Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NGB (what a joke!)

Options
  • 16-08-2011 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Hopefuly someone can help me out. Below is what I currently get when I'm supposed to be on an 8mb NGB pack.

1435923257.png

Since I ported back to Eircom in April I have been promised over and over again that something will be done about the line speed but its actually got worse. I used to get around 2.1Mb/s download until a month ago.

Is there anything that can be done? Or is it just more rubbish about being too far from the exchange.

When I ported back I gave eircom so long to try and sort it that I got stuck in the contract. I can't wait until the time is up so I can move to vodafone who are at least providing 4mb to their customers in the same area.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

BrianjG wrote: »
    Hi,

Hopefuly someone can help me out. Below is what I currently get when I'm supposed to be on an 8mb NGB pack.

1435923257.png

Since I ported back to Eircom in April I have been promised over and over again that something will be done about the line speed but its actually got worse. I used to get around 2.1Mb/s download until a month ago.

Is there anything that can be done? Or is it just more rubbish about being too far from the exchange.

When I ported back I gave eircom so long to try and sort it that I got stuck in the contract. I can't wait until the time is up so I can move to vodafone who are at least providing 4mb to their customers in the same area.

Hi BrianG
    My apologies if you have been promised to have thi sresolved and not been done. Can you PM me your tel. no. and I can run some tests on this for you.
    Tony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

BrianjG wrote: »
    Hi,

1435923257.png

Hi BrianjG,

Thanks for contacting eircom on Broads.

If you PM your home phone number I will take a look at your broadband sync and previous case history with Technical Support.

Kind regards
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mjjcffree

All I can say is I am with vodafone and they are the most incompetent people I ever had the displeasure to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

In fairness to eircom, aside from an initial "argument" with them about what "the computer says" my line would support vs what I KNEW (from experience) it'd support, it's been rock-solid ever since.

I was upgraded to the top-line NGB package about 2 months back and get 1.1 MB/s down most of the time.

Vodafone however I agree with mjjcffree on - told me it'd take 6 weeks to activate an already live line when I moved house (plus there were the infamous speed issues when they bought the BT consumer business) so eircom it was and it was up and running 3 days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭beanhead

I am on the same package - 8Mb NGB in Bray & get the same problem, I called a couple of times & got varied responses ranging from there is no problem & problem is your line is maxed out, we can cap it at 7Mb to avoid this problem.

I agreed to this re-cap of our speed to 7Mb & this has had a positive effect on actual modem drop-outs, which is progress of a kind.

However more often than not I get a 2Mb d/L speed as opposed to 7Mb & crappy upload as well.

I even changed from the crappy modem supplied thinking that was the problem to a nice Wireless-N TP-Link modem...nope...

The fix? I simply make a call to 1901, this causes a change to the connection & gives me my full d/l & u/l speeds - how this works no idea, but it does.

UPC came to the door last Friday as they are looking to lay cable across the drive, this gave me the opportunity to ask when it would be available

"about 3 months time" was the answer

I only signed back with Eircom 2 months ago but as far as I am concerned they don't honor their promise, the only reason we switched to Eircom is because we moved home & was told that I needed to drop our existing BB provider in order to keep our number - probably another fat lie...should have stayed with Imagine.

You can guess where we're ****ing off to in 3mths

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭beanhead

Here we are (after 10s call to 1901)
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/1443209206.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

beanhead wrote: »
    I am on the same package - 8Mb NGB in Bray & get the same problem, I called a couple of times & got varied responses ranging from there is no problem & problem is your line is maxed out, we can cap it at 7Mb to avoid this problem.

I agreed to this re-cap of our speed to 7Mb & this has had a positive effect on actual modem drop-outs, which is progress of a kind.

However more often than not I get a 2Mb d/L speed as opposed to 7Mb & crappy upload as well.

I even changed from the crappy modem supplied thinking that was the problem to a nice Wireless-N TP-Link modem...nope...

The fix? I simply make a call to 1901, this causes a change to the connection & gives me my full d/l & u/l speeds - how this works no idea, but it does.

UPC came to the door last Friday as they are looking to lay cable across the drive, this gave me the opportunity to ask when it would be available

"about 3 months time" was the answer

I only signed back with Eircom 2 months ago but as far as I am concerned they don't honor their promise, the only reason we switched to Eircom is because we moved home & was told that I needed to drop our existing BB provider in order to keep our number - probably another fat lie...should have stayed with Imagine.

You can guess where we're ****ing off to in 3mths
    Hi beanhead
    7.85mb/s is good for an up to 8Mb line set at 7Mb, however I do not understand why this changes so much for you, nor why speeds increase after calls to 1901 . The re-capping of your line to 7Mb would be the correct move if constantly dropping at 8Mb
    Can you DM me your tel number and I can have the speed issue investigated for you. I can hopefully save you the time involved in chasing this.
    Tony

Advertisement