Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Currently enjoying "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Mantinance."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

Bible :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,178 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Max Hastings "All Hell Let Loose"

On about p325 and still not 50% covered.

So far its excellent. Details ww2 very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I had started Captive in the Dark by CJ Roberts after a billion recommendations by one of my Goodreads groups, but I've given up only 19% in. In my opinion it goes way beyond the line of dubious consent and I don't want to read stuff like that. :mad:

So to cheer myself up I'm going to start Volume 12 of Yotsuba&! at lunchtime :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

StinkySocs wrote: »
    Just read Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks - it was what it was..ya know?

I don't, thankfully. I'm sure it had a bloke that repairs boats, and lives on another boat with a dog. A woman comes into his small town, damaged by life in the big city, they fall in love, fall out of love, get back together and live happily ever after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Franny and Zoey by JD Salinger. Love his writing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭John Cherry

Hitman: My Real Life in the Cartoon World of Wrestling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

The Blinding Knife by Brent Weeks. Part two of a trilogy. They're very good, but I couldn't even begin to describe them, they're not like anything I've read or come across before. Hoping to get a kindle for my birthday in June :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Last few:
    The Thousand Dollar Tan Line - Rob Thomas and Jennifer Graham
    Follows on from the "Veronica Mars" tv show and recent film. Features a young woman (Veronica) snubbing loftier career opportunities to go back to her roots as a PI in the fictional town of Neptune, California. Veronica is one of my favourite characters of all time. She's witty, smart and dedicates her life to catching the bad guys.

One thing I've always enjoyed about VM is that it delves into the tensions between the very rich and the very poor that you find in particular cities in the US and the police corruption than goes hand-in-hand with that.

The Worst Date Ever: or How It Took A Comedy Writer to Expose Africa's Secret War - Jane Bussmann
    This is a very unusual book. Bussmann was miserably-employed as a celebrity journalist in Hollywood when Ashton Kutcher got her fired. (Seriously).

She stumbled into more serious journalism in a chance meeting and suddenly found herself in Uganda, learning about Kony and his "Invisible Children" and how Kony himself really isn't the biggest issue.

It's a very funny book (I had to put it down to laugh more than once) but it is also deadly serious in its intent. Bussmann was a "Brass Eye" writer and it shows. These are real bad things Bussmann writes about. Real children being brutalised and weaponised and real politicians floundering about the place while they try not to damage their relationship with Uganda. It's a book that's very difficult to explain but it's definitely worth a read.

Divergent - Veronica Roth
    Read it because of the movie hype. Kind of like a more Godly Hunger Games. Enjoyable enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I'm about to start The Dragon Keeper by Robin Hobb. I haven't been ready to commit to a series for a while but I'm looking forward to it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭wispa9

A Dance with Dragons, GRRM. I've been binging on all things ASOIAF/GoT in the past month or so. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend some decent non fiction, like the immortal life of Henrietta Lack or Jon Ronson stuff, spent the last while reading nothing but novels and could use a change.
    The Battle of Bretton Woods: John Maynard Keynes, Harry Dexter White, and the Making of a New World Order
    http://www.amazon.com/Battle-Bretton-Woods-Relations-University/dp/0691162379/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1396958255&sr=1-1&keywords=benn+steil
    When turmoil strikes world monetary and financial markets, leaders invariably call for 'a new Bretton Woods' to prevent catastrophic economic disorder and defuse political conflict. The name of the remote New Hampshire town where representatives of forty-four nations gathered in July 1944, in the midst of the century's second great war, has become shorthand for enlightened globalization. The actual story surrounding the historic Bretton Woods accords, however, is full of startling drama, intrigue, and rivalry, which are vividly brought to life in Benn Steil's epic account.

Upending the conventional wisdom that Bretton Woods was the product of an amiable Anglo-American collaboration, Steil shows that it was in reality part of a much more ambitious geopolitical agenda hatched within President Franklin D. Roosevelt's Treasury and aimed at eliminating Britain as an economic and political rival. At the heart of the drama were the antipodal characters of John Maynard Keynes, the renowned and revolutionary British economist, and Harry Dexter White, the dogged, self-made American technocrat. Bringing to bear new and striking archival evidence, Steil offers the most compelling portrait yet of the complex and controversial figure of White--the architect of the dollar's privileged place in the Bretton Woods monetary system, who also, very privately, admired Soviet economic planning and engaged in clandestine communications with Soviet intelligence officials and agents over many years.

A remarkably deft work of storytelling that reveals how the blueprint for the postwar economic order was actually drawn, The Battle of Bretton Woods is destined to become a classic of economic and political history.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,178 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Max Hastings "All Hell Let Loose"

On about p325 and still not 50% covered.

So far its excellent. Details ww2 very well.

8/10 for me.

Finished it on lunch today.

Very well written and well detailed book on WW2. Not a easy read as other books, but if you want comprehensive book on WW2 this is your one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I kind of ground to a halt with Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee. I was so tired/busy some days that I didn't read it, so I lost track of the story and forgot who the various figures were. I'll try pick it up again another time when I have less on.

I've gone back to The Book Thief in the meantime. It's one of my favourite books, just wish it wasn't so heavy to read in bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 swanronson

Saw 'The Hot Zone' mentioned on the thread about ebola, picked up a copy and really enjoyed it, the whole opening description of the beginnings and patient zero was terrifying

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

The Three Pillars of Zen - Phillip Kapleau.

I'm finding it hard to read anything that isn't to do with meditation/consiousness at the moment. Looking forward to this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

niallo24 wrote: »
    Franny and Zoey by JD Salinger. Love his writing!
    I love his short stories, Nine Stories was terrific, particularly For Esme with Love and Squalor.

I'm reading The Blackwater Lightship by Colm Toibin at the moment. It's good but I'm not loving it. The dialog seems really stilted no matter what character is speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 swanronson

I finished Clive Barkers Books of Blood 1-3 recently, had been meaning to read some of his stuff for a while and figured I'd start at the beginning, wasn't too impressed overall, maybe it's because he has influenced other writers over the years or that his ideas aren't really fresh anymore (they were written in the 80's) Can anyone recommend anything else he's written?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

Skeleton Crew - Stephen King, and The Fog - James Herbert, which I was surprised to learn has nothing to do with the movie of the same name.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    The Worst Date Ever: or How It Took A Comedy Writer to Expose Africa's Secret War - Jane Bussmann
    This is a very unusual book. Bussmann was miserably-employed as a celebrity journalist in Hollywood when Ashton Kutcher got her fired. (Seriously).

She stumbled into more serious journalism in a chance meeting and suddenly found herself in Uganda, learning about Kony and his "Invisible Children" and how Kony himself really isn't the biggest issue.

It's a very funny book (I had to put it down to laugh more than once) but it is also deadly serious in its intent. Bussmann was a "Brass Eye" writer and it shows. These are real bad things Bussmann writes about. Real children being brutalised and weaponised and real politicians floundering about the place while they try not to damage their relationship with Uganda. It's a book that's very difficult to explain but it's definitely worth a read.

Sounds good. Think I'll give this a go. Thanks for the tip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

American Rust, its very good and well written.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

Perfect by Rachel Joyce, it's great

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Closely Observed Trains by Bohumil Hrabel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

swanronson wrote: »
    I finished Clive Barkers Books of Blood 1-3 recently, had been meaning to read some of his stuff for a while and figured I'd start at the beginning, wasn't too impressed overall, maybe it's because he has influenced other writers over the years or that his ideas aren't really fresh anymore (they were written in the 80's) Can anyone recommend anything else he's written?

the damnation game. Weaveworld. Cabal.(Helllraiser)

Awesome writer.

Failing that. Read " In the name of the wind" by Patrick Rothfuss. = Unreal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

You're Okay, It's Just A Bruise by Rob Huizenga M.D.

The story of a young doctor who was hired by the L.A. Raiders football team in 1983 to be the team internist. Dr. Huizenga worked on the sidelines and in the locker room for every game the Raiders played. The first year he was there was the L.A. Raiders of the early '80's; the silver-and-black team of renegades and rebels who steamrolled all before them and claimed the Super Bowl. But from that high point, things could only go downhill... rapidly.

This book chronicles the 10 years Huizenga spent with the Raiders, the 10 years he spent in the trenches of the NFL. Getting hurt and partying hard was the name of the game for the players, with the team doctors struggling to keep up and keep them playing.

This book tells it all. The mind games and methods of the Raiders' owner Al Davis. The truth about performance-enhancing drugs and steroid use in the NFL. The pressure players were under to play and perform, even when they were threatened with severe, career-ending injuries. And, of course, the wild life and tragic death of Lyle Alzado (a legendary Raiders defensive end, who died allegedly as a result of his use and abuse of anabolic steroids).

This is a brilliant book, told with humour in parts, tragedy in others. Well worth a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Enjoyed Downturn Abbey, but every time there was a "Yeah, no" ... :mad:

Max Brooks - World War Z. I hear the movie was an utter crap compared to the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Barna77 wrote: »

Max Brooks - World War Z. I hear the movie was an utter crap compared to the book.

It's a completely different tale altogether, and aye leans on the side of utter scutter.

Ahm reading Crime by Irvine Welsh. It's the sequel to Filth. So far it's really good, but has been invading my dreams in a negative way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

'The Son' by Jo Nesbo

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Started and enjoying a river runs through it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

bluewolf wrote: »
    Started and enjoying a river runs through it

I really enjoyed the film. Let us know what you think of the book.

Am reading a Diane Chamberlain novel called Secret Lives and enjoying it. I find her books great if I want something easy and quick to read.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement