Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenways [greenway map of Ireland in post 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Anyone cycled the canal Newry to Portadown? Thinking of giving it a go next week, is it all decent path?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

MJohnston wrote: »
    Galway to Clifden will be a beautiful cycle. Surprisingly lacking in much gradient work for such a mountainous area!

There was a steam railway route via moycullen and oughterard, so usual max railway gradients.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

CatInABox wrote: »
    I'm usually loath to put up anything directly from a politician, but I'm not sure I'll find a more succinct summary of bribes funded projects.

*snip*

I will admit i'm disappointed there isnt more of the SLNCR route being done this round, especially after the literal song and dance Shane Ross made of it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

serfboard wrote: »
    God you're awful cynical. If that's the way you think, you could describe every bit of infrastructure spending as bribery - and maybe you do.

Me, I'm not naive enough to think that there is no political prioritisation going on, but there is an overall strategy to provide more Greenways, and anything that advances it, I welcome.

I see ten projects here, only two of which are in the GDA. Low-cost, sustainable rural infrastructure which will bring health (physical and mental) benefits to local communities as well as bringing tourists off the beaten track? I'm all for it, however it comes.

Jokingly cynical, to be honest, nothing more.

Greenways are a great investment in infrastructure, and will always have my support.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Midleton to Youghal just got funding approved.
    Hopefully changes the colour on the greenway map to orange?

Who is updating the map? There's a few more schemes progressing in the Dunkettle area too.

• Advertisement

Midleton to Youghal just got funding approved.
    Hopefully changes the colour on the greenway map to orange?

Who is updating the map? There's a few more schemes progressing in the Dunkettle area too.

Could you let me know the status/route of the Dunkettle changes? There was a tranche of funding announced recently but I hadn't had time to go through and check that all the funded routes were up to date. Midleton-Youghal updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭serfboard

Midleton-Youghal updated.
    Just to let you know riddlinrussell, you have the Cahersiveen Greenway as both "Proposed" and "Planned/In Progress".

Just to let you know riddlinrussell, you have the Cahersiveen Greenway as both "Proposed" and "Planned/In Progress".

Thats intentional, the full route has been proposed, the currently planned section is Glenbeigh/Cahersiveen.

Will it actually run straight to Farranfore? Possibly not (Although the optics of being able to cycle straight from the Airport to the end of the Iveragh would be pretty cool)
    More likely the rest of the route will use a good bit of the railbed, then veer off towards Killarney.

Could you let me know the status/route of the Dunkettle changes? There was a tranche of funding announced recently but I hadn't had time to go through and check that all the funded routes were up to date. Midleton-Youghal updated.

I'm expecting very poor quality designs for each, but still... funding for both is approved

The Glanmire - Dunkettle section was part of the Part 8 here:
    https://www.corkcoco.ie/sites/default/files/2018-05/SHT_20_GLAM_CT_009.1%20-%20009.6_0.pdf

The Dukettle scheme itself was part of the part 8 here:
    https://www.corkcoco.ie/en/traffic-transport/statutory-processes

I'm expecting very poor quality designs for each, but still... funding for both is approved

The min requirements were already set out last year for all future greenways. Any reason why you think these won't follow those?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

Any recent updates re: the Dodder Greenway?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Qrt wrote: »
    Any recent updates re: the Dodder Greenway?

Phase 1 at tender stage at the moment

The Glanmire - Dunkettle section was part of the Part 8 here:
    https://www.corkcoco.ie/sites/default/files/2018-05/SHT_20_GLAM_CT_009.1%20-%20009.6_0.pdf

The Dukettle scheme itself was part of the part 8 here:
    https://www.corkcoco.ie/en/traffic-transport/statutory-processes

Thanks for that! Updated it now. I haven't been and won't be including 'shared footway' its not adequate for pedestrians or cyclists, and if I included it all as 'potential' cycleway/greenway then the map would be full of it.

The min requirements were already set out last year for all future greenways. Any reason why you think these won't follow those?

IU-1 wasn't supposed to be a greenway according to the Cork Cycle Network Plan 2017. It was supposed to be a fully segregated two-way cycle route. All the pedestrian/cyclist shared facilities are listed on it, and this isn't one.

The Glanmire route was badly designed at first attempt with 2m width, partial segregation and ceding priority at many driveways. The NTA got involved and directed that full segregation, 4m width and full priority will be required. The council accepted the correction but no new design has been published to date.

Thanks for that! Updated it now. I haven't been and won't be including 'shared footway' its not adequate for pedestrians or cyclists, and if I included it all as 'potential' cycleway/greenway then the map would be full of it.

Exactly. Luckily the Glanmire bit was forced into redesign by the NTA, so perhaps we may see usable infrastructure.
    The building development (660 houses) is progressing quite well, but still the same old road at present.

There are likely more routes that I have missed, I never actually dug into the CMATS to add any proposed routes that were in it (bit busy at present). As always, if anyone sees anything I've missed or that they know of in their local area, please let me know and I'll get on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Anyone cycled the canal Newry to Portadown? Thinking of giving it a go next week, is it all decent path?

Yeah, all tarmac. Mostly off road, with some quiet local access roads.
    I'd start in Portadown, so's not to be hanging about there at the end (July). Got the train there from Newry, its about £3.50 for adults, bikes are free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Yeah, all tarmac. Mostly off road, with some quiet local access roads.
    I'd start in Portadown, so's not to be hanging about there at the end (July). Got the train there from Newry, its about £3.50 for adults, bikes are free.

Thanks, sounds great, yeah I won't be hanging around in Portadown 😂

Thanks, sounds great, yeah I won't be hanging around in Portadown
    Yeah - the disadvantage of cycling from Newry to Portadown is that, at the end of your trip, you're in Portadown :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Portadown has a lovely train station that will help take you away from that problem though ;)

• Advertisement

Added a significant section of Greenway alongside the N56 from Maas townland to Cloughwally (Complete from Cloughwally to Lettermacaward, remaining section in progress alongside the roadworks on that section.)

You may note I called it greenway rather than cycleway, I drove past it on Saturday and was, quite frankly, blown away by the quality of the route, in many places it is fully separate from the road (although visible from it) and in some places is entirely deviated from the road route so is substantial enough in its own right to be considered a fully separate greenway (similar to the envisaged Sligo, Leitrim and North Counties, which would run close to the N16 for most of its length)

If this is the new standard that TII are doing national road works to regarding cycling/pedestrian provision then I plan to be very excited about any forthcoming N road improvement works coming down the line.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Added a significant section of Greenway alongside the N56 from Maas townland to Cloughwally (Complete from Cloughwally to Lettermacaward, remaining section in progress alongside the roadworks on that section.)

You may note I called it greenway rather than cycleway, I drove past it on Saturday and was, quite frankly, blown away by the quality of the route, in many places it is fully separate from the road (although visible from it) and in some places is entirely deviated from the road route so is substantial enough in its own right to be considered a fully separate greenway (similar to the envisaged Sligo, Leitrim and North Counties, which would run close to the N16 for most of its length)

If this is the new standard that TII are doing national road works to regarding cycling/pedestrian provision then I plan to be very excited about any forthcoming N road improvement works coming down the line.

Quite a lot of that greenway is using the old N56 before realignment I believe.

There's another 15km of that road to be realigned about to be tendered. It'll be 26km from Dungloe to the R262 junction south of Glenties when complete.

marno21 wrote: »
    Quite a lot of that greenway is using the old N56 before realignment I believe.

There's another 15km of that road to be realigned about to be tendered. It'll be 26km from Dungloe to the R262 junction south of Glenties when complete.

Wasnt really looking hard at the works at the Dungloe end unfortunately, but theres a long section without the cycleway from there to Cloughwally, which is unfortunate, I'd say a full Dungloe - Glenties greenway would be quite the tourist draw.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Wasnt really looking hard at the works at the Dungloe end unfortunately, but theres a long section without the cycleway from there to Cloughwally, which is unfortunate, I'd say a full Dungloe - Glenties greenway would be quite the tourist draw.

The two schemes due for tender are Dungloe-Cloghbolie (7.5km) and Letterilly-Glenties-Kilraine (7.5km). The completed section is Cloghbolie-Boyoughter-Kilkenny-Letterilly, which was done in three phases.

marno21 wrote: »
    The two schemes due for tender are Dungloe-Cloghbolie (7.5km) and Letterilly-Glenties-Kilraine (7.5km). The completed section is Cloghbolie-Boyoughter-Kilkenny-Letterilly, which was done in three phases.

Oh wow ok! I'll optimisticially mark the whole of the route as a planned greenway in that case, it would be a real shame if the forthcoming improvements failed to capitalise on whats already there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭veryangryman

The Dublin-Galway Greenway has some route news. West of Athlone, she's going to drop to Shannonbridge, onto Ballinasloe, Kilreekil, Loughrea and onto Galway. Westmeath Independent has the article. It is to follow the railway line to Monksland before the drop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

The Dublin-Galway Greenway has some route news. West of Athlone, she's going to drop to Shannonbridge, onto Ballinasloe, Kilreekil, Loughrea and onto Galway. Westmeath Independent has the article. It is to follow the railway line to Monksland before the drop

https://www.westmeathindependent.ie/news/roundup/articles/2019/07/15/4176982-athlone-to-galway-cyclewa/

The preferred route is proposed to run from Athlone town to Ballinasloe via Shannonbridge, following the rail line to Daneshill before turning southwards in Roscommon.

“Land severance here is minimised via skirting privately owned land and Bord na Mona bogs. The route then continues southwards through Crannagh More and Garryngowna before moving south east towards Cregganbeaka, close to the River Shannon with views of Clonmacnoise,” the tender documents state.

From there the cycleway would run westwards towards Moore, northwest of Clooniff Bog, before moving south the route crosses the R357 north of Shannonbridge, allowing cyclists the option to continue onto Clonmacnoise on their travels. From this point, the route runs westward as far as Oldtown Wood.

“It is then proposed to cross the River Suck at Correen and follow the disused canal as far as Poolboy, before making its way into Ballinasloe town along the old canal,” the tender for the planning and design of the Athlone Castle to Galway section of the greenway reveals. The route then moves west towards Aughrim, to Kilreekil and onto Loughrea, Clarinbridge and Oranmore before making it way into Galway city.

Grassey wrote: »
    From that article:
    the requirement to compulsory acquire approximately 228 acres between Athlone and Eyre Square in Galway city
    And that's the end of that.

CPOs, for anything other than road building, are not tolerated in this country. Allowed in law, but not tolerated.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

From that article:

And that's the end of that.

CPOs, for anything other than road building, are not tolerated in this country. Allowed in law, but not tolerated.

That equates to a 10 metre wide strip for the distance covered. I would not think there would be much complaint.

• Advertisement

That equates to a 10 metre wide strip for the distance covered. I would not think there would be much complaint.
    God bless your naivety - if it was a 1m wide strip there will be objections. 'Tis all about land. It will not be given up without a fight.

Advertisement