethought)

Anyone know where they run?

Hi RR, the Dromahair demo section is just off the Dromahair Drumkeeran Drumshanbo Carrick-on Shannon road. It's very picturesque and popular with locals but I'd say the chances of it becoming part of a full Greenway are slim ,notwithstanding the opening of another demo stretch at Glenfarne, because it would be 60+ km I think and most of the land is in private ownership so much more awkward and expensive than using state land as is available for other greenways (See Kerry!) Also there's a second Greenway project in Cavan-Leitrim, the old Cavan Leitrim railway to Dromod and Michael Ring has already announced 2ranches of funding for small sections of that in Cavan. the 2nd one is on the most recent Rural Affairs list "Cavan County Council Belturbet to Lock 1 Corraquill Recreational Trail This is the second phase within Cavan of the larger Greenway project which extends from Belturbet, Co. Cavan to Dromod, Co. Leitrim"
    https://www.leitrimireland.com/listings/clubhouse-dromahair-slncr-abbey-loop-dromahair-leitrim/
    https://www.anglocelt.ie/news/roundup/articles/2018/03/13/4153347-750k-for-new-walking-trail-in-west-cavan/

• Advertisement

Hi RR, the Dromahair demo section is just off the Dromahair Drumkeeran Drumshanbo Carrick-on Shannon road. It's very picturesque and popular with locals but I'd say the chances of it becoming part of a full Greenway are slim ,notwithstanding the opening of another demo stretch at Glenfarne, because it would be 60+ km I think and most of the land is in private ownership so much more awkward and expensive than using state land as is available for other greenways (See Kerry!) Also there's a second Greenway project in Cavan-Leitrim, the old Cavan Leitrim railway to Dromod and Michael Ring has already announced 2ranches of funding for small sections of that in Cavan. the 2nd one is on the most recent Rural Affairs list "Cavan County Council Belturbet to Lock 1 Corraquill Recreational Trail This is the second phase within Cavan of the larger Greenway project which extends from Belturbet, Co. Cavan to Dromod, Co. Leitrim"
    https://www.leitrimireland.com/listings/clubhouse-dromahair-slncr-abbey-loop-dromahair-leitrim/
    https://www.anglocelt.ie/news/roundup/articles/2018/03/13/4153347-750k-for-new-walking-trail-in-west-cavan/

Well there is a published plan for it that ive based my assessment on, wasnt aware of the plans for the Cavan-Leitrim greenway until yesterday though, ive updated the stretch that looks like work is starting soon to 'planned/in progress' and I'll move the other section to 'proposed'

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

How will this affect the plan to bring the narrow gauge from Dromod to Mohill or indeed how will it affect the C&L operation to Clooncolry?

It looks like the initial aim to extend the line to mohill isn't on the cards at present due to funding, I would say an ideal scenario would be to restore the line and put a cycleway alongside the route for the entire length, it would make an absolutely stellar attraction. Failing that due to expense, i'd say putting the cycleway on the line in such a way that the line could be restored at a later date would be acceptable, and incorporate the museum as a greenway feature. At present the greenway is only planned to run from Belturbet to Mohill though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

How will this affect the plan to bring the narrow gauge from Dromod to Mohill or indeed how will it affect the C&L operation to Clooncolry?

Which plan?

Which plan?

I believe when the narrow gauge railway museum was initially opened the goal was to get it running again from Dromod to Mohill, I don't even see it as a stated aim on their website now, most focus seems to be on restoring a new engine.
    While I would absolutely love to see a working narrow gauge operating between two towns in Ireland it seems like its very much on the long finger.
    No risk to the idea anyway at this stage, the greenway is planned to run only to Mohill. If anything it might drum up interest in the area for a full restoration up to Mohill.

Imagine being able to cycle all the way along a beautiful greenway from Belturbet, then putting your bike in the 'bike carrage' of a narrow gauge at Mohill, to take you on to the main railway at Dromod!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Ok, if there's room for both then it can be a good idea. I must say when I first heard the heritage railway in Waterford would continue alongside the Greenway I had my doubts but it works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭roadmaster

L1011 wrote: »
    Two further sections of the Royal Canal Greenway are underway now:

Sheriff Street to North Strand construction has started. This hasn't had any public access recently if ever. Bridge to be built over the railway line at Newcomen Junction so this will make pedestrian and bike commuting from Ballybough to the IFSC shorter and in the case of cycling, vastly safer.

The level crossing at Intel up to Louisa Bridge station is currently being upgraded - this was already compacted gravel so not the worst, but I think the banks weren't that stable. It is only compacted dirt from the level crossing to Dukes Harbour further west as far as I know.

Currently you need to use the R148 to get between these two locations if on bike/foot, not ideal but no way around it.

When it's all done I'll probably do the round trip just for the hell of it - however my current endurance isn't anywhere near up to it and 100% of my cycling for over a year has been on a exercise bike at that as the frame buckled on my Halfords Special!

I have attached a photo from the work at sheriff street, Its harder to get a better one as Jons have the place will secured

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Heartbreak Hank

Promotional video for the Blessington e-greenway

Youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Promotional video for the Blessington e-greenway

Youtube

what makes it an "e-greenway"?

and when is it going to be complete? I've been hearing about it for several years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Heartbreak Hank

loyatemu wrote: »

and when is it going to be complete? I've been hearing about it for several years now.

Seems to be that they want to have e-bike rentals and charging points on the route - I think the "e" is for both the electric aspect and the environmental aspect.

I don't know what stage it is at. I am almost certain it hasn't started construction and I don't think it has secured funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=395040621325130&id=326703511492175
    The Part 8 Public Consultation for the Naas to Sallins Greenway will be published soon. This is a Greenway from Naas at K-Leisure to Sallins Train Station. This will be a linear-Park /Greenway.

It will allow people and particularly children to travel to and from Naas and Sallins by way of a Car free Greenway. The schools will be linked as well as the sports facilities.
    We at Naas Greenways have been advocating for safe segregated walking and cycling facilities to allow our kids to get to School / Clubs with any fear they wont come home.

When the detail is out I will publish it. Also I will be having a Public Meeting in Naas Gaa with all the plans.
    Watch this space for more.

Greenway from Clonakilty to West Cork Business Park due to be finished in May

Also discusses the further extension to Courtmacsherry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Has worked being suspended on the royal canal greenway at sheriff street?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

loyatemu wrote: »

Its hard to know when exactly it is going to get underway as funding has not yet been secured. AFAIK there is a push to get on with it now and thats why they released the video to help with that. All local politicians and businesses are full square behind it. There has been some rumblings on facebook that it needs to be policed or have some security patrolling it, some of the beaches around Blessington lakes already suffer from anti social behaviour on sunny days throughout the summer so people are naturally worried that this will increase. I'm not sure they are right, the people who come down to the lake to drink cans will continue to do that but I cant see the same crowd as being likely to embark on a 42km cycle around the lake. They could cause hassle for cyclists passing through though so maybe it does need at least some patrolling. According to the video they are forecasting 300,000-400,000 visitors a year so this will certainly impact on Blessington in a big way when it gets built.

Regards construction the council manager is on record as saying once funding is secured they feel they can complete the project within 12 months. That sounds a bit ambitious to me but maybe it can be done that fast. One major advantage of implementing the Blessington greenway over others is that there is not dozens of landowners to deal with- the vast majority of the land it crosses is owned by the ESB who are also full square behind the project.

The video on it released earlier this month is a bit long winded but a good watch. The scenery around the Blessington Lakes is superb and with it being so close to Dublin I can see this being the most popular greenway in Ireland when it does eventually get built.

ABP have refused permission for the barrow blueway:

An Bórd Pleanala have announced their decision in relation to the controvertial Barrow Blueway this afternoon.

Permission has been refused.

An order has been made by An Bórd Pleanala today (Wednesday) refusing permission for the 115km 'multi-use shared leisure route.'

The proposed development was to be located along the existing navigation tow path, which is a National Waymarked Way. The route traverses parts of counties Kildare and Laois as well as Carlow.

https://www.carlowlive.ie/news/home/375222/bord-pleanala-announce-decision-on-barrow-blue-way.html

Disappointing Barrow Way News, hopefully they can take a look at it and either fix the problems or find a workable alternative

• Advertisement

Good news and hopefully the proposed East Coast Greenway will go the same way.

Don't get me wrong, I meant disappointing not only because it was rejected but also because the plans they had clearly didn't meet the environmental and local impact standards it should have, I fully hope this will be taken into account for all greenways, east coast included, while the more greenways the better, we cant just be banging them up with no regard for the environment or making them suit the local area, Waterford and Great Western show what can be achieved when the locals are engaged with the idea and actively want to develop tourism along the route. If the locals hate the thing they are hardly going to encourage people to come to it by opening cafe's and tourist hotspots.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Hopefully not - unlike the Barrow Blueway one, the East Coast Greenway has the backing and support of the county council.

Don't get me wrong, I meant disappointing not only because it was rejected but also because the plans they had clearly didn't meet the environmental and local impact standards it should have, I fully hope this will be taken into account for all greenways, east coast included, while the more greenways the better, we cant just be banging them up with no regard for the environment or making them suit the local area, Waterford and Great Western show what can be achieved when the locals are engaged with the idea and actively want to develop tourism along the route. If the locals hate the thing they are hardly going to encourage people to come to it by opening cafe's and tourist hotspots.

There's plenty of local support for the Greystones/Wicklow Greenway whipped up by people promising manna from heaven - jobs and money for all and of course a 'great' new amenity - which is already available to everybody bar wheelchair users and pram pushers.

Most of the route of the proposed East Coast Greenway passes through a sensitive unspoilt ecological area and it doesn't need thousands of additional visitors. Anybody who really knows the area will know that the three main access points (Greystones, KIlcoole and Wicklow) already suffer from degradation from overuse and if the greenway is shoehorned in, things will only get worse for the entire route. There are large stretches of the proposed route that are just not wide enough to accommodate the greenway. Apart from that it's a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭serfboard

Disappointing Barrow Way News, hopefully they can take a look at it and either fix the problems or find a workable alternative
    The decision from An Bord Pleanala (ABP) is here. It's written in legalese, with prenty of double negatives ("the boards is not satisifed that it would not ..."), so I've bolded it below to take that out. The following were the grounds for refusal:

1. Impact on an SAC:
    ABP wrote:
    the Board is not satisfied ... that the proposed development ... would not adversely affect the integrity of the River Barrow and River Nore SAC, in the light of its conservation objectives.

2. Insufficient path width leading to safety concerns:
    ABP wrote:
    restrictions on path width along the route, and in particular along the southern sections of the route ... there is potential for the 1,500 users per day threshold between a high and low volume cycleway as per the TII Rural Cycleway Design Standard document to be exceeded at peak periods on the busiest sections of the route ... giv[ing] rise to concerns relating to potential users conflicts such that it is not possible to state that significant issues of user safety would not arise. On the basis of the information available the proposed development is therefore considered likely to endanger public safety by reason of likely user conflicts

3. Effect on landscape:
    ABP wrote:
    It is considered that the nature of the proposed development is such that the landscape impact and magnitude of change on views is more significant than that presented in the revised EIS, and such that the overall landscape and visual impacts arising are significantly negative particularly in the southern sections of the route within County Carlow. The proposed development would therefore interfere with the character of the existing landscape

4. There also had concerns about the surface type proposed:
    ABP wrote:
    ... the provision of an alternative Type E ‘tar and chip’ bound surface in place of the originally proposed Type A unbound surface ... the Board considered that the introduction of such an alternative surface would result in additional adverse impacts in terms of landscape and visual impact and would give rise to increased cyclist speeds that, combined with the concerns regarding the ... projected usage and accommodation of the design path width of 2.5 metres, could potentially increase conflicts between users. It is not considered that these concerns have been adequately addressed in the information submitted. The Board is also not satisfied that, on the basis of the information presented, it can be concluded ... that the proposed alternative Type E surface would not have an adverse effect on the ... SAC

For anyone who supports the destruction of our rail network in favour of bikes - this nonsense is back in the news. Brexit, global warming , the need to get passengers and freight back on the rails just passes over the heads of the intelligentsia in Wexford County Council.

Screenshot%2Bfrom%2B2019-04-16%2B13-40-12.png

It would take longer to load and unload a train of freight than it would be to load it onto trucks and drive the 57km

Trains make no sense for a large portion of Ireland anymore, especially for freight. This has been clear for years with the dwindling freight numbers carried by rail.

It would take longer to load and unload a train of freight than it would be to load it onto trucks and drive the 57km

Trains make no sense for a large portion of Ireland anymore, especially for freight. This has been clear for years with the dwindling freight numbers carried by rail.

Are you being deliberately obtuse? The Rosslare/Waterford route is a small part of a through route - it was never intended as a branchline serving Campile and Ballycullane. Anyway, I put it here for information and do with it what you like as all the arguments are done to death.

For anyone who supports the destruction of our rail network in favour of bikes - this nonsense is back in the news. Brexit, global warming , the need to get passengers and freight back on the rails just passes over the heads of the intelligentsia in Wexford County Council.

Screenshot%2Bfrom%2B2019-04-16%2B13-40-12.png

How long has this route been out of use? and is there currently a plan to reopen it? Every year its just 'abandoned' is another year towards unchallengeable encroachment on the line. As long as something robust, like a better form of American 'railbanking' is implemented, i don't see a reason why the route couldn't be protected by a greenway

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Agree totally.

The country has invested in motorways, and not railways. If we had drive on drive off freight trains, like used in the Channel Tunnel, there could be some point, but it would be impossible to go that way now we have a very comprehensive motorway network (with a few exceptions - Cork Limerick).

Ireland is too small and the rail network is now too restricted to make it work. The ending of sugar beet removed the last bulk freight, Even the fertiliser plant in Arklow has gone.

The freight train has had its last whistle.

Advertisement