Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extremely basic question re: annotations

Options
  • 16-08-2011 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭

I want to annotate some drawings, just add a few bits of text to indicate different features. Would anyone be able to explain how to set the default styles so that the text is an appropriate size for the drawing? If I choose multi-line text, the font is microscopic and if I choose single line, it's way too big. I've tried going into "manage text styles" but I'm not getting much joy there. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Easiest way is to write a piece of text using mtext.

Scale that piece of text up to a size that suits.

Copy that text to use elsewhere on the drawing

Edit copied text to whatever you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Supertech

What version of CAD are you using - the managers may be different depending on this.

Solution above works fine, but won't set your defaults.

If using LT, go to Format and then Text Style in the drop down menus at the top of the screen.

Select 'New'

Give the style a name and pick a font style from the menu - Romans or Arial are fairly standard.

Your text should print at around 2mm high on the drawing, so take the scale of the drawing and multiply this '2' by the scale (so 1:100 text size = 200, 1:500 text size = 1000, 1:20 text size = 40 and so on) so allocate a size to your text based on the scale of the drawing you intend to use.

If you want the text smaller or larger than 2mm on the drawing when you print it, then alter accordingly.

This is based on the assumption that you are drawing in millimetres with your text located in Model space and printing to scale.

You could also choose to annotate your drawing in Paper Space, and then you should set the size of the text to the actual size you want it to print at on the drawing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Thanks for the tips. I was using Civil3D 2010 but it just seemed to be acting really weirdly even when in 2D mode. I've gone back to straight ACAD 2010 and it seems more straightforward.

Advertisement