Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub near airport

Options
  • 16-08-2011 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, escapee from the Athletics forum here. I'm flying into Dublin on Saturday and overnighting there. Looking forward to a decent pint but I don't want to brave the city centre on a Saturday night. Is there a quiet-ish bar that serves a good pint within a short taxi ride of the airport?

If all else fails I guess I'd try the Gravediggers :)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Kealy's on the Old Airport Road. 10 mins walk from the terminal. Great pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

ALSAA across the road. Coachmans Inn the other direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

peteb2 wrote: »
    ALSAA across the road

Members only though? Still I could do a few laps of the track instead :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

RoyMcC wrote: »
    Hi guys, escapee from the Athletics forum here. I'm flying into Dublin on Saturday and overnighting there. Looking forward to a decent pint but I don't want to brave the city centre on a Saturday night. Is there a quiet-ish bar that serves a good pint within a short taxi ride of the airport?

If all else fails I guess I'd try the Gravediggers :)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Be prepared for an ear bashing from the taxi driver!!

Save yourself the pain and walk to Kealy's. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Ring a local cab e.g. Swords cabs on 8406600 and request a taxi from your hotel or from departures. The point Larianne is making I think that a taxi man in a queue for 40 mins would be very disappointed with a 5 euro fare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Andromeda_111

If you head to Swords the Old School House is a nice pub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Thank you to the DCN forum - a nice hour or two in Kealy's. Excellent pint (and only €4), good service, good community pub. They have a Kealy Bus, Golf Society, transport to/from Croke Park for the big matches - every sign of a business determined to succeed. To be recommended to any visitors not wanting to be stuck at a crappy airport hotel bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

RoyMcC wrote: »
    Thank you to the DCN forum - a nice hour or two in Kealy's. Excellent pint (and only €4), good service, good community pub. They have a Kealy Bus, Golf Society, transport to/from Croke Park for the big matches - every sign of a business determined to succeed. To be recommended to any visitors not wanting to be stuck at a crappy airport hotel bar.

Did you walk down or get a taxi (and if you got a taxi, how pissed off was he when you told him you were only going down the road?)

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

One of the nicest pints in Dublin, the Boot Inn. Also known as what was once called Jets.
    A real Irish pub too if you want to go all out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭easygoing39

The point Larianne is making I think that a taxi man in a queue for 40 mins would be very disappointed with a 5 euro fare.
    He'd be at least 2 hrs waiting for a fare,if it was only 40 mins the driver would only moan a little bit!!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

Good enough for them. Its luck of the draw.

The OP was looking for a pub - not a debate on airport taxis.

tHB

well i think the original poster's original query is settled

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭crookesa

Ring a local cab e.g. Swords cabs on 8406600 and request a taxi from your hotel or from departures. The point Larianne is making I think that a taxi man in a queue for 40 mins would be very disappointed with a 5 euro fare.

I believe if the far is within the confine of the airport grounds they are allowed to skip the kesh and head back up to the rank outside the terminal. I believe The Coachman's and long term car parks are classed inside the grounds but am open to correction!!!

crookesa wrote: »
    I believe if the far is within the confine of the airport grounds they are allowed to skip the kesh and head back up to the rank outside the terminal. I believe The Coachman's and long term car parks are classed inside the grounds but am open to correction!!!

Sorry I can't quite understand your post. Are you saying the taxi driver in the taxi rank in the airport, that if he takes a fare that's only a really short distance, he can come back and effectively skip the queue? Is this well managed?

And neither of you understood my previous post about this not being a thread about taxis.

Closed.

tHB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement