Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenways [greenway map of Ireland in post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Any idea when the Athlone bridge is due for completion? I could have sworn there was word of this summer mooted but can't find the matching article. Wishful thinking I guess

Due for completion mid-2022 according to the project website, so I'm guessing that will be Q1 2023. There are works going on there at the moment, site prep etc, and the actual installation will be quick as it'll be fabricated off-site, but who knows if it will open on time.

A similar project in Galway at the Salmon weir has already been pushed back 9 months from timelines only announced 3 months ago, was supposed to open Q3 2022, now pushed back to Q2 2023

The public consultation is now open for the Galway to Oughterard greenway. This forms part of the Galway to Clifden greenway.

The project website is below, go there and hit the "Public Consultation" link to give your input and review the documentation

The scope of the area under the project is below

For reference, this is the old Clifden railway route

To the west of the N59 would be a balls of a route as its quite hilly for a recreational route so I'm hoping the use as much of the old railway as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,069 ✭✭✭✭flazio

There's actually a section done near Ballynahinch castle. It's about 5k long

: https://strava.app.link/SfRbV3ut1nb

• Registered Users Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

In fairness, the Athlone bridge was due for completion mid-2022 if it started mid-21. It started beginning 22 so will be complete early 23. Not sure the reason for the delay in starting but the finish date was always going to be relative to the start date. I assume its the same for the Salmon Weir bridge, if they don't get the contractor appointed on time, everything shifts out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Good to read some more progress being made/resumed.

A number of infrastructure projects that had been paused have resumed. The following projects have resumed;

Dodder Greenway: The NTA Cycling Design Office (CDO) commenced work on Habitat and Environmental Screening Reports, with final reports to be issued by end of Q4. The CDO progressed design development of options for Milltown Road and Beaver Row. An updated options assessment for these two zones is in progress. The CDO has undertaken traffic modelling for route options on Beaver Row; the assessment has been incorporated into the options assessment process. Structural visual assessments of the existing bridges along the route have been completed. The emerging preferred option will be identified by end March 2022. It is planned to brief DCC and DLRCC nominated Elected Representatives in Q2 followed by a briefing to the Steering Committee.

Grand Canal Greenway (Blackhorse to Portobello): A review of current proposals in the context of new projects that have come on stream, such as Busconnects has been prepared. A review of the architectural and industrial heritage and ecology for the route was commenced in January 2022 and is in progress. Dublin City Council will be reviewing this report over the next month. The tenders for the safety improvements to the on road cycling facilities along the Grand Canal were received during the month .A contract for additional site investigations has been awarded.

Schemes with Statutory Planning Approval

Royal Canal Greenway

The Royal Canal Greenway is being delivered in four phases.

Phase 1: Implemented.

Phase 2: The additional planting is complete.

Phase 3: The contractor selection process is being finalized, in conjunction with seeking the necessary approvals to proceed to construction. Work has been undertaken to facilitate approval of the scheme to proceed to construction.

Phase 4: The amending Part 8 for the scheme was lodged during September. The scheme will be put back on public display in February 2022. This is in order to provide the necessary clarifications to the general public on the items raised during the public consultation process. The clarifications relate to the preservation of ecology and the habitat and the conservation of industrial heritage.

Dodder Greenway (Herbert Park to Donnybrook)

A preferred tender has been selected and it is hoped that the final Legal agreements will be shortly finalised, allowing the project to proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Also the extension of the greenway from the Dodder along Avonbeg to Sean Walsh Park is progressing away in Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭FinnC

Didnt know this was happening. Just thinking there when complete you could have a great loop from somewhere like Lucan down the Grand Canal to Grand Canal Dock and back then on the Dodder Greenway at Sir John Rogersons Quay to Tallaght. There is already a cycle path from Tallaght to Lucan.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

Public consultation on the preferred route for the Sutton to Malahide Greenway is now live on the Fingal website. Glanced over the plans and they look mostly good to me, few bits could change.

The tie in with the northern end of the Baldoyle-Portmarnock Greenway is a bit of a diversion. I could see experienced cyclists skipping it and continuing through the roundabout.

I like that it goes on the seaside of the Church in Baldoyle, once it’s done well and lit at night. With the cafe to go in there that could be a really nice spot on sunny days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Link to the Sutton - Malahide Greenway is here: https://www.fingal.ie/suttontomalahide

Will be interesting to see if this goes the way of Sandymount and how quickly they can get this to join up with the Malahide - Donabate bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

Does anyone have more info or links to the Royal Canal Greenway? Specifically looking for info on the Dublin city centre section. Wish they would upgrade the section around Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

Cycled the Croker stretch today coming from Strand Rd to Annessly Bridge then up to Ballybough and up the canal via the stadium to Cross guns. The Ballybough route is a mess as are the dilapidated locks in the canal itself . The GAA should tidy up the canal area themselves rather than "waiting for godot" be it the corpo or waterways ireland or whatever other govt quango is in the way.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Anyone know if it's possible to cycle the Grand Canal from Sallins to Park West?

I think they are working on the Hazelhatch to 12th lock at Lucan part at the moment so I dunno if it’s passable for now?

Ah right. But normally it would be? I am moving out towards Sallins so just want to know if cycling into Dublin along the canal is normally an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Cycling along the canal is normally an option. The first 4 Km from Sallins is grass, which had a couple of sticky spots in wet weather but is fine in the dry. The rest is fine. All surfaced in some way or another.

Some security issues at certain times of the day as you hit Clondalkin/Park West/Black Lion. Not sure if they've been resolved or not.

Hard to pass the pub in Hazelhatch on a warm summers evening. Always a good spot for a pint.

Yeah should be. They are putting in a path along the canal from Sallins all the way to Lucan as far as I’m aware. You say you’re going to City West? You’re best bet then would be to come off the Canal at Grange Castle and take the road out to Kingswood that goes over the N7. There is an off road cycle path all the way to the CityWest from GrangeCastle

Post edited by FinnC on

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I think it will depend on the kind of bike you have.

The surface from Sallins to Ponsonby Bridge isn't great for a road bike but should be ok on a hybrid or mountain bike except maybe after a really wet period. From Hazelhatch to Lucan (along the north bank) again isn't great for a road bike but this should be upgraded soon (in 2022 to my knowledge).

If you are on a road bike and of confident and moderate ability, you might find it quicker to stick to the roads (Sallins (via Naas Golf Club) > Johnstown > Kill > Oldmill > Rathcoole > Saggart > Citywest)...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭nilhg

• Advertisement

Thanks all. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭serfboard

As far as Transport infrastructure is concerned, Sallins must be the best-served town in the whole country. Whether you prefer road, rail, bike, walking or canal barge, Sallins has you covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

A big part of why I love living there! 😁

As others have said, Sallins to Ardclough will be surfaced this year, and AFAIK the SDCC section Lucan to Hazelhatch will be also.

With current conditions I've done Sallins to South Circular Road in 1hr 15mins, once its all good surface I'd expect that distance to be around an hour cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭veryangryman

So After the Athlone bridge and cycleway takes one to the castle, where would it go then as we continue towards Galway? Bit of a dead end atm

Thats still TBD at the moment and is under the scope of the design team

More details below

This is the indicative route at the moment

The bit after the castle looks something like this

The Athlone bridge will start next month and must be completed before 30th Sept due to no work being permitted during Salmon spawning season

• Registered Users Posts: 16,167 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The north and south Kerry greenways are to be marketed under one umbrella brand called the Kingdom of Kerry greenways.

What an awful clunky 'brand name'.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,728 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Pretty stupid when one of them is barely in Kerry at all. The Listowel Greenway is really an extension of the West Limerick one so even referring to it as the Listowel-Abbeyfeale Greenway in the article is really selling it short.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,069 ✭✭✭✭flazio

What's in a name anyway? I've heard worse. Make sure when you are heading back East to pop into the Offaly, Moneygall, Barack Obama Plaza

Advertisement