Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenways [greenway map of Ireland in post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

That equates to a 10 metre wide strip for the distance covered. I would not think there would be much complaint.

It's MY field :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

It's MY field :)

If they are following the border between two owners, it is a strip 5 metres wide - hardly worth fighing over but well worth the compo.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

Planning granted for part of the Grand Canal to Royal Canal link. Permission granted as far as the county boundary.

https://www.offalyexpress.ie/news/home/431860/ambitious-offaly-greenway-link-to-westmeath-gets-planning-approval.html

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

marno21 wrote: »

The original greenway pioneers. Fair dues.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Anyone know when all of Enfield to Maynooth will be finished? We did Ballymahon to Clondra last year and Mullingar to Enfield in March. Next bit wasn't open then but presume it has progressed since . It's sometimes difficult to get up to date info online as old stuff doesn't get deleted. Royal Canal Greenway site says 2 sections remain to be completed and will be finished in 2019 but piece isn't dated

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Muckyboots wrote: »
    The original greenway pioneers. Fair dues.

How do you reckon that? If anything the Great Southern Greenway http://www.southerntrail.net/ was the first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

Del.Monte wrote: »
    How do you reckon that? If anything the Great Southern Greenway http://www.southerntrail.net/ was the first.

Into which Tralee Fenit will be incorporated, and well you know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Muckyboots wrote: »
    Into which Tralee Fenit will be incorporated, and well you know it.

that makes no difference in terms of which of the 2 came first. if the southern trail came first then it is the first.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭serfboard

that makes no difference in terms of which of the 2 came first. if the southern trail came first then it is the first.
    Indeed. To quote Flann O'Brien the GST was envisaged and built at a time when it was neither profitable nor popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Hello folks, back from a holiday, let me know if there's any major map changes need made that I've missed! Updated the Grand-Royal link with that article. Some minor tweaks to the Galway-Athlone route but I'd like to see the full planned route before I do major changes to that.

Hello folks, back from a holiday, let me know if there's any major map changes need made that I've missed! Updated the Grand-Royal link with that article. Some minor tweaks to the Galway-Athlone route but I'd like to see the full planned route before I do major changes to that.
    Welcome back. This is a minor tweak, but could you please change Tralee-Fenit from "Proposed" to "Planned/In Progress" in line with this:
    marno21 wrote: »
    If it's a lot of trouble don't bother until we actually see machinery on site!

serfboard wrote: »
    Welcome back. This is a minor tweak, but could you please change Tralee-Fenit from "Proposed" to "Planned/In Progress" in line with this:

If it's a lot of trouble don't bother until we actually see machinery on site!

Will do, do you know if Kerry Co-Co have a link to the plans for it? I'll put it into planned anyway, there's a good bit of impetus behind it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Over in the Waterford forum, there’s news of a spur on the Waterford Greenway to Kilmeaden.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110798521&postcount=1287

There’s plans linked in one of the subsequent posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Its not on the map in post 1 and I didnt see anything otherwise on it on the thread, but there's already preliminary work being done for the "Cavan Town to Butlersbridge Railway Greenway"
    The contract for design and planning was tendered for in May, and planning has been granted this week - so it seems to be something that will be getting underway relatively soon.
    https://www.contractfinderpro.com/doc/kPqQN/cavan-county-council/itt-technical-consultancy-services-preliminary
    https://www.northernsound.ie/connection-greenway-routes-cavan-will-boost-local-community-tourism-sector/

Its not on the map in post 1 and I didnt see anything otherwise on it on the thread, but there's already preliminary work being done for the "Cavan Town to Butlersbridge Railway Greenway"
    The contract for design and planning was tendered for in May, and planning has been granted this week - so it seems to be something that will be getting underway relatively soon.
    https://www.contractfinderpro.com/doc/kPqQN/cavan-county-council/itt-technical-consultancy-services-preliminary
    https://www.northernsound.ie/connection-greenway-routes-cavan-will-boost-local-community-tourism-sector/

Thanks for this, I'll add it to 'Planned', would be great if anyone could get hold of those Part 8 plans...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I see that the ring road around naas through millennium Park is marked as a completed greenway.

Might be a stretch labelling that section as a greenway, it only reflects existing cycle lanes there. yes it has wide off road lanes parallel to road but the entry points at junctions are large stepped kerbs and on the bridge over canal one lane ends, expecting cyclists to cross at peak on a blind spot to continue 30m before crossing back at another blind spot.

Also while the Naas to sallins greenway as a whole is proposed, the section from tandys bridge to Abbey Bridge on west bank of canal (not captured on map) , (Cross the Bridge), Abbey Bridge to harbour on east bank is currently all shared cycle/walk surface with maybe 6 houses with local access.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Grassey wrote: »
    I see that the ring road around naas through millennium Park is marked as a completed greenway.

Might be a stretch labelling that section as a greenway, it only reflects existing cycle lanes there. yes it has wide off road lanes parallel to road but the entry points at junctions are large stepped kerbs and on the bridge over canal one lane ends, expecting cyclists to cross at peak on a blind spot to continue 30m before crossing back at another blind spot..

Would concur with that, observed good chunk of it recently from a car and while it's decently segregated from road and decently wide it has any number of roundabouts to be traversed, which while not the worst I've ever seen don't an urban greenway make!

Grassey wrote: »

Might be a stretch labelling that section as a greenway, it only reflects existing cycle lanes there. yes it has wide off road lanes parallel to road but the entry points at junctions are large stepped kerbs and on the bridge over canal one lane ends, expecting cyclists to cross at peak on a blind spot to continue 30m before crossing back at another blind spot.

Also while the Naas to sallins greenway as a whole is proposed, the section from tandys bridge to Abbey Bridge on west bank of canal (not captured on map) , (Cross the Bridge), Abbey Bridge to harbour on east bank is currently all shared cycle/walk surface with maybe 6 houses with local access.

Problem is the map doesn't really have a section for 'generally not bad but considerable improvement needed to be considered done', I moved it to potential, will probably get some complaints about that also.

Re-Section from Abbey to Tandys Bridge - I've cycled both sides and the west bank is nowhere near adequate width for shared footway.
    We are currently awaiting the Part 8 for the route coming out and KCC are generally good with publishing the drawings on their site, so once that's done the actual planned route will be marked down as planned/in progress.

The whole route is entirely feasible at present for 'almost' all cyclists, but its not the most friendly for anyone who would struggle with rough terrain or broken pavements. And too much pedestrian conflict in the mentioned section.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Waterford Greenway to get a spur to Kilmeaden from the Suir Valley Railway station. Not sure of the point as it's hard to see many people being interested in the village itself, maybe some would use it to cycle out to Dunhill and on to Fenor/Copper Coast.
    Development of Greenway connection to Kilmeaden Village
    CONSULTATION TYPE: SUBMISSIONS / OBSERVATIONS ACCEPTED
    CONSULTATION END DATE: 4pm Monday, 2nd September, 2019
    Waterford City & County Council hereby gives notice of intent to carry out the following development:

Development of Greenway connection to Kilmeaden Village from Kilmeaden
    Railway Station, Co. Waterford

The principle features of the proposed cycling/ walking trail will be:

The development of a 1.8km recreational cycling/walking trail from the existing carpark at Waterford Suir Valley Railway Station in the townland of Newtown to Kilmeaden village in the townland of Ballyduff East

The trail surface of unbound aggregate, approximately 2 metres wide will traverse agricultural grassland and provision is made for access arrangement at a N25 cattle underpass

Where the trail uses existing roadway, a shared roadway arrangement will connect to Kilmeaden village
    Fencing, access gates, drainage and ancillary trail infrastructure will be installed to Sport Ireland Trails Office standards

discussion on Waterford City board here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2057210663&page=43

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Waterford Greenway to get a spur to Kilmeaden from the Suir Valley Railway station. Not sure of the point as it's hard to see many people being interested in the village itself, maybe some would use it to cycle out to Dunhill and on to Fenor/Copper Coast.

discussion on Waterford City board here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2057210663&page=43

The design for this looks terrible to me, a pedestrian detour, pedestrian crossing of the N25 and pedestrian lines painted on the hard shoulder. Looks like a death trap tbh.

Waterford Greenway to get a spur to Kilmeaden from the Suir Valley Railway station. Not sure of the point as it's hard to see many people being interested in the village itself
    To me, this is exactly what Greenway development should be doing - leveraging the existing infrastructure to connect to nearby villages and towns and helping to keep our villages and towns alive.

If you're a tourist doing a cycling tour of Ireland, it would be good to have a spur to a town where you could stop for a coffee, food or a place to stay.

After all the pub that's near the Suir Valley station is not in great nick!

487067.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Oh that is an utter disgrace, about two years ago I went down the road for the first time in some years and was shocked that it was there! That it is still there takes the biscuit. A total piss take by the council who should have been in there with a CPO if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,069 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Is the stretch of canal from Moyvalley to Enfield open yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

flazio wrote: »
    Is the stretch of canal from Moyvalley to Enfield open yet?

I don't think so but you may get a quicker answer here on the cycling forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Why are Mayo Co Co against it when they have several other greenways doing very well?

What sort of clientelle are going to use the velorail - families? Is Kiltimagh the start/end point?

Many in Mayo want rail access to the hospitals & colleges of Galway. Many don't cycle, own cars etc.

Greaney wrote: »
    Many in Mayo want rail access to the hospitals & colleges of Galway. Many don't cycle, own cars etc.
    Many people will want rail access to the hospitals and colleges of Galway until a few hundred million is blown on rail access to Galway, where they will learn that the railway would take significantly longer than driving, and provide no access to the hospital or colleges, and continue to drive leaving a massively subvented unused waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

GoBus operate a Ballina - Castlebar - Claremorris - Tuam - Galway return bus service (5 daily) servicing the hospitals and colleges for €10 each way. There is no way a train service could compete with it.

I can see why retired people would favour a train service when they have free travel but they would still need a bus or taxi to hospitals etc.

https://m.gobus.ie/dp.php?c=ballina&t=new-ballina-to-galway-city-route&id=48

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

GoBus operate a Ballina - Castlebar - Claremorris - Tuam - Galway return bus service (5 daily) servicing the hospitals and colleges for €10 each way. There is no way a train service could compete with it.

I can see why retired people would favour a train service when they have free travel but they would still need a bus or taxi to hospitals etc.

https://m.gobus.ie/dp.php?c=ballina&t=new-ballina-to-galway-city-route&id=48

You many not like the answer I gave as to why so many people in Mayo (and indeed more) want the rail line opened, but they do. The bus doesn't cover everything.

1) Some folk prefer rail travel to bus.
    2) Annual tickets are tax deductible for rail.
    3) You can bring yer bikes for free.
    4) Rail is more Wheelchair accessible.
    Even when one gets the bus, Galway traffic is obscene so it just joins the traffic along with everyone else. The rail re-opened from Limerick is fairly busy. I know the numbers arriving at 9:05 from limerick to Athenry are pretty decent and 70% of them are secondary school children (there's no buses from Craughwel/Ardrahan to Athenry.

Re-opening the rail is not just about getting to Galway. There are more journeys than that. Tuam to Dublin by rail would be quicker than a bus, it would cut an hour off the journey. Some folk don't own a car, they just don't. Furthermore, they're not just going to Galway city (the residents of Ballyglunin, who've been restoring the station for years would like the rail re-opened. That would take care of a huge amount of school go'ers who live miles from a secondary school. Pensioners who can no longer drive.... etc.

I live in Athenry and use that train. I am a cycling advocate but many of us who cycle also use rail a lot. We can take our bikes for free (the buses won't take bikes). After that we can go anywhere in Galway (taxis are very expensive and city buses too few). I pop my 'toolbox' on the back and off I go.

Some time back I was at a meeting regarding developing a greenway from Athenry to Tuam, exploring taking a spur off the Dublin to Galway Velo. We were exploring a long term strategy that was do-able. So make no mistake I want a greenways, but at the expense of rail?? We can do better surely? I have a disabled family member who lives with me now, can no longer drive and the train has been amazing so I'm aware so many cannot drive, it's not a choice, they just can't. And they can't cycle for more than a few miles either...

I'd like people to examine the question on this forum. Why do you want a greenway? Is it for cycling? Travel? or Tourism?

Advertisement