Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

judgefudge wrote: »
    The corrections by jonathon franzen

Great book. I bought it on Kindle a few months back, sorting out books in the folks' attic last weekend, found a paperback version of it!

Reading "The Goldfinch" myself and enjoying it. Long old book though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    I've just started Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown, thanks to this thread. So far so good :)
    I just finished it. One of the saddest books I've read. It'll stay with me for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I just finished it. One of the saddest books I've read. It'll stay with me for a long time.

I'm not sure if I'm put off or even more compelled to read it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Custardpi wrote: »

Got Dee Brown's "Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee" for Xmas so decided to read that next. An almost relentlessly tragic account of the cruel & often bloody battle to drive the various North American Indian tribes off their ancestral land. There's the occasional tale of brave resistance by chiefs like Cochise, Red Cloud, Geronimo & Sitting Bull but ultimately all prove futile. Very depressing but a well written book with lots of contemporary photos featuring the main people involved.

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee is a fantastic book. I read it a long time ago and was wowed by it. Might read it again.
    I read the following two books last week : Three Ways to Capsize a Boat by Chris Stewart and The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult.
    Both were totally different - the first was an interesting read as I'd been on my first sailing holiday last year and the second was great as a filler book - I was off work sick and it demanded little of me.

I've started Barracuda by Christos Tsiolkas (author of The Slap) and its brilliant. I've been gripped by the story since I started it on Sunday - am almost finished now.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

I am fierce busy in work, so much so that i cant concentrate on anything much when it comes to reading at this time of year.

So for its ease of reading, but also because it kept me wanting to read more I have been reading The Giver trilogy by Lois Lowry.

It is made up of three books

The Giver
    Messenger
    Son

I think that the Giver is on the curriculum in American schools.

Recommended for an easy but interesting read!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Just started re-reading "The Grapes of Wrath".

Fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Just started re-reading "The Grapes of Wrath".

Fantastic.

Excellent book. Sad story but so well written.

I'm onto the "Secret Scripture" by Sebastian Barry. Decent so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Tir

'Sermons' - Johannes Tauler

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    I've just started Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown, thanks to this thread. So far so good :)

Thanks a mil....just ordered!
    Am reading 'The Never List' , Koethi Zan

Good thriller

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Stephen King's Doctor Sleep. I'm not really sure about it yet. It isn't as gripping as The Shining, it's got more of a Dean Koontz feel to it, but it's fairly enjoyable. I'd advise anyone who hasn't read The Shining to read it before reading it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

I'm FINALLY getting round to reading Orwell's 'Animal Farm'. Read 1984 a few months back.....great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I finished Barracuda and recommend it. Its not an easy read in that the main character isn't easy to sympathise with but its a good read and worth the time.

Other books I've read and would recommend are:
    The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb. Actually all of his books are superb (I Know This Much is True, She's Come Undone and I've just ordered We Are Water on Amazon today) and are a great read. You really are brought into the story and the world of the characters.

Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I'm reading Death in Perugia by John Follain and I am completely hooked. So much so I stayed up until 3am this morning reading it and now I am totally exhausted! :o For anyone with event a remote interest in the Meredith Kercher case this is a must read!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 johnr3

The Great Gatsby

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Finished Hannibal last night, enjoyed it, though surprised at the direction the ending took.

Started The Road this morning.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Jane Eyre.

I've had it on the shelf for aaaages, saw the movie (the new one) recently and loved it so I abandoned the three other books I've been struggling with and am really enjoying it. The writing is gorgeous. Flying through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Hamadeusentman

'Rats' by Robert Sullivan. 'Observations on the History and Habitat of the City's Most Unwanted Inhabitants.' Finding it intriguing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Daisy78

The third policeman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

The Lord of the Flies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

The Stranger by Albert Camus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

Finished Hannibal last night, enjoyed it, though surprised at the direction the ending took.

if your cormac mc carty fan i would start with 'child of God' be fore the road.

you will know is writing style and then you wont be confused readind the road

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

if your cormac mc carty fan i would start with 'child of God' be fore the road.

you will know is writing style and then you wont be confused readind the road

I dunno about that. I would tell people to read All The Pretty Horses first, then The Road, then Child of God and then Blood Meridian (although BM is the first one I've read and I have a hard time reading other books sometimes because I keep going back to it). That's in order or increasing levels of horrible things happening and complexity of language

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

My wife never could read books, I used to tell her that she just never found a book worth reading, gave her The Road to read a few years after our son was born, she read more books than me last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Dune by Frank herbert. I can't comprehend that I only discovered its existence last week. Thrilled that there are prequels/sequels :D

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭CarMe

My booky wook.

Surprisingly really loving it though I wouldn't have been Russell Brands biggest fan before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Re-reading "The Devil of Nanking" by Mo Hader. It's quite gripping and I'd highly recommend it for those who enjoy a crime thriller set to tales of WWII atrocities.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Dune by Frank herbert. I can't comprehend that I only discovered its existence last week. Thrilled that there are prequels/sequels :D

The sequels are...disappointing to put it one way (utter rubbish would be another)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,771 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Justice: What's the right thing to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭FudgeBrownie

The Complete Turtle Trader.

Basically, this lad trained a bunch of people for two weeks about investing, then gave them 1 million dollars each and got them to trade stocks.

They made a couple of hundred million over time, with the majority of them having no experience. Quite amazing really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

The Last Holiday: A Memoir by Gil Scott-Heron.

Really interesting hearing how he learned to write and play music,and great stories about his childhood.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement