Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I finished A Study in Scarlet and it was only okay. Without spoiling anything, halfway through the book it starts telling the story of Mormons in Utah without any explanation. It does dovetail back, but I really felt that that section was far more compelling and engaging than any with Holmes and Watson, which can't be a good thing.

I'm now starting The Sign of Four.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Just started The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt, pretty gripped already.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tishandy

Read the new Stephan king " Joyland" today, as a massive King fan I was disapointed. A predictable build up to nothing, would have been better as a short story.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

if your cormac mc carty fan i would start with 'child of God' be fore the road.

you will know is writing style and then you wont be confused readind the road

Never read any of his stuff before. Not finding the writing style a problem, flying through it really (after Catch-22 this is nothing :pac:). Though the lack of quotation marks is a bit confusing at times.

Really enjoying it so far anyway (about halfway through), will be sure to check out his other stuff if I feel the same at the conclusion.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭8mv

Finding my 'to read' shelf empty, I raided my daughters bookshelves and found Adrian Mole and the Weapons of Mass Destruction by Sue Townsend. I had read the original Mole book when I was a teenager, but had forgotten all about him. This was a very pleasant surprise, witty and light on the surface but with a none too subtle edge underneath. I might go back and check out the ones I skipped.
    Next up - a second reading of Wolf Hall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭apieceofcake

Just finished 'Long Way Home' by Eva Dolan...a debut crime novel, focusing on Estonian migrant workers in the UK.

Thought it was absolutely brilliant.

I love when I find a new author and when their book is really as good as it says it is on the cover!!

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

finished Altered Carbon - Richard Morgan.quality read.

now on to Hyperion (Hyperion Cantos, #1) - Dan Simmons

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

finished Altered Carbon - Richard Morgan.quality read.

now on to Hyperion (Hyperion Cantos, #1) - Dan Simmons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Just started to read "To Kill A Mockingbird", a pleasure to read compared to Moby Dick which took me months to finish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭RahenyD5

Started reading a couple of books at the moment, The Cuckoo's Calling by JK Rowling and the English version of Peig

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

RahenyD5 wrote: »
    Started reading a couple of books at the moment, The Cuckoo's Calling by JK Rowling and the English version of Peig

Good God, why?!?!? :eek: Did you lose a bet??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭RahenyD5

Custardpi wrote: »
    Good God, why?!?!? :eek: Did you lose a bet??

Out of curiosity to see what the fuss is about also for the sake of Irishness

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Hamadeusentman

Vojera wrote: »
    I finished A Study in Scarlet and it was only okay. Without spoiling anything, halfway through the book it starts telling the story of Mormons in Utah without any explanation. It does dovetail back, but I really felt that that section was far more compelling and engaging than any with Holmes and Watson, which can't be a good thing.

I'm now starting The Sign of Four.

Massive fan of Conan Doyle. He was a genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Reading The Secret History by Donna Tartt. So far so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭The Domonator

The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. Bought it years ago but never got around to reading it back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Tried to read Sense and Sensibility by Joanna Trollope at the weekend. I couldn't get past the first couple of chapters. Instead of being a clever update of the Jane Austen novel, it just sounds as if she took a bunch of characters from the eighteenth century and plonked them into the modern age.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Jane Eyre.

I've had it on the shelf for aaaages, saw the movie (the new one) recently and loved it so I abandoned the three other books I've been struggling with and am really enjoying it. The writing is gorgeous. Flying through it.
    If you're interested, there's a pretty entertaining youtube series from Jane's perspective in modern times. Link.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 psychoniamh

Currently reading The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. About half way through and still trying to decide whether I like it or not (which probably means I don't..) but going to read it to the end regardless. It's quite a jumpy read, as expected from the title, which can be hard to keep up with at times. Looking forward to checking out the film version with Rachel McAdams.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    If you're interested, there's a pretty entertaining youtube series from Jane's perspective in modern times. Link.

Legend, thanks for linking that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Currently reading The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. About half way through and still trying to decide whether I like it or not (which probably means I don't..) but going to read it to the end regardless. It's quite a jumpy read, as expected from the title, which can be hard to keep up with at times. Looking forward to checking out the film version with Rachel McAdams.

I enjoyed the book, but the film... Not so much!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Mister Trebus

Hitler, by Ian Kershaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

The Russia House by John leCarre. Nothing like a good cold war novel.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

"Goldfinch" by Donna Tartt.

Good but tough going - 700 pages long!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Trying to wade my way through Ayn Rand's "Anthem" at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Massive fan of Conan Doyle. He was a genius.

I'm enjoying The Sign of Four much more than A Study in Scarlet. It feels a lot more cohesive and the mystery seems a bit better thought out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I was given a book in Sweden a couple of weeks ago. "The Hundred year old Man" by Jonas Jonasson.
    Translated from Swedish to English.
    It is one of those nice relaxing reads, the story ambles along with a few detours.
    Lots of subtle humour in there too. Just the kind of book I am in the mood for.
    I am trying to read it slowly to make it last!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Finished The Road, as grim and miserable as expected, I loved it :o Will definitely be checking out his other work.

Moving onto Terry Pratchett (Jingo) to cheer me up :D

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Finished The Road, as grim and miserable as expected, I loved it :o Will definitely be checking out his other work.
    I started the Road last night, unputdownable (until I dozed off that is)! If I read at the pace I read last night I will finish it tonight. Bleak but beautiful writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Generation Kill, by Evan Wright. Gritty, entertaining stuff. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Aethan Dor

Midnight Tides by Steven Erikson

Right in the middle of his Malazan Book of the Fallen series

Enjoying the series though it's quite multi charactered and complicated at times !

Always fancied the idea of trying to come up with my own Fantasy World setting for my own stories but works like this by Erikson overwhelm me with the sheer size and amount of self created details used !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement