Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety stirrups

Options
  • 16-08-2011 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭

I'm in the market for a new pair of safety stirrups. For the last number of years, I've been using a pair of the peacock stirrups (the ones with the rubber on one side), but this time was thinking of buying a pair of 'S' stirrups, as they look a little more sturdy and less likely to stretch/bend over the years [my current stirrups have bent over the years from all the use they've received!).

So I just had a few questions for anyone who has experience of using safety stirrups:

Which ones do you prefer, and why?

When measuring the correct size of the sitrrup, does there need to be the same space on either side of the rider's boot as with non-safety stirrups (1cm if I remember correctly?).

How long do the different types of stirrup last, roughly?

Anything else I should bear in mind?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Kens

I have the 'S' stirrups for almost 20 years no obvious signs of wear I chose them over the peacock ones I didnt really trust them with the bit of metal missing (all in my head) Size wise I wish I had gone for slightly more than the 1cm on either side especially in my chunkier winter boots If I was getting new ones I'd have a look at the sprenger flexi stirrups too :0)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭twomeys

Hi Convert,

Now Im going to address your post point for point if thats ok?

1) You are are correct in thinking the "S" Stirrups or what most of the suppliers call them bendies are more sturdy. As you can appreciate the standard Peacock safety stirrup is not a complete construction and although we have never seen one go "out of shape" im sure its very possible depending on the quality or brand. I will upload two pictures to show people the difference in case they havent seen them.

2) When measuring you are on the button. Allow 1cm on either side of your boot. And if possible when purchasing stirrups bring the boot that you use to ride in, into the shop. As you can appreciate if you go into the shop with work boots or sneakers on and buy a stirrup it might be the wrong size. Now if it is every shop would swap them out for you so its just to save you time more than anything else.

3) We sell every style of stirrup and to be honest our current best seller is a plastic lightweight stirrup. Everyone loves them and there really cheap and super sturdy. There are then two types of stirrup as far as Im concerned. The branded ones, which are from Sprenger, Mountain Horse, and others and these are usually very high quality, usually quite expensive but will last you years. You can even get gold plated and diamond encrusted stirrups. Worth noting that some brands like mountain horse offer a stirrup that actually matches the sole of their Leather boots. These allow fantastic grip, easy escape and more controlled riding.

Then there are the generic brands. These are sold by every tom dick and harry often are made in the same factories in Asia. These vary in quality from fantastic to ok! Avoid the ok one!!!

4) Stirrups will last anything from 1 year to 20 years depending on the care, storage and type of riding and level of usage and whether your dog chews them or not!!

5) anything else to note. Yes! There is a newish breed of stirrup out that some people may not be familiar with. These are a a stirrup that completely bend at the base. They were originally very expensive as in hundreds (sprenger) but now other companies are copying them and the price of the copies has come down below €50. There not everyones cup of tea but another option none the less.

6) Just a thought. If you are getting new Stirrups, cheack your leathers. I had someone come into me the other day after buy a new bridle and stirrups by a brand my opposition stocks. Within one ride the leathers snapped and within a week the bridle broke. So make sure for safetys sake your leathers are healthy and if they need replacing dont put it off as you could have a serious injury if they snapped. Stirrup leathers are only €18 so they wont break the bank!!

Thats all I can think of for now. If you have any question just give me a shout.

Regards
    Eoghan

Advertisement