Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenways [greenway map of Ireland in post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Does anyone have a rough idea as to when the Sallins section of the greenway is proposed to be completed...let alone started..?

I believe its scheduled for completion in 2021, might be worth emailing the relevant office in KCC to find out why it hasn't started yet as I am fairly sure there is now no impediment and it has funding.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Tralee-Fenit and the latest phase of the North Kerry/West Limerick greenway are to start tomorrow

https://www.radiokerry.ie/north-kerry-tralee-fenit-greenways-move-step-closer-start-construction/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭serfboard

Grassey wrote: »
    This is a beauty of English-language mangling:
    This is to allow kids from Naas and Sallins access the Naas Community College currently been constructed travel to school along the tow path which will be a car free greenway,
    :confused:

Got a Response to a request I made through a KCC councillor regarding the Sallins to Dublin County Border greenway
    In response to your representation and queries raised on behalf of REDACTED, I wish to advise you as follows;

1. If all the required funding is in place?

Kildare County Council in collaboration with Waterways Ireland have been awarded €1.7 million in funding to complete Phase 1 of the Grand Canal Greenway, which extends from Alymer Bridge (Co. Dublin) to Sallins.

A further funding application will be submitted to complete Phase 2 – Sallins to the Offaly Border once Phase 1 has been delivered.

2. All necessary planning permission in place?

The Greenway has Part 8 Planning Approval from Alymer Bridge through to the Border with Offaly at the 20th Lock

3. Anticipated commencement date for said works?

The Strategic Projects and Public Realm Team are preparing a tender for the Detailed Design of the Greenway section from Alymer Bridge to Ponsonby Bridge (approx. 5km) which will be uploaded to etenders early in 2020, and will be constructed by the end of 2020, the second section Ponsonby Bridge to Sallins (approx. 6 km) will run concurrently and will be complete by end of 2021

4. Anticipated completion date for said works?

The Alymer to Sallins Greenway will be complete by end of 2021.

For a bit of further information, Aylmer Bridge is the bridge at the Celbridge end of Lyons Estate, between there and Hazelhatch Road is unbound fine gravel but a relatively fine cycling surface. Ponsonby Bridge is the Bridge over the canal just south of Straffan. Expecting this section to be completed by the end of 2019 is very reasonable as it is all of decent quality as it stands, primarily being a quiet road surface past Ardclough and then unbound gravel past Lyons Estate, I'd say most of the work here will be surface improvements and signage.

The section from Straffan to Sallins is considerably poorer quality, mostly grassed over towpath with sections of very bumpy hardcore laneway, will need a fair bit more work, coupled with the planned footbridge in Sallins it makes sense this section would take longer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

marno21 wrote: »
    Tralee-Fenit and the latest phase of the North Kerry/West Limerick greenway are to start tomorrow

https://www.radiokerry.ie/north-kerry-tralee-fenit-greenways-move-step-closer-start-construction/

Brendan Griffin now calling for Tralee-Listowel.

Would complete the North Kerry Greenway Network then.

https://www.radiokerry.ie/minister-calls-greenway-connecting-tralee-listowel/

• Registered Users Posts: 68,654 ✭✭✭✭L1011

How does he fund all these challenges?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

L1011 wrote: »
    How does he fund all these challenges?

That's the problem. Its cheap to be an objector.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭serfboard

From the article:
    [the] licences ... removed the need for consent for measures to compensate for loss and disturbance from the project to habitats for these two species.
    How much would the compensation measures cost? Would it not be better just to provide them, and at least we'll get this damn thing built? Otherwise, this could drag on for years, and the State may be forced to provide them anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,654 ✭✭✭✭L1011

easypazz wrote: »
    That's the problem. Its cheap to be an objector.

He has lawyers for this. ABP objections cost a very low amount but this is different

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've seen a couple of comments on twitter in relation to permeability on the grand canal path, in the context of the attacks that have been happening there recently; placed in the context of the tussle over the planned royal canal greenway, and the stretch between castleknock and coolmine stations.
    i.e. if the greenway sits on south side of the canal, it'll be a roughly 2km stretch between access points. i'm sure the good teenager citizens of castleknock are not the sort to gang up on and attacking cyclists, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

i've seen a couple of comments on twitter in relation to permeability on the grand canal path, in the context of the attacks that have been happening there recently; placed in the context of the tussle over the planned royal canal greenway, and the stretch between castleknock and coolmine stations.
    i.e. if the greenway sits on south side of the canal, it'll be a roughly 2km stretch between access points. i'm sure the good teenager citizens of castleknock are not the sort to gang up on and attacking cyclists, though.

Why are you singling out teenagers? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Why are you singling out teenagers? :rolleyes:

The attacks of the last week were teenagers:
    https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-cyclist-attacks-4925837-Dec2019/

That said, I don't think the problem was with long distances between access points - the attacks happened at the access points, not in between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

MJohnston wrote: »
    The attacks of the last week were teenagers:
    https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-cyclist-attacks-4925837-Dec2019/

That said, I don't think the problem was with long distances between access points - the attacks happened at the access points, not in between them.

In a different part of the city.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a) it was intended as a flippant remark.
    b) i said they were *not* the type to attack people.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    In a different part of the city.

I think you might have missed the "not" in the sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Regarding the Athlone new bridge I got this from Boxer Moran TD today.

The project, from the White Gates on the Ballymahon Road, includes the Greenway bridge between the Athlone Marina and the Luan Gallery.

Roughan and O’Donovan/AECOM alliance are doing the work on this

The focus on installing the new greenway surface and public lighting between the White Gates and Athlone Marina will be done first and it is expected to be open by next summer (2020)

Separately, tenders have been sought for a contractor to work on the Greenway project from the west side of Athlone as far as Galway, and it's expected that a contractor will be appointed for this stretch of the project at some stage in the coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

That poddle Greenway is laughably impossible.

• Advertisement

MarkY91 wrote: »
    That poddle Greenway is laughably impossible.

Which Poddle Greenway? On the Map?
    Not a flight of fancy from myself anyway, its in the GDA Cycle Plan

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Overall_Network.pdf Page 6

And a lot of it already passes through public parks, there are definitely sections where it likely will divert away from the river, and it would probably want to be a high quality protected cycleway from the canal up the Kimmage Road rather than trying to follow the river there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Regarding the Athlone new bridge I got this from Boxer Moran TD today.

The project, from the White Gates on the Ballymahon Road, includes the Greenway bridge between the Athlone Marina and the Luan Gallery.

Roughan and O’Donovan/AECOM alliance are doing the work on this

The focus on installing the new greenway surface and public lighting between the White Gates and Athlone Marina will be done first and it is expected to be open by next summer (2020)

Separately, tenders have been sought for a contractor to work on the Greenway project from the west side of Athlone as far as Galway, and it's expected that a contractor will be appointed for this stretch of the project at some stage in the coming months.

Thanks - I was in Athlone at the weekend and passed the white gates wondering how there was still no surface down given the huge work done with the underpass etc as far back as Easter. Progress since seems very slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Thanks - I was in Athlone at the weekend and passed the white gates wondering how there was still no surface down given the huge work done with the underpass etc as far back as Easter. Progress since seems very slow.

I guess where the new Shannon bridge is tacked on, it would take the bit longer. Otherwise yeah i agree the timeline has been borderline pisstake for 500m distance. We have to remember that the route to Marina also needs designing.

Listowel-Abbeyfeale and Tralee-Fenit greenways to be open for summer 2021.

https://www.radiokerry.ie/two-kerry-greenway-projects-expected-built-summer-2021/

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭blueballfc

In Ballycommon today and looks like they are progressing the Offaly side of the Kilbeggan branch, great to see

Work has started on the Midleton to Youghal Greenway:

https://irishcycle.com/2020/01/07/works-starts-on-midleton-to-youghal-greenway/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

MJohnston wrote: »
    Work has started on the Midleton to Youghal Greenway:

https://irishcycle.com/2020/01/07/works-starts-on-midleton-to-youghal-greenway/

Still have mixed feelings about that one. Needs to eventually reopen as a railway, which can't happen on this route now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,842 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

spacetweek wrote: »
    Still have mixed feelings about that one. Needs to eventually reopen as a railway, which can't happen on this route now.

Why does it "need" to be reopened as a railway eventually? Youghal is not that big a town that it could justify spending a couple of hundred million on a rail line. Even if it reopened as a railway, the station would be the wrong side of the town for most of the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Youghal is a small town with a small commuter population. It would be crazy to plough hundreds of millions into a white elephant railway there. There is no reasonable population centres between Midleton and Youghal either on the line. The only population centres it passes through are Mogeely, a one horse village and Killeagh, a very small village.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Youghal is a small town with a small commuter population. It would be crazy to plough hundreds of millions into a white elephant railway there. There is no reasonable population centres between Midleton and Youghal either on the line. The only population centres it passes through are Mogeely, a one horse village and Killeagh, a very small village.

That's right and of course it would only be for the people of Youghal - no question of people from outside the town wishing to travel there. :rolleyes:

Advertisement