Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arrogant Councillors: "Not Junk" !

Options
  • 16-08-2011 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

I am sick to the teeth of the few local politicians who insist on posting their promotional materials through my front door despite the large "No Junk Mail" sign. The most arrogant of all arrived today from a FG Councillor with a self designated "not junk mail" sticker on the front of his promotional material!

I have contacted this councillor several times asking that he refrains from posting his junk in my door but he continues to do so. Is there anyone I can contact about this?

The glossy literature has no less than 8 photos of the Councillor and full information on all FG activities and representatives under the guise of "community information" which is the usual "I want a bus stop in Charlesland" and the cliff walk to stay open etc., etc. Nothing about handing over the spine road to the Council anymore, probably because FG voted against this!

To add insult, I now have to pay to recylce this rubbish and you can be sure that the taxpayer is funding this literature and delivery in one way or another. :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Stuff it back through his letterbox perhaps?

Produce your own "newsletter" with articles like "Greystones residents sick of getting junk in their letterboxes" and "Councillors really don't give a crap about other peoples' wishes" and stick one through his door every time he drops something through your letterbox.

I have a sign in my door and the only things I tend to get nowadays are "Charity" bags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

FG are the biggest culprits for sure... honestly no one wants to see photos of these nitwits in front of some building with the generic title of 'councillor gobs***e mentioned this one day in a speech, so isnt he great' type of rubbish.

Don't bother emailing them, they don't even read them.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I don't consider it junk mail - It's information on what a councillor is undertaking as your public representative. I consider it part of the democratic process that information is being given out on what they are doing. The taxpayer generally does not fund most political literature as well - It is generally paid for by the party or politician

If you really don't want it then amend your sign to make this very clear - Something like "no junk mail (including political literature)" or "no leaflets, fliers, literature of any kind including political literature"

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 14,890 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

junk mail = unsolicited mail. If its not something you've agreed to receive then it's junk - "no junk mail" is a pretty clear instruction, but local politicians won't let constituents actual wishes stand in the way of them distributing their rubbish.

I agree with Mike - get an A4 envelope, fill it with every piece of junk mail you receive for a month, sellotape the FG leaflet to the outside and stick it through the councillor's letterbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭toitle

FG kept sending stuff to a member of my household.
    The letters always went unopened and the sight of them just got on my nerves.
    I emailed the party in question and they desisted straight away.
    Why not give them a shout and ask them not to?

• Advertisement

I don't consider it junk mail - It's information on what a councillor is undertaking as your public representative. I consider it part of the democratic process that information is being given out on what they are doing. The taxpayer generally does not fund most political literature as well - It is generally paid for by the party or politician

If you really don't want it then amend your sign to make this very clear - Something like "no junk mail (including political literature)" or "no leaflets, fliers, literature of any kind including political literature"
    What a ridiculous argument.

By your standards then, the menus from Chinese/pizza/whatever aren't junk either, simply part of the dietary process of informing people of the great food on offer.

It's not addressed to me, I didn't ask for it, therefore it's junk.

Got one today as it happens. From Derek Mitchell. It would appear to me that his desire to pimp himself takes precedence over my express wish not to receive unsolicited mail.

loyatemu wrote: »
    junk mail = unsolicited mail. If its not something you've agreed to receive then it's junk - "no junk mail" is a pretty clear instruction, but local politicians won't let constituents actual wishes stand in the way of them distributing their rubbish.

I agree with Mike - get an A4 envelope, fill it with every piece of junk mail you receive for a month, sellotape the FG leaflet to the outside and stick it through the councillor's letterbox.

I disagree with that interpretation of junk mail as do most political parties - you do need to give clearer instructions if you don't want it.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I disagree with that interpretation of junk mail as do most political parties - you do need to give clearer instructions if you don't want it.
    I shouldn't need to be explicit. If I shove a bag of dog crap through a letterbox is it okay as there is nothing on the occupants' sign about faecal matter?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I don't think instructions can be any clearer than "No Junk Mail"

I think most people will agree that there has never been a problem acquiring information/propaganda on political parties in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Rubbish. That is like spam email saying it is not spam because if they did not send you the email then you would not have known about the penis enlargement deal.

If you didn't request the councillor to send you the leaflets then it's junk mail no matter if it's good junk mail or bad. Just because it's called junk mail doesn't mean it is junk, it just means you didn't request it or grant permission for it.

I presume you see the definition of junk mail as something that has no interest to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

I'm too lazy to put a sign up myself, but if I did it would say something like "An Post Deliveries Only" in order to avoid this ridiculous situation where "junk" is open to interpretation.

All parties instruct their members to put leaflets through even if they see a 'no junk mail' sign. If you don't want it your signage has to be more explicit.

Terry Pratchet

All parties instruct their members to put leaflets through even if they see a 'no junk mail' sign. If you don't want it your signage has to be more explicit.
    Seriously. Repeating this mantra over and over doesn't make it right.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

What would you suggest the sign should say?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

Stamped Mail Only. That's pretty clear.

As someone above suggested. Gather all your junk mail for a while, stick it in an envelope and then post it back to this guys office with no stamp. Hopefully they will then pay to receive an envelope full of junk.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Matt Le Tissue

you could always put up a sign that says something like " Any political literature through my letterbox will guarantee them not getting a vote here!"

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭hamstervision

you could always put up a sign that says something like " Any political literature through my letterbox will guarantee them not getting a vote here!"

Or something like this? :D

Free-cheese-offered-to-Fi-007.jpg

Seriously though, I don't see why "No Junk Mail" or "No Circulars" (which I've seen on someone's door in Charlesland) shouldn't be more than enough. For me, junk mail is unsolicited mail.

Seriously though, I don't see why "No Junk Mail" or "No Circulars" (which I've seen on someone's door in Charlesland) shouldn't be more than enough. For me, junk mail is unsolicited mail.

My thoughts exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

2011 wrote: »
    What would you suggest the sign should say?

I wish I could answer that without being banned by the mods :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17 videos

...are these just Junk Posts at this stage ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement