Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭JumpShivers

I finally finished Philomena by Martin Sixsmith.
    I've had the book since before Christmas, just couldn't get into it at all.

I didn't like the main character at all - I disliked the way he drifted between relationships (I can understand why), but at times, he was just so unlikeable.
    Another thing: the pictures in the middle of the book, the first set showed everything that had happened up to that point, the second... Showed a little of how it was to end, so unfortunately, I knew a fair bit what was to happen.

I'm looking forward to seeing the film adaption...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

War of Art by Steven Pressfield

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Adamantium wrote: »
    War of Art by Steven Pressfield
    I'd love to know how you get on.

I started it a while back and didn't like it but I'm wondering whether I should buckle down and finish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

The Wreck of the Mary Deare - Hammond Innes

Again. Really enjoy his seafaring stuff.

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    I'd love to know how you get on.

I started it a while back and didn't like it but I'm wondering whether I should buckle down and finish it.

It's pretty short, and could be finished in a solid 2 hours.

It absolutely nails "Resistance", so much so, that I don't think I will ever forget what to call that aching knowing that you should do something, but are resisting it.

No BS at all, and that can be hard to take :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

The Wind Up Bird Chronicle by Murakami. It's very good so far, as with most of his books there isn't really much of a plot and it's often quite surreal.

An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth by Chris Hadfield.

When I look at scumbag junkies and trackies, it boggles my mind how the human race has so much variation and diversity.

I bought The Making of Modern Britain by Andrew Marr on the current Kindle monthly deal yesterday (1.19stg, usually 9stg) and have found it hard to put down, very enjoyable read for anyone into a bit of social/political history. Not too heavy and well written.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

Barna77 wrote: »
    Enjoyed Downturn Abbey, but every time there was a "Yeah, no" ... :mad:

Max Brooks - World War Z. I hear the movie was an utter crap compared to the book.

I liked the film but it didnt resemble the book at all. Or only very loosely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Between books at the moment (though dipping into some PG Wodehouse) but just thought I'd mention the sad passing of one of the world's great authors today. He's become one of my favourite writers over the past few years & I'd really recommend works like 100 Years of Solitude to anyone looking for an incredibly rewarding read, even if at times a bit challenging. He's been mentioned on this thread a few times, by both fans & the occasional detractor. Que descanse en paz. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I would like to read a book that I Will remember in twenty years time because it made such an impact on my consciousness any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

On Green Dolphin Street by Sebastian Faulks, not bad, evokes why Kennedy was so important to America after the McCarthy era of fear and suspicion and how America felt it was losing the Space race and maybe even the Cold War.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

K-9 wrote: »
    On Green Dolphin Street by Sebastian Faulks, not bad, evokes why Kennedy was so important to America after the McCarthy era of fear and suspicion and how America felt it was losing the Space race and maybe even the Cold War.

Man I did not enjoy that book

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Rory Gallagher

Doing How Many Miles to Babylon for the leaving,It's alright I suppose but then again it's compulsory so I may never know what it means to truly enjoy(Being forced to read something somehow leads me not enjoying the novel(or novella as its really short) as much as I would if I had committed myself to reading it my own terms).
    I'm enjoying it's portrayal of Class division and any book that has a recommendation of oul Roddy Doyle can't all that bad.

In my spare time I'm going through James Joyce's short story collection 'Dubliners' again. I've found more appreciation for the story A little cloud than previously when I read it.Seriously effective stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Man I did not enjoy that book

Have to say I don't see what the fuss about Faulks is, the affair stuff is pretty boring, I'm a sucker for Kennedy era stuff though.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Just started Berlin: The Downfall by Anthony Beevor. On hearing of the death of Gabriel García Márquez, am tempted to give One Hundred Years of Solitude another go...just couldn't get into it the first time.

Just started Berlin: The Downfall by Anthony Beevor. On hearing of the death of Gabriel García Márquez, am tempted to give One Hundred Years of Solitude another go...just couldn't get into it the first time.

While 100 Years is definitely worth the effort maybe try one of his easier books first before tackling it. Chronicle of a Death Foretold would be a great introduction to his work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

K-9 wrote: »
    Have to say I don't see what the fuss about Faulks is, the affair stuff is pretty boring, I'm a sucker for Kennedy era stuff though.

I loved Birdsong but have been solidly disappointed by all his other stuff since.

Just got a copy handed to me of the novel by singer/songwriter Josh Ritter. No idea how good or bad it will be to be honest - but the blurb is - relatively speaking to how blurb on book covers usually is - quite promising indeed. Including some high praise from Neil Gaiman.

No one on the thread that I have noticed has mentioned a SF novel called "The Sparrow". It would be on my recommend list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

The Man who mistook his wife for a hat by Oliver Sachs. Really not enjoying this one, I thought it would be right up my street, I just find that he goes on and on, I can't get through more than two pages without falling asleep. Determined to finish it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Eroticplants

Junkie by William Burroughs, would encourage everyone to read it.

Great book, found it easier to read than Naked Lunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Queer is worth reading as well if you've not got around to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Read 100 years of solitude and felt like it took 100 years to finish it. Don't get the big fuss about the book at all but obviously its always sad to hear of someone passing.

Reading a book a friend has just gotten published. I know a published author!! His first book but getting compared to Terry Pratchett in reviews and really enjoying it so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Emlie

Looking for Leon - Shirley Benton

No I wouldn't recommend it...its pretty average and a bit try-hard. Its getting slowly better but still is probably the worst book I've ever read. I'm only reading it because it's been locked in my bookpress for 3 years after getting it as a xmas present and everytime I've started it I've always stopped reading it. This time I'm determined to finish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Gyladene

Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill. I don't scare easily, but I can't read this one right before bed. Very creepy.

Gyladene wrote: »
    Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill. I don't scare easily, but I can't read this one right before bed. Very creepy.

I read and enjoyed that, but didn't think it was that creepy! I'd never read Joe Hill before, but I wasn't surprised to find out he's Stephen Kings son, he's influenced by his fathers style for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry. It's very good. Shaken up after it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The Big Nowhere, the 2nd in James Ellroy's L.A. Quartet. Tough going, I have to say: 1950s L.A. was a helluva place to live, and quite an easy place in which to die horribly, it seems. One character is an early version of a C.S.I., but C.S.I. this ain't. :eek:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement