Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long after a tattoo can you go back to training?

Options
  • 16-08-2011 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭

How long after a tattoo can you go back to training? Want to get one done on my forearm so holding the thai pads and rolling in a gi will have an effect if Im back training too soon.

Any advice?

Thanks,

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

As soon as the tattoo heals fully. That being the scab has come and gone and the tattoo is in what is known as silver skin phase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

This may not be what you want to hear, but as long as it takes. A tattoo is a wound like any other and just as prone to infection. Give it about 4 to 6 weeks. If you think it has healed more quickly or slowly than that, do what you want. Just be careful.

You might be able to get a better response in the Tattoos & Piercings forum here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

OP I've moved you over to the lads in the tattoo forum, they really are the best for this type of advice.

I was given great advice from Ray (MMA fighter) and the guys here after my last tattoo, and I was approaching a competition at the time too.

Tattoo Forum guys, I know you can help the lad out - thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Dangerdunf

The same as the posters above said. Wait until its fully healed. I was back weight lifting a week after mine was done but with mma your better off to wait due to the contact in the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭youllneverknow

It will be itchy for the first week or two, then it goes scabby. it doesn't go like a normal scab it looks more like its peeling. When this heals you can train. I was out for 3-5weeks after my finale sitting and it depends on your genetics. you might heal faster then me or slower which will keep you off longer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

It will be itchy for the first week or two, then it goes scabby. it doesn't go like a normal scab it looks more like its peeling. When this heals you can train. I was out for 3-5weeks after my finale sitting and it depends on your genetics. you might heal faster then me or slower which will keep you off longer.
    It depends on various things, mainly how fast you heal and what you're using, i generally use bepanthem, the nappy rash cream, using that minimum 3 times a day then usually 10-14 days

• Registered Users Posts: 22 scotty22

got a sleeve done..got the outline done 1 day then a few weeks later got it coloured in and on first occassions i went back training the next day r and the other i went back 3 days later...it was a bit tender but not bad...a tattoo shouldnt scab it should dry up and be a bit flakey if ur using the right cream...i do muay thai

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

It depends on various things, mainly how fast you heal and what you're using, i generally use bepanthem, the nappy rash cream, using that minimum 3 times a day then usually 10-14 days

+1 for Bepanthen it's much better than Savlon cream and eases the itching.

It also depends on the size and detail of your art work as to how long it takes to heal. Search out Tattoo Heroes Dublin on Facebook for more info, Pat there does large detailed art work and he answers any questions you may have.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Since the OP mentions rolling in a gi (you're a BJJ practitioner presumably) and hitting pads (Muay thai, I take it), I would say the following-

Most clubs enforce rules about hygiene and wash the mats down regularly, but I would strongly recommend that for the first couple of weeks you avoid BJJ while you're healing a tattoo. Despite everyone's efforts to the contrary mats can be pretty gnarly at the best of times due to sheer volume of sweaty people on them (yes, I know I'm painting a not very appetising picture of BJJ classes, but they're fine... Unless you've got a fresh open wound). There's also the risk that someone will accidentally or unknowningly reef a cotton or canvas gi over your new tattoo, which could be painful and damaging if it's super fresh.

I generally wait about 2 weeks after I have more work done before I get back on the mats, but your mileage will vary depending on the size of the piece, your aftercare and the rate at which you personally heal.

When it comes to hitting pads or doing stand-up I think you've got a bit more leeway. Just holding pads and hitting pads you could probably get back at far quicker, depending on where the tattoo is. If it's somewhere that's not getting hit or isn't grabbed when you guys are clinching I would go back once the tattoo is no longer the 'open wound' that it is in the immediate aftermath of having it done.

In the immediate aftermath of getting a tattoo I tend to do strength work, where I know I can control what is occurring as far as the tattoo goes. If it's on your back you can pretty much do most things barring stuff on the ground. If it's on your arms then maybe squat to avoid aggravating the area. Easy enough to figure out what will work.

As far as aftercare in general goes I also vote for Bepanthen, although the truth is that more and more I'm coming around to the idea that 'less is more'. If you keep your tattoo clean, moisturise it lightly and don't **** about with it then the chances are it will heal fine. Sometimes people become obsessed with fiddling and applying ointments and products to their tattoo. Too much product can block the pores and be counterproductive. I think sometimes the product and the applying of it can also just end up being a vehicle for transmitting infection. I would also agree with the above posters who said that whilst some drying out and perhaps peeling is inevitable you shouldn't necessarily be seeing hard scabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

Thanks for the advice lads. Interestingly 2 tattoo artist walked into the club this morning they said 2 weeks once I take care of it.

Whats the story with washing it. If I hit a bag for awhile and get sweaty how would i keep it clean?

Have work exams coming up so will be taking 2 weeks off next so might be a good time to get it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Well, I can only tell you what I do, but : I'd lay off any type of workout that's going to leave you covered in sweat for the first few days, basically- when the tattoo is still raw and a little open. Do something like max effort strength work instead (or just take a few days rest!).

Once you're towards the end of the first week it would probably be ok to go back at that kind of thing.

When you're cleaning up after whatever training you're doing just use some anti-microbial soap and gently wash it with warm water.

Thanks for all your help guys I got it done yesterday in reinkarnated and Im very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Nice one. :) Happy healing, and if you feel like it, bang a pic up into the "Show you mine" thread!

cheers lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 alvinphee42

Give it a week or so and you are good to go!

Your Belfast lad, Alvin Phee.

Advertisement