Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Ross O'Carroll-Kelly, Downturn Abbey

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

"The Luminaries" by Eleanor Catton (Booker prize winner 2013).

Big old book but, 100 pages in, pretty much has me intrigued.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Just finished reading The Book Thief.

It was tedious at times & difficult to maintain concentration, but I have alot going on right now so that could have did influenced my reading of this remarkable book.

"When Death tells a story, you pay attention."

It is beautifully written, wonderfully captivating once focused. In short, it tells a story in which books become treasures and that is something that could not be emphasised enough to me.

Would read The Book Thief again,
    kerry4sam

Finished it this week. It is well written but I found it quite tough to get through, I think it's a bit over hyped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

reading Apple Tree Yard by Louise Doughty its pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The Devotion of Suspect X by Keigo Higashino

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The Lost Symbol - Dan Brown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I'm taking a break from Sherlock to read Him & Me by Jack and Michael Whitehall. So far it's more amusing than really funny, but I have laughed out out to myself a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

The Demon by Herbert Shelby Jr - about a young NY business man who is obsessed with bedding attached women, but after a while that thrill is not enough for him and it gets nasty…so far his narcissistic views are as comical and frightening as a certain Patrick Bateman’s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Just finished To Kill A Mockingbird, great read! Starting third Ice and Fire

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

Heaps Of Trouble by Emelyn Heaps.

Author's story about growing up in Dublin in the 50's plus.
    Very funny in parts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

finished Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill.i enjoyed it,he certainly inherited his fathers way with creepiness

now on to The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle #1) - Patrick Rothfuss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Anne Other

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Collection of Short Stories by Edgar Allen Poe. Some are really enjoyable while I struggled a bit through others.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Reading "Noticia de un Secuestro" ("News of a Kidnapping") by Gabriel García Márquez, which is an account of a series of high profile kidnappings in Colombia in the early '90s by Pablo Escobar & the general political & social climate of the time. I'm familiar with some of the book's events through watching documentaries but it's fascinating to get under the skin of many of those involved, on both sides of the law. Colombia at the time seems to have been an even scarier place than I had realised, particularly the Escobar base of Medellín. It's a fantastic piece of journalism from a writer more widely known for his "magic realism" fiction. Reading it in Spanish to improve my level - a pleasant exercise since his writing style is pretty clear & easy to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

Flowers for algernon. Loving it so far!!

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

Jumping on the band wagon and about to start A Game of Thrones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

The Book Thief. It was very slow to begin with and predictable in others. It would be very easy to give away the end, so I won't say anything more on that. Overall it was a mediocre book. Nothing great but not awful either.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

"Perfect People" by Peter James. The hazards of designer babies. Have "Cell 8" to read next.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭hsanz114clayton

conorhal wrote: »
    After seeing the movie I read 'Ender's Game', for a book written in the 80's long before the internet is was amazingly precient in it's use of technology. You have tablet computers 'desks' and political intregue by posters on the 'nets'.
    It's damn good sci-fi, and I don't read much of the stuff as it's not a genre I'd be a fan of, it reminded me a bit of the only other sci-fi i've read, Ian M. Banks player of games.
    Currently I've reading the sequel, Ender in Exile wich is really interesting. So far it revolves around colonization and space travel and deals with the subjects in a fashion thats I've never seen before, near light speed involves time relativity, so 2 years on an interstellar star ship is like 40ys on earth so characters and conversations become kind of wierd as sombody talks to another character over what is a matter of months to them, but an entire lifetime to the person at the other end of the conversation back on earth, wich is kind of mind bending.

Nice, I was in two minds to read it but now I will :) Thanks!Out of good reads youve read in the past can you reccomend me any?The hunger games books I enjoyed and would also reccomend the book that the Will smith movie I am legend is based on.Its an awesome read!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭simonsays1

Bed
    A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian- v enjoyable

Library
    Picked up Mary McEvoy's 'Let the Light Shine in' read the first page and didn't stop. I like her a lot!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

Back into reading the life and adventures of jack o Connor commonly called jack the batchelor about a smuggler from my hometown,some of the olde English is hard to understand its kinda like an Irish count of Monte christo!bit interesting to see how families made their living from smuggling and piracy Were Im from years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Just downloaded The Wolf of Wall Street last night. Haven't seen the movie yet so it will be all new.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Just returning to 11/22/63 by Stephen King. One of many books I start then put down and forget about for a few months. :o

Just downloaded The Wolf of Wall Street last night. Haven't seen the movie yet so it will be all new.

Einstein said "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"

After reading The Wolf Of Wall Street I realise he left one out, because there is absolutely no limit to the naked greed in some people, and that book lays it bare in a way that's readable and amusing, although you never lose sight of the fact that he and his associates are absolutely disgusting human beings who redefine the words greed and selfishness.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Anne Other wrote: »
    Oh god

judgefudge wrote: »
    Flowers for algernon. Loving it so far!!
    Yeah it was amazing, and usually I don't like when text is written poorly to convey the poor literacy, if you know what I mean. They did it perfectly though

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

conorhal wrote: »
    After seeing the movie I read 'Ender's Game', for a book written in the 80's long before the internet is was amazingly precient in it's use of technology. You have tablet computers 'desks' and political intregue by posters on the 'nets'.
    It's damn good sci-fi, and I don't read much of the stuff as it's not a genre I'd be a fan of, it reminded me a bit of the only other sci-fi i've read, Ian M. Banks player of games.
    Currently I've reading the sequel, Ender in Exile wich is really interesting. So far it revolves around colonization and space travel and deals with the subjects in a fashion thats I've never seen before, near light speed involves time relativity, so 2 years on an interstellar star ship is like 40ys on earth so characters and conversations become kind of wierd as sombody talks to another character over what is a matter of months to them, but an entire lifetime to the person at the other end of the conversation back on earth, wich is kind of mind bending.

I did it the other way around and was disappointed with the film...as is normally the case. The effects and pressures of Ender's position are just done much better. Had not heard many good things about the sequels so haven't read them.

Just started Homicide: A year on the killing streets.'

A big fan of The Wire so looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

Really enjoyed The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle #1) - Patrick Rothfuss.i was so annoyed that it ended when it did.it left me wanting more.can't wait until i get to the sequel

i'm starting all the follow-up books to the ones i've read this year.first up is Metro 2034 - Dmitry Glukhovsky

• Registered Users Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Really enjoyed The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle #1) - Patrick Rothfuss.i was so annoyed that it ended when it did.it left me wanting more.can't wait until i get to the sequel

i'm starting all the follow-up books to the ones i've read this year.first up is Metro 2034 - Dmitry Glukhovsky

Didn't know they had released an English translation. Will have to pick it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

Stephen kings "the wastelands" part of the dark tower series...the man has one fcuked up genius of a mind!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Almost finished American Psycho.

I saw the film years ago and found it quite forgettable and wondered what all the fuss/controversy was about. Having now read most of the book I see why. Pretty disturbing with very graphic descriptions of some pretty twisted scenes.

I am honestly at a loss as to whether I love it or hate it. One part of me thinks that if a book can affect you then it's obviously achieving what it set out to do and is brilliant writing. On the other hand I am wondering if it is just gratuitous violence/sadism for the sake of it.

Confused and disturbed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement