Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to stop iron girder leaching rust

Options
  • 16-08-2011 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

HI

I have iron girders at openings form the interior to exterior in my house ( i Know..... i was told I didnt have a choice cos of spans etc etc, but anyway they are there now !!). ANyway they are sitting on heavy duty strengthened concrete ( all engineer specified inspected etc) .I have made provision for external cladding and internal insulation stepped back from the internal wall, both with a view to avoiding any form of rust leaching (inside or out) or damp or cold bridging ( inside!) from the steel and concrete pads.

I have made provision for enlarged window frames to accommodate the additional area taken up by the various claddings.

Anyway before doing any internal or external insulation or cladding I am boxing in the actual girders and infilling with insulation in all areas.

I have a couple of questions

1.want to have belt and braces on the issue of damp and leaching of rust so prior to putting on the internal and external finishes I wanted to wrap the boxing (heavy ply) and surround the concrete pads with something like dpc...but I am concerned the dpc may sweat and cause more moisture than I was worried about in the first place.....any ideas?

2. has anyone fixed any of that e-board type external cladding and is there any skill to it which my plasterer might not be aware of as he hasnt done it before? Or is it pretty straightforward

Thanks

Baldric

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

any chance of a picture?
    what is your architect recommending?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,302 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

They are most likely steel not iron. Just FYI.
    You can paint them to reduce the effects of moisture. The opening should be detailed properly with a DPC to keep moisture, this applies to all windows and not just when there is steel over.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,935 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The best idea would be to have it galvanised first, but as Mellor states a generous coating of Hammerite or similar paint would be your best bet at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭baldric

yeah lads thanks for that.... the metal guy said the same...grind off the existing rust, paint it ...box it then seal the joints and keep my fingers crossed.....!! thanks for your help

by the way as for my second question..anyone applied any of that eboard (external cladding/insulation) and if so how did you get on?

Baldric

Advertisement