Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Greenways [greenway map of Ireland in post 1]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Link section from Grand Canal to Lough Boora is open now

https://twitter.com/numtotnerd/status/1386329015045304326?s=1002

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

Just looking at the Greenway map in the OP, does anyone know if there’s more info available on these three routes:

Grange Road Cycleway, from Donaghmede to Baldoyle, planned/in progress according to the map. I think there were surveyors out recently on the road, is there any detail known about it?

Howth Road Cycleway, from Sutton Cross to Howth Harbour, same question. The road is wide, especially from Offington onwards to Howth. and this will be an easy win when done. On the northern side of the road especially as there are hardly any driveways or junctions to worry about.

Sutton to Howth Summit, along Burrow Road/Claremont Road and then up the old tram line. This is only proposed according to the map, again any more on it?

Googling throws up a few things here and there, but I’m wondering if there’s any more detailed info I might have missed that maybe was up on etenders or similar at some stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MilfordBud

Tender for new signs for the Limerick Greenway.

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/187561/0/0?returnUrl=ctm/Supplier/publictenders&b=ETENDERS_SIMPLE

"The Limerick Greenway is being upgraded and is due to be launched for Summer 2021. A signage design has been completed for information, access, discovery and directional signage which is to be in place before opening."

Conchir wrote: »
    Just looking at the Greenway map in the OP, does anyone know if there’s more info available on these three routes:

Grange Road Cycleway, from Donaghmede to Baldoyle, planned/in progress according to the map. I think there were surveyors out recently on the road, is there any detail known about it?

Howth Road Cycleway, from Sutton Cross to Howth Harbour, same question. The road is wide, especially from Offington onwards to Howth. and this will be an easy win when done. On the northern side of the road especially as there are hardly any driveways or junctions to worry about.

Sutton to Howth Summit, along Burrow Road/Claremont Road and then up the old tram line. This is only proposed according to the map, again any more on it?

Googling throws up a few things here and there, but I’m wondering if there’s any more detailed info I might have missed that maybe was up on etenders or similar at some stage?

I can no longer find any information on them... usually I put links to the documentation alongside the route if I can. I may have confused the Grange road with one in South Dublin that got a cycleway. There appears to be funding for 'light segregation' on the Donaghmede to Baldoyle one. I dropped it back to 'potential'.

The Sutton to Howth Summit route is part of the GDA Cycle Plan from 2013 (I do NOT have all of these routes on the map for Dublin city) and marked as a greenway from Sutton to Howth.

I can no longer find any information on them... usually I put links to the documentation alongside the route if I can. I may have confused the Grange road with one in South Dublin that got a cycleway. There appears to be funding for 'light segregation' on the Donaghmede to Baldoyle one. I dropped it back to 'potential'.

The Sutton to Howth Summit route is part of the GDA Cycle Plan from 2013 (I do NOT have all of these routes on the map for Dublin city) and marked as a greenway from Sutton to Howth.

Yes any googling throws up the southside Grange Road.

Damn, I was hoping for something more concrete. Hopefully soon we get something encouraging. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Curiouser and curiouser!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭JohnC.

https://www.thejournal.ie/cork-garda-planning-objection-5429059-May2021/

The Gardai have identified who sent it. It's a sergeant from a station over 10km from Cork City. Their inquiries are ongoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,721 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Lee to Sea are pointing to a footpath, for you know, pedestrians. Pedestrians only, the clue is in the name.

• Advertisement

Lee to Sea are pointing to a footpath, for you know, pedestrians. Pedestrians only, the clue is in the name.

Yeah and highlighting all the cars that seem to have colonised the pedestrian space, for pedestrians

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I assume it's a speed reducing method !!

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Oh ffs.
    F**k chicanes that completely block bikes with a trailer, what are they doing to straighten the extremely steep ramps (3 of them) that I had to dismount for?

Final urban section of the Royal Canal greenway: consultation launched

https://consult.fingal.ie/en/consultation/royal-canal-urban-greenway

With thanks to Philx

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Final urban section of the Royal Canal greenway: consultation launched

https://consult.fingal.ie/en/consult...urban-greenway

With thanks to Philx

And here's the actual working link:

https://consult.fingal.ie/en/consultation/royal-canal-urban-greenway

:D

The Waterford to New Ross Greenway gets some good news...

https://twitter.com/GreenwayNewRoss/status/1399747136510648324

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭serfboard

The Waterford to New Ross Greenway gets some good news...
    Does anyone know if there are plans to put a pedestrian/cycle bridge in Waterford, which would allow a journey from New Ross to Dungarvan?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭blackwhite

serfboard wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there are plans to put a pedestrian/cycle bridge in Waterford, which would allow a journey from New Ross to Dungarvan?

There's one mooted as part of the Waterford North Quays project, but god only knows when that will actually happen.

Until then, it's across the Rice bridge only

EDIT:

Just to add, neither Greenway will actually run as far as Rice Bridge either when the new greenway is opened.

The new South East Greenway is going to terminate at the junction with the old Waterford-Wexford line (which remains open for rail freight from Waterford to Belview Port), and the Deise Greenway terminates in Billberry. There's approx 3km of a cycle on roads between the two.

https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/Deise+Greenway+Bilberry+Car+Park,+Bilberry,+Waterford/52.2637286,-7.1015269/@52.266919,-7.128355,2830m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m9!4m8!1m5!1m1!1s0x4842c434e72e9865:0xb0c0494f58ba7aad!2m2!1d-7.1376759!2d52.2699887!1m0!3e1

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Dexpat

blackwhite wrote: »
    There's one mooted as part of the Waterford North Quays project, but god only knows when that will actually happen.

Until then, it's across the Rice bridge only

EDIT:

Just to add, neither Greenway will actually run as far as Rice Bridge either when the new greenway is opened.

The new South East Greenway is going to terminate at the junction with the old Waterford-Wexford line (which remains open for rail freight from Waterford to Belview Port), and the Deise Greenway terminates in Billberry. There's approx 3km of a cycle on roads between the two.

https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/Deise+Greenway+Bilberry+Car+Park,+Bilberry,+Waterford/52.2637286,-7.1015269/@52.266919,-7.128355,2830m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m9!4m8!1m5!1m1!1s0x4842c434e72e9865:0xb0c0494f58ba7aad!2m2!1d-7.1376759!2d52.2699887!1m0!3e1

The current Waterford greenway has funding in place for an extension from Bilberry up along the Quays in Waterford to the clock tower. It is due to start soon. This will then join with the new bridge at the clock tower in Waterford and link in with the New Ross Greenway.

The pedestrian bridge in Waterford is funded and is close to going for tender and is independent of any development for the North Quays. Both greenways will be completely linked sooner than indicated and there won't be a need to cross Rice bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,721 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Lay off the shrooms, what a bizarre article.
    Posed pic seems to suggest that the south Kerry is open.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/farming/arid-40311212.html

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Dexpat wrote: »
    The current Waterford greenway has funding in place for an extension from Bilberry up along the Quays in Waterford to the clock tower. It is due to start soon. This will then join with the new bridge at the clock tower in Waterford and link in with the New Ross Greenway.

The pedestrian bridge in Waterford is funded and is close to going for tender and is independent of any development for the North Quays. Both greenways will be completely linked sooner than indicated and there won't be a need to cross Rice bridge.

Thats good to hear.
    Is the proposed plan for the pedestrian bridge available to view online?
    Is it to be some form of opening bridge, to maintain access for larger vessels up to Rice Bridge?

I think that plan should include public recreational use of the North Quay site.
    The location should be developed as the main hub of the South East Greenways and Blueways.
    They should ensure 15-20 metre wide, for full length of the quay side is kept as public access, for public use as riverside walk, cycle path, open space. This would also allow for recreational use of the river to be developed, with marina and slipway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,701 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

coastwatch wrote: »
    Thats good to hear.
    Is the proposed plan for the pedestrian bridge available to view online?
    Is it to be some form of opening bridge, to maintain access for larger vessels up to Rice Bridge?

I think that plan should include public recreational use of the North Quay site.
    The location should be developed as the main hub of the South East Greenways and Blueways.
    They should ensure 15-20 metre wide, for full length of the quay side is kept as public access, for public use as riverside walk, cycle path, open space. This would also allow for recreational use of the river to be developed, with marina and slipway.

River Suir Sustainable Transport Bridge, drawings are in the EIAR Volume 3 - Figures link;

https://www.waterfordcouncil.ie/projects/public-consultations/expired/2019/sustainable-transport-bridge.htm

Bilberry to Waterford City Centre Greenway Link plans here;

https://www.waterfordcouncil.ie/projects/public-consultations/expired/2019/bilberry-city-greenway-link.htm

Definitely needs to be a high quality public space on the North Quays, could be fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭trellheim

I see about 3 or 4 different web articles about the North Kerry/Limerick Greenways - is there something recent happening - is there a map of whats happening or when it will be opened ?

trellheim wrote: »
    I see about 3 or 4 different web articles about the North Kerry/Limerick Greenways - is there something recent happening - is there a map of whats happening or when it will be opened ?

http://docstore.kerrycoco.ie/KCCWebsite/part8/nkerry/orthos.pdf Maps of the route in detail here on the Part 8.

I don't know when it will be opening, I would presume some of the noise around the area will be about the recent upgrading of the original section of the Great Southern Trail from Rathkeale to the county border, which should have been completed?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Apologies if this is the wrong thread but I do feel this is the most knowledgeable place to ask.

My friends and I want to do a cycle trip from Dublin to Galway over 3 days in early September.
    • Dublin - Mullingar
    • Mullingar-Athlone
    • Athlone-Galway

Looking at the map in the OP, it seems in terms of Greenways, we'll have relatively no issues as far as Athlone.

Is it correct to say that there is currently nothing in place between Athlone & Galway?

• 1huge1 wrote: »
    Is it correct to say that there is currently nothing in place between Athlone & Galway?

That is correct

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

trellheim wrote: »

Rathkeale to Newcastlewest is already open.
    From July 1st the rest will be open as far as Abbeyfeale (the 3km section beyond Abbeyfeale to the Kerry border will be closed til the end of August). That will complete the Limerick Greenway.

The North Kerry Greenway runs from Abbeyfeale to Listowel and is currently under construction.

That is from the 'Limerick Greenway' Facebook page. You can also check out the website https://www.limerick.ie/limerick-greenway

Scroll down and click on 'Limerick Greenway Sections' and it will give you the stages and distances.
    Going west it starts from Rathkeale - Ardagh - NCW - Barnagh - Templeglantine - Abbeyfeale

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭nilhg

https://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/AllServices/Planning/PublicRealm/BarrowBlueway/Barrow%20Blueway%20Progress%20report%2023062021.pdf

Strange that it describes the last section north of Glenaree as complete when it's still to be tarmacked, just a surface of rough 804 there now.

Also no mention of Miltown Bridge into Athy, which would connect up the biggest town on the Blueway to the completed bits.

• Advertisement

Fingal County Council did a podcast recently with one of their senior engineers talking about their greenway projects: [url]

No new information in particular, though he did mention that the Sutton to Malahide greenway would go out for consultation this year, so that’s good to hear. In general, it sounds like Fingal have the right ideas with greenways, so that’s encouraging.

Advertisement