Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you pronounce the "0" in phone numbers as "owe" or "zero"?

• 16-08-2011 7:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭

Does anybody in the country say "zero" when calling out a phone number with the number "0"?

Everybody I hear says "owe" , as in "owe eight seven...". Now, I would still be saying "owe" but for one of those really annoying machines which didn't recognise the number when I spoke out the number '0' as 'owe'. It finally dawned on me, after effin' and blindin' the individual who created the voice recognition in question, that 'owe' is correctly pronounced as 'zero'. :o

So, is the number '0' still pronounced the same as the letter 'o' when you call out a telephone number?

Yeah, this distinction is probably one of those things which only somebody with too much free time on his/her hands would have noticed! :D

Do you pronounce the "0" in phone numbers as "owe" or "zero"? 84 votes

"Owe" (as in the letter)
    0%
    "Zero" (as in the number/figure)
    100%
    SpearCreaturegeniepickarooney445279.ieSpudmonkeyCool Mo DCorkManjamiehpy2006bikoParsleydemanollaettaGLaDOSdave1982PaparazzoRented Mulephasersdsmythy 84 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Dionysus wrote: »
    Does anybody in the country say "zero" when calling out a phone number with the number "0"?

Everybody I hear says "owe" , as in "owe eight seven...". Now, I would still be saying "owe" but for one of those really annoying machines which didn't recognise the number when I spoke out the number '0' as 'owe'. It finally dawned on me, after effin' and blindin' the individual who created the voice recognition in question, that 'owe' is correctly pronounced as 'zero'. :o

So, is the number '0' still pronounced the same as the letter 'o' when you call out a telephone number?

Yeah, this distinction is probably one of those things which only somebody with too much free time on his/her hands would have noticed! :D

yeah i've noticed it too :cool:

i consciously try to force myself to say zero instead of O. but it doesn't work much. wonder when it started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Anyone that says 'Zero 8 7' sounds like a douche.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Yellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

Generic sarcastic comment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Unless it's an obvious 087/086 type scenario - then 'owe' is acceptable, but to define your numbers clearly it's better to say 'zero', and while you're there, please make an audible T on the end of 8 please, thx, bai.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

I say owe for the first one eg. 085 but zero from there on out never realised it until now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I say zero when asked for my number

Zero-Eight-...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

So you'd pronounce the year 1907 as "nineteen zero seven"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I always say naught :confused:

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,573 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Where's the naught option?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

mackg wrote: »
    I say owe for the first one eg. 085 but zero from there on out never realised it until now.
    I do the reverse - zero for 086, then owe in the 'body' of the number!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,690 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

ColeTrain wrote: »

Anyone that uses the word douche...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

ColeTrain wrote: »

hehe. That's the spirit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

Owe eight seven.....

phasers wrote: »
    So you'd pronounce the year 1907 as "nineteen zero seven"?
    If it was a telephone number? No, I'd say one nine zero seven.

If you want to say nineteen oh seven and risk someone hearing it as 9007, that's a fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

its pretty simple OP, whoever entered the voice for your message americanised it, americans say zero, pants, and some call themselves zach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I say it like

Ewe, ate, sevahnnn

put your mixture in the Aveann (oven)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Gordon wrote: »
    If you want to say nineteen oh seven and risk someone hearing it as 9007, that's a fail.

If you can't say those things properly and make them each sound different to another person then I think the fail would be on your head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

My old number was 086190... I used say owe 8619zero... number now is 087 and now pronounce it as zero throughout it. Depends if there a beat to it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Anyone that uses the word douche...

[d4 accent]ZERO EIGHT SEVEN[/d4 accent]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Gordon wrote: »
    If it was a telephone number? No, I'd say one nine zero seven.

I dunno, whenever you have to ring the Meteor/o2 customer care lines the staff pronounce the numbers "one nine oh five" and they are the professionals after all.

I think the fact that people say "oh" instead of "zero" in relation to years makes people just naturally say it all the time OP.

phasers wrote: »
    I dunno, whenever you have to ring the Meteor/o2 customer care lines the staff pronounce the numbers "one nine oh five" and they are the professionals after all.

I think the fact that people say "oh" instead of "zero" in relation to years makes people just naturally say it all the time OP.
    You'll find that some advisors in Meteor and O2 say 'oh' and some say 'zero', the professionals differ, there is no consistency, so it'd be great to get some :)

I think saying 'oh' in years is usually grand as you've got some perspective from the discussion you're having, and you're limited greatly by different options. You couldn't, for example, have a year 9007 when talking about someone's birthday, but you could have this on a phone number. And that's what we're talking about on this thread - phone numbers, not years, so I'm not sure why you're bringing that up :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Wolflikeme

Zero...because it's not a letter!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

"Owe" just sounds right at the start of a number, "zero" 87 just doesn't hit the ear right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

"Naught" sounds stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I say "owe" usually. If I want to make absolutely certain that someone understands me or if I'm talking to a foreigner who might not say "owe" in their country I say "nought". I've never said "zero".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

I always say naught :confused:
    Naught-eight-seven?!

I always say it like I'm surprised I have to give my number, and then pretend i meant to do it.

"Oh!?... Eight, five..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I use "owe" for area codes like 01 and 087 and zero for everything after that. When i'm reading out a wireless security key or similar I always say "owe" :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

When I worked in a job that required a fair amount of communication via telephone I'd always say "zero." When calling out phone numbers it's pretty easy to infer thant somoene's referring to a digit whatever option is chosen, but there were times I'd be dealing with alphanumeric strings where disambiguation might be needed. It was just a good habit to use zero in all instances.

In day-to-day speak, I reckon I'd usually say "owe."

Advertisement