Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pork Belly

Options
  • 16-08-2011 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭

How do you cook yours?

I usually just score the fat and rub alot of salt and cracked pepper into it. I cook it then for 3 and a half hours at 140 deg (fan oven), It's definatly my fav cut of meat. Anyone got any other interesting rexcipes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭arknine

Google momofuku steamed pork buns.... best thing ever!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I like to roast it slowly too - and if you haven't tried it, Marks and Spencer sell the nicest, most tender pork belly I've ever tasted. There's no rind on it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

If you grill it towards the end, it gives that lovely crackling on the top. Yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I score the fat and rub in salt also, then tie the pork belly into a round, but to start cooking it I preheat the oven to its hottest setting and put the pork belly in for a 20 min blast, this crisps up the crackling really well, then proceed to cook on a low heat for about 2-2.5 hours. Delicious, if I do say so myself :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Inspired by this thread I made Pork Belly last night, I used this as a guide:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/porkbellyflavouredwi_12557

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The beauty of pork belly is that it is very forgiving and very versatile;
    You can slow roast it or it is tender enough to do a fast roast too, giving a chewier, more meaty texture.
    It is great stewed also, in strips, pieces or whole - this, obviously, doesn't give crackling but the skin is nice this way too - sort of jellyish.
    Or you can combine the two by doing it in a pan in the oven with liquid up to but not covering the skin so you get lovely stewed meat and lots of stock/gravy but also crackling.
    Pork belly also takes all sorts of flavours (Asian, North African, herbs etc.) or, if it's really good pork, tastes great with just salt and pepper.

Maybe you can tell? I love belly pork:D:D

This is a really beautiful recipe (the version in the book didn't have the trotter but I'm putting that in next time!).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I crush some fennel seeds in a pestle & mortar with sea salt and then rub this into the scored fat. (I like to use the cut from M&S, it has no rind, so the fat renders and crisps nicely).

Pop into a low oven for approx 3 hours - I usually sit it on onions & garlic to give some more flavour. To serve, I like to make a sauce from apples, onions & garlic.

Advertisement