Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Chopper 2.

Not a literary genius by any means but this guy has a great sense of humour if you can believe it all.

I watched his last ever interview last week. Some dude alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Current reading The Cuckoo's Calling by Jo Rowling, just finished the Harry Potter series yet again and was craving some more of her writing, it's very good thus far although it is definitely a slow burner.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭garp

The long earth. [Terry Pratchett, Stephen Baxter]

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

After a marathon re-read of all the previous books I begin A Memory Of Light, Book 14 in The Wheel of Time.

Let the end begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Stephen King has announced a sequel to Christine on the back of the success of Dr Sleep. Which reminds me I got this as an Xmas gift and need to start reading it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

tallus wrote: »
    A Storm of Crows. I don't want any more surprises when Game of Thrones comes back next week.

Ծ_Ծ

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Started The Railway Man by Eric Lomax last night, seems good so far and is well written. I'm interested in Japanese POW experiences and it's had good reviews.

I always like a nice antidote after a sh1te book (just finished An Education) to take the memory away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

A Storm of Crows. I don't want any more surprises when Game of Thrones comes back next week.
    Storm of swords or Feast for crows? Love GOT but not staying up til 2am to watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Read A passage to india, the storyteller, silver bay, the one plus one and another book this week, and started A room of one's own
    (E.M. Forster, Jodi Picoult, Jojo Moyes, Jojo Moyes, Virginia Woolf)

Downloaded take me home as well, got used to the ol' chick lit this week for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

50% of the way through "The Luminaries", basically read a normal sized book there, and have put it down for a rest.

Picked up "Watchman" by Ian Rankin for €1 in Oxfam, have read all Rebus books. Not bad, bit slow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

nicomachean ethics By Aristotle LAD

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The Lost Continent: Travels in Small Town America by Bill Bryson

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭hernie

The Man Who Mistook His Wife For a Hat by Oliver Sacks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

The table in striped pijamas by lemonay snickers

• Registered Users Posts: 15,968 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

On Canaan's Side. Sebastian Barry, good story, but follows Barry's style again...old lady recalling her life. Sad story too. But when I finished it, I wasn't sure if I liked it or not! Cant
    explain, just one of those things...

Just finished the 100 yr old man. I enjoyed the first one third. Really did. Then started to flick over the pages when Kim il Sung or whatever came into the picture. And the elephant, and all the rest of it.

I did enjoy the bits I read, but don't think I missed anything by glossing over many of the political shenanigans. It got tedious. Although I get the picture.

But I stuck with it.

Best read of the last month? Last train to Liguria. Christine Dwyer Hickey. Dark in parts but mostly enjoyed the scenes in Italy.

That poor little neglected child.

Next up? The unlikely pilgrimage of Harold Fry, and The Crocodile by the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 psychoniamh

Finished the Book Thief which I adored. Really liked the authors style of writing. Now I'm reading "Goodnight Beautiful" by Dorothy Koomson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Catch me if you can. Very interesting and would definitely recommend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Catch me if you can. Very interesting and would definitely recommend.
    Not sure if that's a book or an ad in a dating site:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

5live wrote: »

Tis a film too apparently. Leonardo something or other is in it.

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Tis a film too apparently. Leonardo something or other is in it.

Leonardo di Turtle

• Advertisement

Hahaha!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭StinkySocs

Just read Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks - it was what it was..ya know?

Can anyone recommend some decent non fiction, like the immortal life of Henrietta Lack or Jon Ronson stuff, spent the last while reading nothing but novels and could use a change.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Flew through 'The Book Thief' last week, really enjoyed it. The narrative style was fantastic imo.

Halfway through Terry Pratchett's 'The Fifth Elephant', I could read his stuff forever.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Storm of swords or Feast for crows? Love GOT but not staying up til 2am to watch it.

A feast for Crows :-) (fixed) tho I gather folks knew which book I was talking about. Even if I didn't :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

A feast for Crows :-) (fixed) tho I gather folks knew which book I was talking about. Even if I didn't :-)
    I got confused with the titles a few times when I was reading them too:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend some decent non fiction, like the immortal life of Henrietta Lack or Jon Ronson stuff, spent the last while reading nothing but novels and could use a change.

Seabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand. The story of an unwanted lazy horse that became a champion. The book the film was based on. Great story, well told.

Empire of the Summer Moon by G C Wynne. True story of the taking and return of American settler children by the Apaches in Texas.

Both highlights for me in the past year or so

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bradt Pitt

The Dead Zone (Stephen King)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

The Numbers Game
    why everything you know about football is wrong
    Chris Anderson & David Sally

• Advertisement

Seabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand. The story of an unwanted lazy horse that became a champion. The book the film was based on. Great story, well told.

Empire of the Summer Moon by G C Wynne. True story of the taking and return of American settler children by the Apaches in Texas.

Both highlights for me in the past year or so

Both sound really interesting, thanks!

Edit, just downloaded Seabiscuit, getting stuck in now, thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement