Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeking an old fashioned screw

• 16-08-2011 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hello there, I'm based in France and a guy I know who renovates stuff has asked for my help finding a source for what he calls "an old English screw".
    He's ready to travel to London if need be ... any ideas where he could find something like this ?

2011-08-01162342.jpg

2011-08-16214543.jpg

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

It's a set screw a.k.a "grub screw". Should be fairly easy to get as they're widely used in machinery.
    You'll need to find out what thread it is, metric or one of the old English ones.
    Hex head (allen key) might be more readily available than a slot though.

http://www.britishfasteners.com/index.php/categories/grub-screws

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Context is good. What will your friend be screwing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I had a grub screw once. Got it at on a lunch break from work

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭See Ye

Context is good. What will your friend be screwing?
    I don't know, we're not that close ... but I will ask.

See Ye wrote: »
    I don't know, we're not that close ... but I will ask.

Will depend on what the grub screw will be made from. A holding grub screw would be different to a sealing grub screw etc.

• Advertisement

Seems it's the imperial version - he wants 13 rings on the thread as far as I can tell from his sketch.

Thanks for the link to the website - do you know any bricks and mortar stockists ? Would somewhere like homebase stock them ?

(all puns intended)

Should be seeing him tomorrow so I'll get more details then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

See Ye wrote: »
    Seems it's the imperial version - he wants 13 rings on the thread as far as I can tell from his sketch.

Thanks for the link to the website - do you know any bricks and mortar stockists ? Would somewhere like homebase stock them ?

(all puns intended)

Just do us a favour, Record the conversation with homebase, especially the bit when you ask for "an old English screw" :P

These guys will point you in the right direction if they can't help you.

http://www.thomashassett.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

You find a bolt the same thread size and cut it to length and cut a slot in the top. One grub screw!
    Tools required : One cheap hacksaw. A mole grip.

• Advertisement
Advertisement