Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrong GPA on credit statement.

Options
  • 16-08-2011 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭

Im generally a pretty good student, b's and b+'s etc but i made a silly mistake with an elective last year which was too much for me and i dropped out and therefore got an F, however i had checked everything with advisors first and, while i dont recall the conversation, i was of the understanding that the university takes your best 12 modules of every year and therefore the GPA is drawn from that. So anyway i left that module and picked an extra one up the next semester and thought nothing of the wrong GPA for the rest of the year because it included an F. Now however i have the credit statement where the 12 are correct (i.e the failed module is not included) and i still have an incorrect GPA.

I hope to god i havent been given incorrect information because i would never for a second have just dropped out of the module if i thought it meant accepting a fail on my record!

Anyone know anything about this or have any experience?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Did you withdraw late? Is it your Stage GPA or Semester GPA that is affected?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

The semester GPA where you failed the module should be low.

The semester where you passed the extra module should be 'normal', it won't be higher than normal because the GPA is averaged by 7 modules.

The failed module will stay on the statement but the extra one you done should compensate for that.

Email the student desk or drop in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

yep i withdrew late, thats the one. Its the GPA for all of stage 2 thats coming up as low at the moment (im going into 3rd year). Does that sound about right?

Im gonna go see the student advisor on thursday but was a bit nervous about it all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

Yeah I'd talk to them. But I think the student desk is the best bet. They will go into your record and explain it as is.

The student advisor may just talk about policy and what should happen.

I found the people at the student desk very helpful, because they explained things there and then according to what they see on the system.

The advisors are excellent but I found they just tell it as it 'should' be according to rules and regulations.

If you substituted the module it shouldn't make the stage gpa low (just the semester the F showed up). That should have balanced out at the end of the stage.

I do know though all modules attempted stay on the statement, so maybe sisweb is accounting for the F grade, and netting the gpa off 13 modules.

Sorry I can't be more help, but good luck with getting it sorted. Its a pain having to chase stuff up like that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

dr gonzo wrote: »
    yep i withdrew late, thats the one. Its the GPA for all of stage 2 thats coming up as low at the moment (im going into 3rd year). Does that sound about right?

Im gonna go see the student advisor on thursday but was a bit nervous about it all the same.

You withdrew late, so that module will be used in your Semester GPA. It won't be used in your Stage GPA (or it shouldn't anyway). Anyway, contact the student desk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

dr gonzo wrote: »

Are you in Arts? Because if you are, your Stage 2 covers 2nd and 3rd year, and so the F won't get bumped off the bottom until the end of 3rd year.

Advertisement