Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

blood in milk

• 16-08-2011 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭

have a cow that came in this evening with pure blood- with clots- in one quarter. i didnt milk her in that quarter, what should i do with her in the morning. She is due to calve before christmas. Would i just dry her off and leave it alone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

whelan1 wrote: »
    have a cow that came in this evening with pure blood- with clots- in one quarter. i didnt milk her in that quarter, what should i do with her in the morning. She is due to calve before christmas. Would i just dry her off and leave it alone?
    I'd say milk her with a quarter milker and treat her for mastitis. I get a few of them through the year after a fight or from lying on a stone or just a bang off a hard surface. The clots might be from her fighting the infection or mastitis near a fairly large blood vessel that ruptures. Safer to treat it as mastitis i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

as 5live said, drying her off would be a poor move.
    if she is nt showing a marked improvement with in 3 day, id rethink it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Souterrain

5live wrote: »
    I'd say milk her with a quarter milker and treat her for mastitis. I get a few of them through the year after a fight or from lying on a stone or just a bang off a hard surface. The clots might be from her fighting the infection or mastitis near a fairly large blood vessel that ruptures. Safer to treat it as mastitis i think

I have seen this ioften too, and I think 5 live is giving good advice about the quarter milker too maybe even milk her more often and maybe even milk her in the middle of the day if you like. I think keep emptying the quarter to give the burst blood vessel a chance to heal. No matter what you do there will be blood in the milk for a few days because it will bleed again when the quarter fills with milk and the udder gets stretched.

If clots are blood clots not milk clots and theres no heat or swelling in the quarter I wouldnt worry about mastitis, Id say keep milking her till the milk gets paler and eventually clears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I saw that this year on a suckler I miked by hand after she calved with a huge bag of milk. It had all cleared up the next time I milked her. Crazy to be doing, I know, but she could hardly walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

thanks lads, theres no swelling in the quarter , clots are blood clots .. will see what shes like in the morning

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I have seen it from time to time in the sucklers, but only the very milky ones, I've seen pure blood coming out and within a few days back completely normal again.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Pauric Mc

Il agree with the lads here, the clots are most likely blood,Had one in the spring after she calved, vet said milk her but not milk her out fully until the blood has cleared up, Treated mine with a mastitas tube to just incase of infection, Shes perfect since

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

You might have to draw out the clots by hand if the machine wont pull them through the teat canal should clear up after a fewdays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

cringed a little when I read op

almost to the the date last year we had a cow with blood in 1 quarter however she also had a slight swelling , following morning swelling worse and cow a little off form

4 vet calls and 3 days later she died, needless to say she was 1 of our top animals only 5 year old

hope yours makes a full recovery

pakalasa wrote: »
    I saw that this year on a suckler I miked by hand after she calved with a huge bag of milk. It had all cleared up the next time I milked her. Crazy to be doing, I know, but she could hardly walk.

blood in the milk at calving is quite common and usually nothing to worry about

• Advertisement

well , milked the quarter on its own , a bit more milky this morning but did get blocked a few times with some really bloody clots, milked out fully in it and no swelling yet. She was a bit kicky but seems a bit better than yesterday

whelan1 wrote: »
    well , milked the quarter on its own , a bit more milky this morning but did get blocked a few times with some really bloody clots, milked out fully in it and no swelling yet. She was a bit kicky but seems a bit better than yesterday

good news, ours was bleeding so bad she even swelled all the way out under her belly

tried every thing but in an animal that size literally hadn't a clue where she was bleeding

snowman707 wrote: »
    good news, ours was bleeding so bad she even swelled all the way out under her belly

tried every thing but in an animal that size literally hadn't a clue where she was bleeding
    NOT THAT I AM IN TO THAT TYPE OF THING BUT DID YOU RING FOR THE "CURE" ... will let ye know what she's like this evening:)

cow back fine thank god

Advertisement