Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax forms - W-8BEN

• 16-08-2011 7:31pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm a J1 student in the US at the moment. The bank have sent me a W-8BEN form to be filled out to certify my Non Resident Alien status. But I don't think I'm to fill it out. My visa sponsor wasn't really sure either, they just said yeah fill it out.

Pulled this from a site:
    Form W-8BEN is used to:
    Establish that you are not a U.S. person
    Claim that you are the beneficial owner of the income for which Form W-8BEN is being submitted
    Claim a reduced, or zero, withholding as a resident of a foreign country with which the United States has an income tax treaty.
    In addition it can be used to claim exception from domestic information reporting and backup withholding for income that is not subject to foreign-person withholding. Income included in this definition:
    Broker proceeds
    Original issue discount (OID) of less than 183 days
    Interest on bank deposits
    Interest, dividends, rents, and royalties from a foreign source
    Gambling gains by a nonresident alien individual. Restricted to the games of blackjack, baccarat, craps, roulette, and big-6 wheel

And from Wikipedia:
    he form is not used for U.S. wages and salaries earned by non-resident aliens (in which case Form W-4 is used),

I have already filled out my W4.

Going to ask the bank now, but any input here would be great. I find they have a tendency to over complicate things!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Is this for your bank account? Or your paychecks? It seems the W-8BEN is used for:
    If you receive certain types of income, you must provide Form W-8BEN to:
    • Establish that you are not a U.S. person

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Thanks., it's for my bank account!

Yeah the bit you quoted there made sense to me, but then it goes on to say about profit from dividends/rents etc. Anyway the bank said just to do it! I was just wary because none of my other J1 pals seemed to know what I was on about!

Leaving in two weeks so want everything sorted so there's no to-ing and fro-ing from Ireland!

Cheers again, always a brilliant and timely response in this forum :)

Advertisement