Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

beano345 wrote: »
    papillion -henri charriere

Any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

Any good?

brilliant 3rd time reading it,if you like prison break books its one of the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

david75 wrote: »
    While its topical, I'm told the Enders Game books are excellent.

Anyone know for sure?

My husband read the first one and said it was fantastic. The author is very religious and anti gay marriage (and anti gay in general) so he refused to read the rest of them on principle.

I'm just started reading the new Jhumpa Lahiri book - love her book The Namesake so I'm really looking forward to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

david75 wrote: »
    While its topical, I'm told the Enders Game books are excellent.

Anyone know for sure?

one of the best sci-fi books ever wrote along with dune

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

killing pablo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Just finished reading Morrissey's Autobiography....very good, if a tad whingey...but what would you expect.

Going to read Game of Thrones now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    My husband read the first one and said it was fantastic. The author is very religious and anti gay marriage (and anti gay in general) so he refused to read the rest of them on principle.

I'm just started reading the new Jhumpa Lahiri book - love her book The Namesake so I'm really looking forward to it

Speaking as a gayer, we need more like your husband.
    I'll read it based on this alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Just finished "I'm Dying Up Here" by William Knoedelseder, chronicling the standup comedy explosion in America in the 70s. The action was concentrated on a handful of clubs in the whole country, but in particular the Comedy Store in LA.

Knoedelseder was a reporter for the LA Times and hung out with the prominent comedians all breaking through at the same time - Robin Williams, Richard Pryor, Steve Martin, David Letterman, Andy Kaufman, etc.

It humanises those comedians that we are familiar with, even outside of the US and introduces us to the stories of those who didn't make it. Even though it's a pretty good humoured book, it doesn't shy away from detailing the stories of comedians who couldn't handle making it (Freddie Prinze) or couldn't handle not making it (Steve Lubetkin).

It was fascinating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Harvey Low Fat Milk

I Am Zlatan Ibrahimovic

It's almost a parody of itself and I think that's what makes it all the more fun to read. A lot better a sports biography than the sterile one's that invariably fill countless stockings at Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I'm a couple of hundred pages into Stephen Kings Liseys story. I haven't decided if it's good or bad at the moment. It's a strange one:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Alan Bullock: Hitler and Stalin: Parallel lives.

Just started it, but enjoying it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Pet Sematary.

Downloaded SK's entire collection. Just finished Gerald's Game yesterday. I'd never even heard of it. The blurb explains that the story is about a married couple who are engaging in some kinky games. The man handcuffs his wife to a sturdy bed and then has a heart attack. The story is of her attempts to escape, while also realising she's not alone in the house. It's ok, it definitely didn't need to be as long as it was. Kind of reminded me of Cujo in that it's nearly a whole book over the space of a couple of days, of someone attempting to escape from something. It's definitely creepy and quite graphic in the usual SK style. Not his best, but I enjoyed it nonetheless!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Dominion by CJ Sansom - a novel about an alternative history, if England had surrendered to the Nazis after Dunkirk

After a slow start Im enjoying it and becoming absorbed, although I think I can see how the author is going to bring the characters together

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Just finished Heartbreak Hotel by Deborah Moggech....what a load of rubbish. It's time I'll never be able to get back. No story and very little substance - it was like swimming through treacle.

Reading Saving Grace by Charity Norman at the moment which I'm thoroughly enjoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

BBDBB wrote: »
    Dominion by CJ Sansom - a novel about an alternative history, if England had surrendered to the Nazis after Dunkirk

After a slow start Im enjoying it and becoming absorbed, although I think I can see how the author is going to bring the characters together

Ooh let us know how you get on with it, it's hanging around at home somewhere and I might start it at some stage.

I'm still reading Dracula and I love it; very atmospheric and genuinely creepy in parts. Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

The Clay Machine Gun by Victor Pelevin

Second bash at reading it, just had to put it down the first time as its a bit slow to get in to. Was told to stick with it by a buddy and so am giving it another go.

Getting a bit more into it as I am getting used to the authors heavy use of paradox.....it is thought provoking....still a bit weird though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Pet Sematary.
    I couldn't put it down. You fly trhough it.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Barna77 wrote: »
    I couldn't put it down. You fly trhough it.

Yeah just started it this morning on the bus and got through loads of it already! The version I downloaded is a bit dodgy though...it doesn't recognise some punctuation so instead of quotation marks, for example, I'm just getting little question marks in boxes :o It was a little annoying at the start but I've kind of got used to it. It slows down the reading a bit when there's a lot of dialogue though. Gerald's Game came from the same download and that was fine apart from a few spelling mistakes. I have Salem's Lot next on the list to read. I am a SK fan but it seems like I've barely made a dent in his collection!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

The Copper Beech, by Maeve Binchy. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

One of the Ross O' Caroll Kelly books. Makes me laugh out loud which results in curious looks when I'm on the tube.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 secretagent

Started Peyton Place by Grace Metalious after seeing the film also read the Shardlake Series by C J Sansom highly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

The Lies of Locke Lamora. I've had it for ages but just started it a few days ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Slouching Towards Kalamazoo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Citizen Quinn

About Sean Quinn and his collapse. Didn't plan on reading much of it but it reeled me in like all good books. This Quinn boy doesn't sound like the smartest lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    Ooh let us know how you get on with it, it's hanging around at home somewhere and I might start it at some stage.

I'm still reading Dracula and I love it; very atmospheric and genuinely creepy in parts. Brilliant.

I would say read it, its a good yarn and for a big book it trips along fairly quickly :). Its well researched and as credible as it needs to be.
    Additionally there was an interesting essay like piece at the end about the authors thoughts on rise of Nationalism across Europe and Scottish Independence, I wasn't expecting that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

BBDBB wrote: »
    I would say read it, its a good yarn and for a big book it trips along fairly quickly :). Its well researched and as credible as it needs to be.
    Additionally there was an interesting essay like piece at the end about the authors thoughts on rise of Nationalism across Europe and Scottish Independence, I wasn't expecting that.

Thanks for that :) It sounds pretty good, I'll stick it on the to-read list!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Amy, 27 by Howard Sounes. A look at the life and death of Amy Winehouse and the 27 Club. Got terrible reviews but I am enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sportloto86

'The elephant keeper's children' by Peter Hoeg.
    Enjoyed his 'Miss Smilla's feeling for snow' and 'The quiet girl' few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Carrie by Stephen King.

The format is different than I was expecting but I'm enjoying it so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Carrie by Stephen King.

The format is different than I was expecting but I'm enjoying it so far.

Great little book. He is embarrassed by its quality as it was his first.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement