Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stair gates

Options
  • 16-08-2011 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

I need to set up some stair gates but don't want to drill into the stairs or wall. So we're considering purchasing pressure stair gates. I've read that these are only supposed to be used on the lower part of the stairs, not upstairs. Can anyone tell me why this is?

Is it because the child could conceivably push hard enough to dislodge the gate or is it because the bar running along the floor is a trip hazard?

What are other people doing?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I haven't a clue but we use a pressure one at the top.

We have a Lidl one (coming soon again!) and it has cups you can stick or screw to the wall that hold the pressure pads. I'd highly recommend it, we also have the Ikea one and it's not half as good.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Another plus one for the Lidl gate and we also use it at the top of the stairs. I gave it a good heave with my considerable bulk and it didn't shift, so a toddler would do well to dislodge it. One word of warning though is not to use the sticky pads on wallpaper, it will rip it off such is the stickiness of it. (I learned the hard way...)

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Butterflylove

lidl had them there this week ... 23e i got two first thing monday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

It's because over time (days) the pressure loosens with opening and closing and if the child pushes off it hard enough it can move and fall over. ;) i had one at the bottom of the stairs for a while but got rid of it as it was more hassle than letting him up and down. . he's 19 months and walks upstairs and bums down :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

same here I have 3 of the pressure ones and highly recommend them one at the bottom of the stairs one at the top and one on her bedroom door, she has put loads of pressure on the ones upstairs and they have been fine. If what the poster before me says that they become lose you get a little spanner so you can tighten it up:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Lidl still had a bunch in Pottery Road as of 8:30 last night.

Got two!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

i used both pressure ones at top and bottom, no major issues. I used them for 3 years non stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭somegirl2009

im using a pressure stair gate at the moment at the back door because their is a step, and it is perfect because there is no way it can go through but if that was on the stairs there is no way you could trust it and could be pushed through , i just wouldnt chance it no way :) so for the sake of drilling a few holes it could save your little one from falling down the stairs.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Apologises for dragging up an old thread, but has anyone found extensions for these gates?
    I need a couple of extensions as we have a wide gate.

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭MaudL

Hi, I needed extensions for my Lindam gate as well. Found them in Mothercare but they were very expensive, so I ended up contacting Lindam in the UK and ordered directly from them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I have a lindham which works with pressure. I got it second hand for €10.

My little lad is 14 months and in in thehabit of opening the door to the hallway and crawling upstairs:eek:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ericsinjun

Another problem with the pressure type at the top of the stairs is that the bar at the bottom can create a trip. The height of the trip will depend on the room for play you have and if you have a skirting on the wall side of your stairs. (this is where i'd usually get a pencil and the back of an envelope!).
    Anyways, that's what I found, and I then installed a fixed to the wall type.
    Hope this is of some use.

Advertisement