Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Skagboys Irvine Welsh...

Just started it...prequel to Trainspotting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

I love to go back and re-read some books that I really love.

At the moment I am reading A M Homes 'May we be forgiven'. I'm really enjoying it. It's quirky and funny and I'm racing through it :)
    I loved the humour in this book. I think "quirky" hits the nail on the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Collie D wrote: »
    Seven Deadly Sins: My Pursuit of Lance Armstrong by David Walsh

I have very little interest in cycling other than loosely following results of Tour de France or watching the track events at the Olympics but really enjoying it. Armstrong comes across as a particularly nasty individual not just for his doping but mainly his willingness to ruin anyone who crossed him. Best sports book I have read and would highly recommend even to anyone with no interest in cycling or sports in general.

Note on this is that it was originally published in 2012 and updated last year after he was stripped of titles and appeared on Oprah so if picking up a copy look for the updated version.

Chris O'Dowd is going to play him in the film adaptation, Ben Foster plays Armstrong and Stephen Frears directs.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

ROG's second Auto-Biography, not as good as the first one, but has some interesting views on Irish rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

New to this thread.

'The Wolf of Wall Street'.
    The sheer debauchery is just unbelievable! Miles ahead of the film, a lot like other adaptations, and well worth a read! I couldn't put it down!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Harvey Low Fat Milk

Oliver Twist

Never read it before or have even seen an adaptation but felt like I knew it and it'd be boring. Couldn't be more wrong, great read so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Filth by Irvine Welsh.
    About halfway through, took me a while to get used to the scotch dialect ('fitba' = football, of course!), but I'm not too impressed so far

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Just starting "Heart of Darkness", by Joseph Conrad. This is the tale of Victorian exploration, exploitation and corruption that inspired Apocalypse Now. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Aglomerado wrote: »
    I'd like to read that (the latter, that is).

The former, I'd say, is a barrel of laughs.

I'm reading "A Tragedy Waiting to Happen: The Chaotic Life of Brendan O'Donnell" by Tony and JJ Muggivan. I found it in a charity shop a couple of weeks back. I don't normally read this kind of stuff but the incidents took place not far from where I grew up and some of the names mentioned are familiar.

I read the Brendan O'Donnell book a few years ago, sad on many levels and a very interesting read, from what I can remember it will raise more questions than it answers.

I am currently reading "The Book Thief".....well worth a glance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

Just started Guilliver's Travels. Back to reading famous Irish pieces since Dracula. :)

Gave up on Gulliver's Travels. The writing style just didn't suit me.

Next one will be Boy in the Striped Pyjamas. I think modern fiction/thrillers are more my genre now. Definitely since my college degree was mostly old literature. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭8mv

Borrowed my daughthers copy of The Fault In Our Stars by John Green. Loved it - it's clever, funny, irreverent and heartbreaking, sometimes all on one page. Hope they do justice to it in the movie.
    How reading Lost at Sea by Jon Ronson. Pretty good. I know him as a guest on the occasional podcast, but this is the first of his books I've read.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

"The Testament of Mary" by Colm Toibin. So far not really enjoying it but will finish as it's so short.

This week I read last Train to Memphis, and Carelss Love, by Peter Guralnick, both about the rise and fall of Elvis presley.

Great books, very well written.
    Just finshed the Careless Love one this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Eamon Dunphy's bio The Rocky Road, good read ol'Eamon is honest to a fault as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Just started Joseph O'Connor's Redemption Falls and for the first 2 pages I was thinking it was a load of twaddle but as it went on a bit I started to enjoy it. Had to force myself to put it down and go to sleep. Looking forward to getting back to it.

Any one that has read it what did you think of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭anotherfinemess

"Last book was 'Diary of a slave girl written in her own words' (Kindle free classic), not bad. "

I read that too, its quite an eye opener. Now on Chestertons 'History of the USA'. A bit heavy going but interesting nonetheless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Wizard & Glass by Stephen King (Dark Tower 4) It truly is a smashing read.

Reading that too at the moment,been trying to draw the books out as I don't want the series to end. Think it's up there as one of my favourite series.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Half way through The Second World War by Antony Beevor but taking a break to read Citadel by Kate Mosse. Enjoying them both.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Witchie wrote: »
    Just started Joseph O'Connor's Redemption Falls and for the first 2 pages I was thinking it was a load of twaddle but as it went on a bit I started to enjoy it. Had to force myself to put it down and go to sleep. Looking forward to getting back to it.

Any one that has read it what did you think of it?

Yes, very good, a bit of a slog initially, but worth sticking with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I'm reading A Study in Scarlet. I read some abridged Sherlock Holmes books when I was younger, but this is my first foray into "proper" Sherlock.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭TheMza

The autobiography of Malcolm X, really good read, so informative!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

The Bhagavad Gita, very interesting reading!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

the karamazov bros, shiÍs tight as fúck bro

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Reading the Ross O'Carroll Kelly series by Paul Howard. Genius stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I'm currently halfway through Robert K Massie's Nicholas and Alexandra. I'm really enjoying it; even though it's not fiction it reads like a story. I have a huge interest in Russian history so I really like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,177 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Read The Dirtiest Race in History by Richard Moore about the Doping Scandal in 100m Final at Seoul Olympics.

9/10 for me.

80% of way through Auschitz by Lawrence Rees again I give it 9/10.

Read some really good books lately

Savaged Continent by Keith Lowe was also very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

^^ Auschwitz is a fascinating read, although it got a bit too much for me at times. Brilliant though.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I've just finished Stephen Fry's "The Fry Chronicle's" and I've moved on to David Mitchell's "Back Story".

I adore David Mitchell and I'm enjoying this light reading at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,177 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    ^^ Auschwitz is a fascinating read, although it got a bit too much for me at times. Brilliant though.

Ya agree.

Some stories were heartbreaking.

I actually had to put down the book once or twice just to comprehend how some stories could happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

'Enders Game'

Easy to read and seems to have had a big influence on Bungies development of Master Chief.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement